Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mobile for coverage

• 13-09-2008 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Hi lads.

Can anybody suggest a mobile phone that picks up network coverage the best. I'm in a bit of a coverage blackhole here. Im using the 3 network which is useless.
    I have found Vodafone the best so far. Im thinking of going back to Vodafone and getting a new phone, (I have a Nokia E65 and A Nokia E50?)

Anyway, both are crap for coverage. I know its all to do with where i am in relation to the mast. But is there any brand or model of phone that is noted for its ability to pick up coverage the best.

Im sick of having to go out to the back garden and climb a tree to make or receive a phone call....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I hear ya! I have a Nokia E50 and although it's a great phone it doesnt seem to pick up the signal very well. My wife has better luck with her old dinosaur of a phone, not sure what model it is though. We are both on Vodafone.

You should count yourself lucky though, we don't have a tree in our garden to climb :D. My fingers are wrecked from clawing my way up the pebbledash...

Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Head wrote: »
    I hear ya! I have a Nokia E50 and although it's a great phone it doesnt seem to pick up the signal very well.

It a great phone and seems to have just about everything....

except the ability to make and recieve phone calls..

Catpiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Meh, Im only bumping this up, (sorry mods)

But i really need some advice on this. Are there any rating sites anyone knows about where i may get some impartial info. A phone shop salesman will only try to make a sale...

Any advice would be great, im going up the walls here with calls being dropped and broken conversations..

Thanks in advance.

Caoimhin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Have you tried setting your phone to use standard GPRS instead of looking for a 3G signal ?

This might not work with 3 though cos it's a 3G network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

long_b wrote: »
    Have you tried setting your phone to use standard GPRS instead of looking for a 3G signal?

Good point... I think this improved my mobile phone experience with a Nokia I had a few years ago, prior to the E50. The service was dropping all the time when flitting between GPRS and 3G (obviously I must be living in an area that is borderline 3G) but when I switched it to just GPRS it was much more reliable...

caoibhin you must have particularly bad coverage / bad phone where you are coz my E50 doesnt seem to be quite as bad as your description of not being able to make or receive a call...

I wonder what it is that makes some phones better at handling a signal than others. Any technical wizards out there know the answer?

Head

PS: Here are some links that might be able to help you...

http://discussions.nokia.ie/discussions/board/message?board.id=phones&message.id=40074

http://discussions.nokia.ie/discussions/board/message?board.id=phones&message.id=34157

Enjoy.

H Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

My e65 has been back a few times for Signal problems, Sending it back again once I back it up, it's barley picking up any signal at the moment and dropping it straight away.....it's not a network problem with my phone it's definatley the phone itself, send it for repair...

Op is right, if your having 3G signal problems where you are lock your 3 phone onto the local vodafone signal....

Personally I think Voda/02 is best for coverage, I'm just not prepared to pay the extra premium....saying that i used my 02 sim in my e65 and it nearly drove me nuts, it was constantly jumping 02 networks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

You should try post on GSM Arena.

www.gsmarena.com

The are a phone review site and have a forum

Advertisement