Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A player all fans love and respect?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

Nedved, model proffesional may be a wee bit passed it now though.

I love him for pro ev 4 and pro ev 08 :pac::pac::pac:

Raul? never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Paulo Di Canio, Legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Anybody agree with Zizou?
    I know he fvked up royally and his temper let him down more than once.
    But purely for his skill levels,ball control,awareness,positioning,and sheer all round brilliance,he still commands my respect.
    It still hurts to think that he tainted his name by overreacting in the WC final and messed up his legacy when he's a player that I really admired all down through his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Paulo Di Canio, Legend
    Is it for his racism that he is a legend or for assaulting a referee or is there something else that I forgot ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

PHB wrote: »
    You'd figure that wouldn't you, but whenever anyone in the game talks about him, they all seem to forgive him, its weird :) When commentators talk about Scholes, when any footballer talks about Scholes, if they are talking about his tackling, its pretty much a joke that after 20 years he still hasn't learn to tackle

+1 - He's not dirty, just can't tackle and even as a pool fan I have respect for scholes, a good pro
    Can't be arsed to read through the whole thread but in case he hasn't been mentioned...Alan Shearer.

Wouldn't be a fan of him at all. If I had name one player id say messi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Present day has to be Messi! Great to watch, full of tricks, always trying to beat players, scores spectular goals, NEVER DIVES, NEVER MAKES MORE OF A TACKLE THAN IT IS
    Closer to home I dont think I have ever heard a bad word said about Paul McGrath (sorry got those claret and blue thinted glasses on I guess)
    When Euesbio walks onto the field at Lansdowne Rd and asks for your jersey it certainly says something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bryan Robson
    Ossie Ardiles
    Steve Perryman
    Pat Jennings
    Ray Clemence
    Peter Shilton
    Alex Stepney
    Peter Cech
    Thierry Henry
    Colin Hendry
    Denis Irwin
    Stuart Pearce
    Steve Heighway
    Emlyn Hughes
    John Toshack
    Ian Rush
    Alan Hansen
    Sammy McIlroy
    Martin Buchan
    Mike Duxbury
    Viv Anderson
    John Wark
    Terry Butcher
    Arnold Muhren
    Cyrille Regis
    Garry McAllister
    John Salako

I'm fed up now. Enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

staker wrote: »
    Anybody agree with Zizou?
    I know he fvked up royally and his temper let him down more than once.

I think most will agree on Zizou total legend, but I don't think his temper takes away from this I think the materazzi headbutt defiantely adds to his status.
    Is it for his racism that he is a legend or for assaulting a referee or is there something else that I forgot ?

you forgot the wondergoal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Paulo Di Canio, Legend

:eek: What? Fascist-saluting thug? I dont think so.

Alessandro Del Piero
    Pavel Nedved
    Ronaldinho (not many Barca get a standing ovation at the Bernabeu)
    Franco Baresi
    Gianfranco Zola

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

i doubt rangers fans love and respect him.....
    The only bad thing Rangers fans would have to say about Larsson is that he was a Celtic player. Pretty good going after spending so long there.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Never liked him. He's a crap footballer who's made a career out of snapping at people's heels. A guaranteed booking in most games and useless on the ball.

yeah, he's ****e. Only has two CL medals, serie A titles and a world cup medal.

Not loved by Inter fans I'd imagine.

elshambo wrote: »
    88 is a well known fascist symbol/number in Italy

Love quoting myself:D

That was revealed to be absolute horlicks.

kryogen wrote: »
    how did it mean that to him? curious here!

i know in right wing circles t shirts with the 88 on them are a nod to hitler,

88 = HH

bit off topic i guess, i still dont think it will be possible to find a universally loved player, or respected........some group will have a reason to dislike every player

Should it not be 18 as in Combat 18, i.e. 1=A 8=H Adolf Hitler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Should it not be 18 as in Combat 18, i.e. 1=A 8=H Adolf Hitler?

88= Heil Hitler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

A football thread about what players we love and respect turns into a discussion about Hitler? Only on boards :D.

