Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Maternity Unit

Options
  • 13-09-2008 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Does anybody have any experience of the ante natal checks at the hospital? Do you have a long wait for appointments etc. Also I've heard about a midwife clinic, has anybody else been there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Mrs.T wrote: »
    Does anybody have any experience of the ante natal checks at the hospital? Do you have a long wait for appointments etc. Also I've heard about a midwife clinic, has anybody else been there?

Yeah, I went public in Sligo with my no. 1 3 years ago. The wait for the first visit was very long, subsequent ones not as long. Get there early, its a first come, first served basis. I'm going to attend the midwife clinic this time around, but havent had an appointment yet, as the first one (last week) has to be with the consultant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Thanks Quackles! I had our wee man there just about 3 years ago. We didn't move here till I was 25 weeks pregnant then so I'm totally new to the early pregnancy care (it is still super early).
    Will you keep me posted about the midwife clinic please? Where is it and how do you apply and is it for private and/or public?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Congratulations Mrs T, Mr T and the wee man ;)

Thanks Quackles! I had our wee man there just about 3 years ago. We didn't move here till I was 25 weeks pregnant then so I'm totally new to the early pregnancy care (it is still super early).
    Will you keep me posted about the midwife clinic please? Where is it and how do you apply and is it for private and/or public?

Thank you!

Congratulations :) I told the GP from day one that I wanted to attend the midwife clinic (it's public too, but I prefer midwives and apparantly the waits are shorter). It's still in Sligo General, not sure if they do the satellite clinics like the consultants do. I was told the first appointment had to be with the consultant, and at that visit, I told the nurse booking me in that I wanted to attend the midwife clinic, I'll probably be called for that in 6 weeks. I'll let you know how I get on! As for early pregnancy care, I didn't see the consultant at all til 21 weeks and had my scan at 20 weeks, it was all GP until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Congratulations Mr and Mrs T! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Wow, Congrats to you Mrs and Mr. T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Ahh I didn't know,well done.This is great news,I'm so happy for you both.

Your going to have yourselves,wee man and (wee wee man/woman)?

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

awww many congrats, thats great news.
    I had both mine in Sligo general, but it was so long ago I can't remember much about the check up appointments.
    Best of luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'm delighted for the three of you! A brother or sister for the wee man, and another fan to boost the Rovers coffers in the future!

The very best wishes to you all. x

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So you weren't on the boards all the time ;)

Congrats.

• Advertisement

Awww, thank you everybody! It still is early days, so we hope that everything goes well the next few weeks to get us passed the "crucial" stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

Congratultations Mr. & Mrs. T very exciting news.
    I had my little one at Sligo General last year. If I remember the order properly I went to the GP to confirm the pregnancy and she told me to go back to her when I was twelve weeks for a check up and at that stage she sent the letter to the hospital to arrange my first appointment. My GP is registered for the combined care programme, I think most are, so that means you see your GP for every second visit. When she was sending the letter to the hospital she asked me if I had any preference as to which consultant I wanted to see and mentioned the midwives clinic. The midwives clinic wasn't an option for me as apparently I was classified as elderly for a first time mum :) (I'm not that old honestly!) and my GP wanted me to see a doctor on each visit. I have heard great reports about the midwives clinic though. Each consultant has different days for their clinics, I was under Dr. Gill and his clinic was on a Monday morning, I always found if I was there at ten to nine for a nine o'clock appt I would usually be out of there by half nine. Also if you arrive before nine you can usually get parked in the outpatients car park at the front of the hospital. I don't know what day the midwives clinic is on but I'm pretty sure it starts at 2 (at least it did last year!)

Anyway congrats again and check out the pregnancy thread.

Sulukie

Thanks Sulukie! Monday morning does sound promising..... I have the choice of Sligo or Manorhamilton. I went to M'hamilton with our wee man and I was fed up of waiting for an hour and a half before somebody came down from Sligo for a 5 minute appointment.
    I wonder if I'll be too old.....
    I'm also considering a home bith, anybody know anything about this? Is it frowned upon.
    I know I should ask Doc/nurse but they don't want to see me for 3 weeks to give the first bloods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

muffler wrote: »
    So you weren't on the boards all the time ;)

Congrats.

no we have other hobbies too!;) to be onest it was probaly during the power cut!:D

I'd be surprised if a home birth would be frowned upon as long as everything is textbook.

That said, it might be a little bit more difficult to convince them since unlike in Dublin, if you have a home birth in Dromahair you're what, 30 minutes away from hospital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

I know someone who had a home birth in Castlebaldwin so it is possible, I don't know anything about what arrangements need to be made though. I assume a midwife would need to be there - unless Mr. T wants to do the honours :) maybe with a web cam so that all the sligo boardsies can check out the new arrival :rolleyes:

I realise the webcam thing was a joke, but....

*sideshow bob shudder*

Think I'll pass for the webcam!!!

Xiiney do you need anymore photo's for portfolio?........;):rolleyes::P
    We're only about 15 mins away from Sligo.

If you mean taking photos of a newborn, I was already going to beg to do it ;)

Your distended hooha with a crowning infant? Er, not so much.

15 minutes for the ambulance to arrive in dromahair, 15 minutes getting back = 30 minutes

Xiney wrote: »
    If you mean taking photos of a newborn, I was already going to beg to do it ;)

Your distended hooha with a crowning infant? Er, not so much.

15 minutes for the ambulance to arrive in dromahair, 15 minutes getting back = 30 minutes

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha! I have to admit I try not to think of distended hooha's coz it makes me a bit sqeamish.

It'll take Mr T 10 minutes to get to Sligo and he's desperate to have a high speed drive to the hospital. It was so calm with the wee man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Xiney wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if a home birth would be frowned upon as long as everything is textbook.

That said, it might be a little bit more difficult to convince them since unlike in Dublin, if you have a home birth in Dromahair you're what, 30 minutes away from hospital?

not when I'm driving!! o, haha mrs T put that in already!:D

Thanks Sulukie! Monday morning does sound promising..... I have the choice of Sligo or Manorhamilton. I went to M'hamilton with our wee man and I was fed up of waiting for an hour and a half before somebody came down from Sligo for a 5 minute appointment.
    I wonder if I'll be too old.....
    I'm also considering a home bith, anybody know anything about this? Is it frowned upon.
    I know I should ask Doc/nurse but they don't want to see me for 3 weeks to give the first bloods.

I went to Manorhamilton for my first visit (Manor girl, weeey).. Consultant (Dr. Sallam) arrived fairly late alright, didn't really notice it at the time because I was doing all my booking in stuff for the first visit. I could see how that could get tiresome :) I don't think you'd be considered too old for the midwife clinic (assuming you're not in your 70s!), there's a difference between 1st and subsequent children. I'm sure your GP will advise!

Advertisement