Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

shipping car from uk to dublin

Options
  • 13-09-2008 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hello,

Im looking for some advice!

Im considering purchasing a car from a private seller only problem is that the car is located in london.its an irish reg car so no vrt (i think).he tells me that i will recieve all title/service hist. documentation with the car.Also the shipping/insurance and handling costs included in price.I dont want to go into this further without better knowledge of the process.checks on car/shipping/payment situation etc!

would greatly appreciate any advice from people with experience in this area ,general comments also welcome.

thanks RD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Tell us when he askes you to place a 20% deposit in an escrow account and he says you can pay the rest when you receive the car.

We will then tell you to run a focking mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'd suggest you fly over and drive it back yourself. At least that way you can see what you're getting before handing over your hard-earned.

I wasn't kidding with my first post, I'm sick of the times UK 'sellers' have asked for this deposit up front.

By anyway, to put it bluntly, you need your head examined if you don't pay for a RAC engineer check, a full Finance check, if you don't travel to see the car in person, and if you hand a single penny over without having the car in your possession with all the required paperwork intact and correct.

If it costs you 600 quid to do all this it will be the best 600 you have ever spent.

Otherwise your buying a unsaleable nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

While it is possible that this is genuine (about 2% chance), I really would bet its a scam. Walk away from it. Either its just a picture of a irish car and they are looking for money lodged in 'independant' account prior to delivery of this car that they dont own or it could be any one of a hundred different scams involving stolen english car with irish reg etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sounds seriously dodgy. Why would anyone be selling an Irish-registered car in the UK?

At least when it's UK to Ireland, you know that it's a dealer who's imported the car for subsequent registration here and everyone's doing it because it makes economic sense.

What you're describing just somehow don't add up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 devereux08

hello again!

thanks for replies so far.

heres some more info!

the guy tells met hat the car is in the shipping garage
    ill have to pay €1500 to the shipping co.who hold on to that money (in trustfund) and then once it arrives i have ten days to look over and accept the car and pay the remaining balance which is about €5000.If i refuse the car all money will be refunded!

He also again says that the car is an irish reg but he didnt want to register it in u.k due to high costs and that the shipping co. helps with with getting it registered in ireland with out any extra cost to me!

SOUND DODGY???

alarm bells are ringing in my head,

what do you guys think of above?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

SCAM

end of discussion, really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

devereux08 wrote: »
    hello again!

thanks for replies so far.

heres some more info!

the guy tells met hat the car is in the shipping garage
    ill have to pay €1500 to the shipping co.who hold on to that money (in trustfund) and then once it arrives i have ten days to look over and accept the car and pay the remaining balance which is about €5000.If i refuse the car all money will be refunded!

He also again says that the car is an irish reg but he didnt want to register it in u.k due to high costs and that the shipping co. helps with with getting it registered in ireland with out any extra cost to me!

SOUND DODGY???

alarm bells are ringing in my head,

what do you guys think of above?

Scam scam scam - run away.

Was it listed on carzone with only an email address contact?

no he has an irish contact number listed

Hammertime wrote: »
    Tell us when he askes you to place a 20% deposit in an escrow account and he says you can pay the rest when you receive the car.

We will then tell you to run a focking mile.

I must be psychic !

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jebus mate, will you cop on - it is a scam!

Not your ornery onager

thanks guys

pretty clear now that its a scam
    i asked him twice for reg no. and both times he ignored!how do these feckers get away with it.do autotrader not have some kinda screening process.IM going to drag him along for a while and waste his time as he did mine
    will post the dodgy add here soon

:D RD

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

thanks guys

i asked him twice for reg no. and both times he ignored!how do these feckers get away with it.do autotrader not have some kinda screening process.IM going to drag him along for a while and waste his time as he did mine

The screening process should be that you go view/test drive the car before putting a deposit on it.

At the end of the day the likes of autotrader only provide a service where people can advertise something they are selling, it is up to the buyer to be vigilant. Personally I would never consider even putting a deposit on a car that I did not view or test drive in the flesh first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cabbott

as others have said before, SCAM sounds to dodgy for me, i saw an irish car for sale in uk once when i was in college in uk, a friend wanted to go and look at it, i went and saw it for the crack, what a chancer, didnt even have log book, and wanted to charge us a tener for his time when we said we werent interested, we basically told him where to go. i bought my present car from uk without looking at it, BUT my cousin who knew a bit about calibras and i trusted, went and looked at it for me, and left £50 deposit, then i flew over to view it, pay the rest, and drive home, if you really want to secure the sale with a deposit, leave a very small one, that way you can walk away with minimal loss. this is just my advice.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

please stop posting in bold and italics - its not necessary!
    thanks guys

Autotrader et al cannot verify any of the cars on sale unless they physically see them and run HPI type checks on them. However, they wouldn't need to if dumb cretins wouldn't part with €1500 deposit on an Irish car that is parked in Azerbyjan or wherever!
    These scams work because people are too complacent with their money! Many folk still walk up to a dealer, kick a few tyres and then buy the car without having any checks done. For what is usually the second biggest purchase people make, it really is quite careless!

Advertisement