Players I love and respect
    1. Jimmy Bullard
    2. Zindine Zidane
    3. Stephen Ireland (Legend)
    4. Paolo Di Canio
    5. Roy Keane

Also shout out to JC as well (No not Jesus although he may as well be... Jamie Carragher.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    A football thread about what players we love and respect turns into a discussion about Hitler? Only on boards :rolleyes:

fixed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Good shout about Terry Henry. Absolute model pro, never in a referee's face and always plays the game with a smile on his face. Never gives out about a decision that goes against him, just gives a little wag of the finger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Never liked Henry, always hated him... Maybe its my hatred for Arsenal I don't know but I never liked him. He wasn't a model professional he was a sly fecker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    Bryan Robson
    You must be joking. I doubt may Boro, Sheffield United and Bradford fans hold him close to their hearts.

yeah, he's ****e. Only has two CL medals, serie A titles and a world cup medal.
    Average player in a good team tbh. He does a job but he's far from a good 'footballer'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Never liked Henry, always hated him... Maybe its my hatred for Arsenal I don't know but I never liked him. He wasn't a model professional he was a sly fecker.

funnily enough he wrecked my head too. in his latter years at Arsenal he always seemed far too critical of his team mates on the park, he was never happy with anything unless it resulted in him getting a goal. players like Cesc and Ade seemed afraid to play their natural game because of him. another one of those players who became to big for the club imo.

It becomes clear that not too many are aware of the other players on the list. Only two picked out.
    Xavi, about Bryan Robson, what would the fans of the clubs you mentioned have against him? Is is that he worked with them and did not succeed where others had failed before him. And he spent 7 years with Middlesboro iirc and won something with them. I don't ever remember them winning anything before or since in my lifetime.

I think you just felt you had to say something because he spent so many years with Manchester United but in fairness I have never heard anyone not even City or Leeds fans say a bad word about him.
    Another man came to mind as well, but for some weird reason it seems a lot of people have something against him so I did not include him on the list and thats former City Manager Kevin Keegan who I always thought was another great player and very popular as a player. He has had stints in Management that have not worked but I don't see why he is not respected by some people. He changed football when he first managed Newcastle, they were known as the entertainers in his day and he made attacking football popular in the English league again. The game had become very drab before his Newcastle team arrived on the scene.
    Just on the subject there is another one that just came to me now, and that is the present City Manager Mark Hughes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Good call on Sparky, Ill add Choccy McClair in aswell along with Gary Lineker and Franco Baresi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You must be joking. I doubt may Boro, Sheffield United and Bradford fans hold him close to their hearts.

Aye but as a player though
    "A player all fans love and respect?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Zola, I have not heard anyone ever say a bad word about him

( I may be biased because I am a Chelsea fan ) I met him once , he was truly a nice guy,

I had to laugh at
    Peter Beardsley. Fantastic player, always playing with a smile on his face,

There was nothing wrong with Peter as a footballer, it was the smile on his face bit, a face only a mother could love I think !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Roberto Baggio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Emlyn Hughes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Emlyn Hughes.

lol not even his team mates could stand him.

Met Aldo top bloke and he's 50 today had a lot of respect all round.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Xavi, about Bryan Robson, what would the fans of the clubs you mentioned have against him? Is is that he worked with them and did not succeed where others had failed before him. And he spent 7 years with Middlesboro iirc and won something with them. I don't ever remember them winning anything before or since in my lifetime.

I think you just felt you had to say something because he spent so many years with Manchester United but in fairness I have never heard anyone not even City or Leeds fans say a bad word about him.
    It's nothing to do with his United connections. He was before my time as player so I don't really care for him. Fair enough as a player he might be liked and that's the topic.
    Just on the subject there is another one that just came to me now, and that is the present City Manager Mark Hughes.
    There's a LOT of City fans who still can't accept him as manager. They support the team but not the manager. Plus he was a dirty bastard as a player, especially with his elbows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

From a league of ireland perspective, i think liam coyle was admired by most fans. For a big guy he had very quick feet and always did one piece of magic during a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Emlyn Hughes.

not sure about that. popular with fans alright, but meant to be not a very nice person supposedly. the vast majority of his team mates couldnt stand him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Paolo Maldini or Alessandro Nesta both deserve respect and are not hated by anyone but Inter fans.

