Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood pigeon - any advise ????

Options
  • 13-09-2008 3:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

I rescued what I think is a wood pigeon from the city centre that had got it's self trapped between buildings to high to get out of, I can still see yellow/green feathers around the neck and he is small don't know how to age birds but he's still a baby.

I have rescued many birds but only one African seagull ever survived, turns out he just needed to rest after his long journey, as this is very young and the advise I have been given is that he was plucked from the nest by a sparrow hawk as all the featers on his back are missing

I can feel he is very tin but looks uninjured but not sure other than frozen pea's that I can feed him, he seems very sweet and listens to me when I talk so I don't think I'll have probloms handling him but not sure how to care for him and want to give him the best chance I can.

Any advise on food or care would be great, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Crops like cabbages, sprouts, peas and grain. Also buds, shoots, seeds, nuts and berries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd recommend bringing it to the Vets on the junction of NCR & Infirmary Rd, right at the park gates.

Their well used to people bringing injuried animals from the park into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Does it have a white band around it's neck and a white band on the wings ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

No white bands, it has alot of what seem to be adult feathers coming in but very few on it's back, he is very thin and I'm surprised he's lasted this long with me I've never had luck were birds are concerned, he will be going to the vet on Monday and hopefully every thing will check out OK.
    I got good advise from Animal magic wild life rescue in limerick but I know he is just out of the hospital so I don't want to bother him.

I have given him pea's I tuck of the shells but even the half pieces seem a bit to big for him, he has however taken soon ready breck and wheat a bic's and looks better today and he's starting to come to me when I call him.

He is the youngest pigeon I've ever seen so I can only assume he should still be in the nest.

Would bird seed from the shops be OK for him or is there a pet shop around that sells pigeon feed that would suit him better, I don't mind the cost even if I have to buy it in big bags, as he'll be here a while yet if he survives me and any animal - bird under my care always gets 100% of what they need.

I'll post some pictures soon that might help to tell what he is and his age.

Thank you's for all your advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Crops like cabbages, sprouts, peas and grain. Also buds, shoots, seeds, nuts and berries.

Salt & pepper seasoning, and stock and we're good to go :p

• Advertisement

004jpg

005jpg

006jpg

011.jpg

I'm not sure if these can be seen.

The last one is blurred but I have a pencil in front of him to try and show his size.

Not sure how to put photo's up.

Mairt wrote: »
    Salt & pepper seasoning, and stock and we're good to go :p

HA HA HA :eek: Not much meat on this one to go around, give it another week or two and I might sell to the highest bidder for dinner along with a date with Bertie hehehe:D

I was actually thinking how a pigeon would taste lately. (watching too much gordan ramsey for my own good:o)

So are my eleven cats, they only figured he was there tonight because he was singing at me and they heard him.

He's already coming to me when I call him and has gotten use to how I handle him, but tonight he was really cold, so I put him between the palms of my hands and he just fell right of to sleep so I put a heater near his box and covered him over and of he went, just hope I don't cook him :D

But I'm worried he didn't eat much today and I hope to get him to the vets as early as possible tomorrow, he has lettuce and carrot with my mothers nut and raisin mix (she swears she bought a pack :confused:) and for dessert granola bar crumbs and wild bird seed with a completing bowl of water.

They don't look very pretty at that age but they do grow on you, he won't even let me put him down instead he try's to run up my arm and loves to rub his beck on my nose he is very sweet and very bright.

The girls that found him called him Charlie bird and didn't want to leave him alone over the weekend, as he was trap more or less in a pit he couldn't fly out of between buildings, SPCA said to leave him alone he'll be fine even after they explain he was just a babe, I got a call all the way from Limerick to go help him.

I'm just worried because birds don't survive long with me and not that the cats eat them.

aww i really hope he will be ok, from my own experience helping injured animals, especially birds are the most crushing because they go downhill very fast.
    I think maybe they cannot handle stress like other animals but if he is eating and drinking on a regular interval i'd say he'll be ok as he is walking around looking for you! that is so sweet.

• Advertisement

Poor Charlie passed away before I could take him to the vet he was fine earlier and I seen no rush but I should have gone earlier I could kick myself now, he let me put him in his blanket and cover him over for the night and he was sitting here with me earlier even tryed to fly ( probably trying to get away for the bird killer me )

The kids found him when they came back from school almost lifeless and throwing the head back ( I know that sign well ) but he still seemed to know who I was, but he passed within a few minutes after that, the poor little thing was so skinny I'm not sure if he was getting enough into him or if he was just to young for the food I was giving him, it's sad as I was just getting use to him flicking ready breck at me and running away with the carrot stick I mess with him with to make sure he was getting water into him, only a pigeon I know but we all deserve a chance and I knew this one was smart was even thinking of building a house for him so he could live wild but I could still keep an eye on him.:(:(:(

RIP LITTLE ONE.

Thank you for the help anyway everyone, next time I think I'll just post for a bird rescuer to come get them I think I'm best of sticking with the mammals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I was actually thinking how a pigeon would taste lately. (watching too much gordan ramsey for my own good:o)

Delicious. ;)

Advertisement