Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A player all fans love and respect?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Quinner is sound as **** in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Seaneh wrote: »
    Gary Neville is hated by anyone who doesnt support UTD because of his total lack of footballing ability and still being paid 70k+ per week and playing premiership football.

He's a ****ing wanker to boot.

Dont know/care if he was a wanker or not , But he was a fine footballer in his day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Zola
    Given
    Pele
    Giggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

paul mcgrath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

bohsman wrote: »
    packie bonner
    Seems to be widely disliked anytime a thread comes up about bumping into footballers around the place.

good reason for that too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think you have now managed to find a player who is almost universally despised :) From the guy next down on the liver transplant list after seeing Best get a new liver and then getting drunk a lot to the wives who he was never afraid of taking his frustrations out on.
    gixerfixer wrote: »
    Do you mean George "wife beater" Best.....Yeah there's a player to love and look up to alright
    Oh right so this has not about soccer then, its about everything you did in your life.

So you two name a footballer then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

scholes
    baresi
    matthaus
    sammer
    del piero
    nedved
    van nistlerooy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Seaneh wrote: »
    Gary Neville is hated by anyone who doesnt support UTD because of his total lack of footballing ability and still being paid 70k+ per week and playing premiership football.

For someone with a total lack of footballing ability, he's managed to hoodwink one of the most successful football managers of all time to keep him as first choice right full for about 10 years. In addition to pulling the wool of the eyes of five different England managers to get into the top 10 of most capped English players ever. Some chancer, that boy...

I would add to the votes for Ole and Zola for proper gentleman. Even though he makes some bad tackles, I think Scholes has the respect of most players and fans.

smemon wrote: »
    Zola
    Given
    Pele
    Giggs
    How could you respect someone that was stupid enough to join West Ham?
    How could you respect someone who obviously has no personal ambition?
    How could you respect someone that has criticised other footballers for their off field antics, its none of his business.
    Didn't he go off with an ex youth team mates ex and some of the United lads were not happy about it, there were even rumours of him being sold to Inter Milan

As others pointed out above its not all about football, your whole life comes into it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

stovelid wrote: »
    For someone with a total lack of footballing ability, he's managed to hoodwink one of the most successful football managers of all time to keep him as first choice right full for about 10 years. In addition to pulling the wool of the eyes of five different England managers to get into the top 10 of most capped English players ever. Some chancer, that boy...

I would add to the votes for Ole and Zola for proper gentleman. Even though he makes some bad tackles, I think Scholes has the respect of most players and fans.

scholes has very little respect. As for Neville he is hated by most fans, can't believe even utd fans think he is loved and respected! Surprised even utd fans can love and respect him.

The only good thing to come out of him being born are the neville diaries
    The Gary Neville diaries
    Friday
    Put the cones out for Sir today and he glanced at me. Made me feel special. He never looks at Phil like that. Told Mum and she said I have to share but that's not fair because I got to the cones first. Moustache looks a bit thicker today.

Saturday
    Won today but I didn't play :-( Watched MUTV all night to see whether Sir said he missed me. Am sure they edited it out. Hung out with Rio until he told me to 'go away innit'. Will tell Sir tomorrow. Deffo not a penalty today - gave that girl Boa Morte a nasty stare after the game to let him know that I know. Man in wheelchair laughed at my moustache. Cried myself to sleep.

Sunday
    Took Sir an apple. But Weasley :-) gave him a bottle of red wine so he'll probably play on Tuesday. Creep. Went to Mum's for dinner but she tried to make me eat sprouts and then laughed when I banged my fists on the kitchen lino. She won't laugh again. Read Sir's book in bed. Coloured in moustache with marker. Looks manly.

Monday
    Rained at training. Marker wasn't permanent.

Tuesday (early)
    Playing tonight so was definitely worth washing bibs for Sir. Looked at papers and I was in them again! Will put in scrapbook. So glad I said Porto don't act like men. Am really getting good at this mind games business. Photo on back of The Sun made my moustache look thin but Mum says it's just the ink. She says I look handsome.

Tuesday (late)
    Not fair. Not fair. Not fair. It was a goal and we should of won and someone pushed me and someone tried to hurt Ronaldo and the girls dived on the floor and the referee blew the whistle before we could score and they celebrated in front of OUR fans and that made me so angry but I had to go and tell the TV that they deserved it (they didn't and I had my fingers crossed. Ha!). It's just not fair because we're the best team in the whole wide world.

Have given Philip a Chinese burn for that free-kick and told Sir to sell him.

