Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$ to Euro Conversion for sale of US Shares

Options
  • 13-09-2008 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about selling some shares in the US, and am just wondering what is the best method to lose the least on the exchange?

1) Receive via cheque in USD $ ?
    2) Receive via wire in USD $ ?
    3) Receive via wire in EURO ?

I know what I need to do from a tax standpoint, however just wondering on the transfer/exchange/conversion, what's best?

Thought's welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I would say get a chq in $ and shop around for the best exchange rate. If nothing suits then stick the chq in a USD hold/savings account till your get a good rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I would say get a chq in $ and shop around for the best exchange rate. If nothing suits then stick the chq in a USD hold/savings account till your get a good rate.

What's is a USD hold/savings account ? Where would I get one ?

Also, how long would it take a US cheque to clear ? Is there anyway / where to expedite this ?

eddiem74 wrote: »
    What's is a USD hold/savings account ? Where would I get one ?

Also, how long would it take a US cheque to clear ? Is there anyway / where to expedite this ?

If its just to hold $ for a while most banks do them. There is a minimum deposit needed. Ask your bank for info.

US chq depending on bank have no real limit on returning a chq unpaid. You could get your bank to send the chq on collection. This could take a few weeks.

If its just to hold $ for a while most banks do them. There is a minimum deposit needed. Ask your bank for info.

Ok, so would they actually process the cheque and then just hold the $ amount in that account until I decided to convert it to euro ? Or when I decided to convert would only then the cheque be sent to clear ? Also, is a hold account something I have to setup in my own name ?

Thanks again !

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Ok, so would they actually process the cheque and then just hold the $ amount in that account until I decided to convert it to euro ? Or when I decided to convert would only then the cheque be sent to clear ? Also, is a hold account something I have to setup in my own name ?

Thanks again !

They would process the chq and then you'd simple have an account in $. If its for a large amount they would normally send the chq on a collection basis to make sure the funds are good.

There is should be no fees for having the account and you should get interest on whats there. Also bear in mind that access to the account is not straight forward and can take a bit of form filling to get the cash out. But I am not talking days, more maybe 20/30 mins and then its normally sent to that dept for processing. Also contact your branch and tell them your looking to do it as waiting around at the counter is just a pain in the arse.

As for the name on the account, it would be in your name..... strange question :confused: Who else name would you be putting it in?

• Advertisement

As for the name on the account, it would be in your name..... strange question :confused: Who else name would you be putting it in?

Ok, thanks.

To your comment, I didn't know much about such account, so did not know if the bank held it in a special account under my name or whether it meant me actually opening a new account. Learn something new every day...... ! :)

Advertisement