Peter Beardsley get an honorable mention

Maldini
    Roberto Baggio (dino was a **** :p )
    Zola
    Romario
    Figo
    David James (as much as a mess of a person he is, he's a lovely guy haha)
    Peter Beardsley

Can't be arsed to read through the whole thread but in case he hasn't been mentioned...Alan Shearer.

Yea he's the darling of Man United fans!!

John Terry
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Gary Neville
    Steven Gerrard
    Jamie Carragher
    Emmanuel Eboue
    Ashley Cole!!

Id say Jimmy Bullard, Allesandro Del Piero, Solksjaer, Maldini

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Paolo Maldini or Alessandro Nesta both deserve respect and are not hated by anyone but Inter fans.

Peter Beardsley get an honorable mention

I'm not an Inter fan but I loathe Nesta. It's not something that I can explain.
    Nedved would be a good call but he's a woejus diver.
    Pele is a cock, to be honest, I doubt I'm alone in thinking that.
    Zidane has a long history of stamping, head-butting and generally the kind of thing Bergkamp has been vilified for, from way before WC2006.
    Koeman is a laughable suggestion. Ask the fans of any teams he's 'managed'.

Roberto Baggio is the closest I can come to finding one. I would say Batistuta, but I'm sure there are a load of Brazilians who hate him (and Fiorentina fans who hate Baggio)...

I think its between Solskjear and Torres tbh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think its between Solskjear and Torres tbh :)

and Kevin Hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

david seaman was a really top bloke when i met him, as was gary mcallister who bought me a couple of pints in portugal.

two top players in their day also.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Melion wrote: »
    Good shout about Terry Henry. Absolute model pro, never in a referee's face and always plays the game with a smile on his face. Never gives out about a decision that goes against him, just gives a little wag of the finger.
    A smile? He hardly ever smiled (at least later on in his career). The 'Henry pout'.

As for Messi never diving... get out of town.

There is never going to be a player who is loved or respected by all. People are far too parochial and tribal for that. The best you'll get is loved and respected by most. In that regard, there are a lot of good mentions here.

For example, rival players I have a lot of time for would be Giggs (his hands-on-hips moan posture is forgiven) Scholes, Drogba, Alonso, Torres (he's won me over with his flowing golden locks and boyish charm), Dunne, Hutton and so on.

• Advertisement

For example, rival players I have a lot of time for would be Drogba

!?!?!? seriously??!?!?!? :eek::confused:
    Torres (he's won me over with his flowing golden locks and boyish charm)

back the **** away! :mad:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    !?!?!? seriously??!?!?!? :eek::confused:
    Yeah. Obviously the diving and general antics are annoying but he comes from a different culture with regards to that and I don't see it as a stain on his character. I've read quite a few articles about the guy and he seems like a really decent person; he is a massive hero in the Ivory Coast and does a lot of good there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I would have thought drogba to be very unpopular with fans in general. Even yer one who is a chelsea fan triza something that writes in the Examiner on wednesday doesnt have great time for him. Then again she is a complete tool! If you read her columns you will agree.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sections-qqqm=arena-qqqa=sport-qqqid=71329-qqqx=1.asp

I dunno. His diving typically makes me laugh more than anything these days. Remember his incident with Lehmann a few seasons back? Comedy gold.

Terrific player too.

SHE writes a football section?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

• Advertisement

A smile? He hardly ever smiled (at least later on in his career). The 'Henry pout'.

As for Messi never diving... get out of town.

There is never going to be a player who is loved or respected by all. People are far too parochial and tribal for that. The best you'll get is loved and respected by most. In that regard, there are a lot of good mentions here.

For example, rival players I have a lot of time for would be Giggs (his hands-on-hips moan posture is forgiven) Scholes, Drogba, Alonso, Torres (he's won me over with his flowing golden locks and boyish charm), Dunne, Hutton and so on.
    What about the list I put up? There are a lot of players on there who would be respected by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Alessandro Del Piero
    Gianluigi Buffon
    Gaetano Scirea
    Antonio Cabrini
    Marco Tardelli
    Michel Platini
    Roberto Baggio
    Toto' Schillaci

I could go on forever....just pick any random Juve player ;)

Advertisement