Wednesday
    Sir not happy today. He didn't even cheer up when I gave him my drawing. Wonder if he'll put it on his fridge with the others? Saw a small boy laughing at me so held him down until he said that Manchester United were the best team in the whole wide world. Feel better now. Bought some Re-Gane and put on top lip. Can't wait until the morning to see my bushy, manly 'tache.

Thursday
    Phoned David to ask him to ask Elton about hair transplants. He said he was, "too busy preparing for the quarter-finals of the Champions League". Am going to tell Sir and then I'm going to fly to Spain and then hold him down until he says that Manchester United are the best team in the whole wide world. And I'm going to take back the Man United sovereign ring I sent him for Christmas.

Update: Mum says I can't go to Spain.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    As for Neville he is hated by most fans, can't believe even utd fans think he is loved and respected! Surprised even utd fans can love and respect him.

The only good thing to come out of him being born are the neville diaries

I was just answering the total lack of footballing ability Neville post.

Obviously, I would never think GN is loved and respected by other fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'll always respect Paul Scholes purely for the fact that he doesn't have an agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Lots of good names mentioned so far.... one i dont think mentioned is Claude Makelele. Always plays the game with a smile on his face, quality player too. Dont think i can remember many major incidents with him in the past. Just get the vibe he's probably a real good bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

tony cascarino

That must surely be a joke. Ever read his columns? He's the most self involved tool to ever grace the football world.

Football365 do a great job of rippin the piss out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Bergkamp? sneaky, sly, always throwing elbows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Cannavaro

Marcel Desailly

Obviously Maldini

Brian McBride

Jimmy Bullard

Xabi Alonso

Buffon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Larsson - Agreed,seems very loyal ,could have stayed at United but had made a promise to Helsingborg even though he had the option to stay and win a premier league and a fistful of money!

Stayed at Celtic for years too, many say he lacked ambition but he loved the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Gary Neville was, arguably, the best right full in the prem for the best part of a decade, get over it

He is United through and through, other fans will dislike him for the same reason as United fans like him

This thread is a bit pointless isnt it? there isnt really a universally loved footballer

well, i have learned one thing, Buffon is a faschist?! always thought there was somethin dodgy about him alright

Copatetic, your posts are hilarious btw, you have alot of passive aggressiveness in you my man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

As an Inter fan I have a lot of respect for Javier Zanetti, he has stayed with Inter for so long even though he could have moved to other clubs where he would have won a lot more.

On the Maldini subject, I have a lot of respect for any player who is as loyal to a club as he has been to Milan, even if I do hate the club it doesn't change my opinion of the player. A model pro too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

kryogen wrote: »
    well, i have learned one thing, Buffon is a faschist?! always thought there was somethin dodgy about him alright

I don't know that he's a fascist, however, when he was young he was certainly an idiot. The 88 link to fascism is tenuous to say the least - you could make a similar argument that 88 means he was into fat birds!

His explanation at the time was that it meant dedication, strength and confidence (or some such)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Roberto Baggio

He talks to his fans via this blog aswell.

http://www.robertobaggio.com/en/

Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,043 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Maldini

Gary McAllister

Zola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Denis Law

And Crouchie seems like a top bloke and a decent enough footballer

Interviewer:"What would you be if you weren't a footballer?"
    Crouchie:"A virgin!"

Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Maldini

Zola

Larsson

J. Zanetti

Okocha.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Shearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

This is really a hard one as its very hard for opposing fans to like a player for any reason.

I've seen names like Gary Neville, Denis Bergkamp, Ole Gunnar etc.. being bandied about. Truth is they are legends in their own right to the respective fans. Opposing fans hate them. Well not really Ole, personally and I think I'd speak for the majoiry of non united fans here, could care less about him.

So for me it takes someone really special to have this accolade. English fans tend to like players like Nedved and Villa because they don't play in the league they support. If they played for an opposing team you'd have a different view. The only two players who have ever really stood up to this were Maldini and Van Basten.

The latter was hated by the psv and fey fans thats true yes but after '88 for some reason that changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I don't know that he's a fascist, however, when he was young he was certainly an idiot. The 88 link to fascism is tenuous to say the least - you could make a similar argument that 88 means he was into fat birds!

His explanation at the time was that it meant dedication, strength and confidence (or some such)

how did it mean that to him? curious here!

i know in right wing circles t shirts with the 88 on them are a nod to hitler,

88 = HH

bit off topic i guess, i still dont think it will be possible to find a universally loved player, or respected........some group will have a reason to dislike every player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Torres????

I know i have an unhealthy love, but i have never seen Utd fans say a bad word about him, in fact they usually just soil him with their compliments.

Loved in Spain, adored at Athletico, a demi god on merseyside, respected by all......

Surely Torres wasn't liked by Real fans, though him playing a league below would have helped i guess.

• Advertisement

iregk wrote: »

I've seen names like Gary Neville, Denis Bergkamp, Ole Gunnar etc.. being bandied about. Truth is they are legends in their own right to the respective fans. Opposing fans hate them. Well not really Ole, personally and I think I'd speak for the majoiry of non united fans here, could care less about him.

Agreed. The Man U fans seem to think everbody unreservedly worships their players :rolleyes:

The OP was for a player loved and respected by all fans. An unlikely situation. The closest I can think of, Del Piero, can there be someone who can speak ill of him?

Shay Given?

Fiorentina fans HATE del piero, was in florence years ago and my taxi driver was cursing him telling me (about 15 at the time) how he is famous for drugs and women :) funny times.

kryogen wrote: »
    how did it mean that to him? curious here!

I thought it was mad too when I heard it, and seemed a tad unlikely. He claimed the two eights represented to him four balls - that is, twice the balls of a normal man! I kid you not :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

PHIL NEVILLE!

Top pro.... Never complains, leads by example. Willing to take one for the team... Never in the papers for the wrong reasons. Good bloke.

Denis Wise?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Ian Rush

Ravanelli?

Di Matteo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Agreed. The Man U fans seem to think everbody unreservedly worships their players :rolleyes:

No. Just Ole. Because he is an incredible human being.

Hence Cristiano Ronaldo hasnt been mentioned in this thread. Ryan Giggs hasnt either because i wouldnt expect anyone else to like him.

I would suggest Dennis Bergkamp. While he played for Arsenal and scored against United i cannot begrudge his class and elegance. His skills had me in awe as a child. Zola would be in a similar mould.

But actually, there is definatley NO player that EVERYONE loves.

EDIT: Actually, its Jimmy Bullard.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

I would suggest Dennis Bergkamp. While he played for Arsenal and scored against United i cannot begrudge his class and elegance. His skills had me in awe as a child. Zola would be in a similar mould.

Don't get the Bergkamp votes. He was a sublime player, one of my favourites ever, but he could be a nasty (and sneaky) cnut in his day.

I wouldn't have thought Giggs would inspire much hatred amongst other fans. I can see why Neville, Ronaldo, etc, do, but why Giggs?

I would say Solskjaer is a good shout.

I have no issue with him and i have issue with most Utd players :)

always a likeable fella

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

No. Just Ole. Because he is an incredible human being.

Hence Cristiano Ronaldo hasnt been mentioned in this thread. Ryan Giggs hasnt either because i wouldnt expect anyone else to like him.

But actually, there is definatley NO player that EVERYONE loves.

as above, ole is nothing to most people. Giggs was actuall mentioned a few times above and I have no problem with him. People suggesting Gary Neville for example and thinking that everyone else loves him makes me really wonder what dream world people are in.

Bergkamp has been mentioned a few times, as I said on first page a lot of fans would consider him a sly, dirty, cowardly player along with being incredibly skillful..

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Torres????

I know i have an unhealthy love, but i have never seen Utd fans say a bad word about him, in fact they usually just soil him with their compliments.

Loved in Spain, adored at Athletico, a demi god on merseyside, respected by all......
    I'd imagine the hardcore Real fans despise him.

I'll always respect Paul Scholes purely for the fact that he doesn't have an agent.
    He's a cheat, I refer you to the Super Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Nobby Solano.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He's a cheat, I refer you to the Super Cup.

i wouldn't pick Scholes, obviously not liked by a lot of people but your logic is crazy. I seen Torres dive once so then he's out to i guess etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Xabi Alonso and Kolo Toure?

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd imagine the hardcore Real fans despise him.

I'd suspect so, but as i said earlier Atletico playing a league below for some of the years he was there might have made things not as bad.

In fairness, I think there is a touch of the Nick Hornby about the popularity of Bullard.

He's like everyone's favourite antidote to chav, billionaire footballers with cornrow haircuts.

So if Cashely or Ronaldo get on your tits, you think ah Bullard, throwback to another age. Actually called Jimmy. Eastender. Has a Charlie George mullet and loves fishing...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Messi IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Can't be arsed to read through the whole thread but in case he hasn't been mentioned...Alan Shearer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement