Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Need a new router

• 13-09-2008 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice on a new router.I currently have a Netgear wrg614 (I think thats what it is) and am looking for something to increase the wireless range. Would an "N" router be better, I've read that it's still an unstable platform? I'm not really brand loyal, but dont want to spend a fortune either, anybody got a reccomendation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I've had 2 of these: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=306149 in college and since I moved up to Dublin. I left the other one back in Limerick and it's still happily working away after ~3 years of constant use and abuse.

I have the DD-WRT firmware on both of them which has a setting that allows you to increase the power output for the wireless signal. I've also heard good things about OpenWRT with a GUI called X-WRT (I think that's the name of the GUI, can't remember off the top of my head though).

If you do go down the route of buying on of these and changing the firmware just make sure you read the documentation thoroughly as you can end up knackering your router if you do it incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

rmacm wrote: »
    I've had 2 of these: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=306149 in college and since I moved up to Dublin. I left the other one back in Limerick and it's still happily working away after ~3 years of constant use and abuse.

I have the DD-WRT firmware on both of them which has a setting that allows you to increase the power output for the wireless signal. I've also heard good things about OpenWRT with a GUI called X-WRT (I think that's the name of the GUI, can't remember off the top of my head though).

If you do go down the route of buying on of these and changing the firmware just make sure you read the documentation thoroughly as you can end up knackering your router if you do it incorrectly.

Thanks for the recomendation.I dont really want to mess about with the firware, I am really looking for a plug and play router, but one that has the best wireless range and has at least 4 ethernet ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Niallthebomb

Hi there,
    I recently purchased a D-Link DIR-615 home wireless range extender router. You can see it at

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=340639

It doesn't work for my scenario which has nothing to do with range extension but it would help you (I think). It's only a couple of days old, Komplett won't take it back because the packaging has been opened. If you are interested, drop me a mail and maybe we can sort something out?

Regards,
    Niall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

kingaaa wrote: »
    Thanks for the recomendation.I dont really want to mess about with the firware, I am really looking for a plug and play router, but one that has the best wireless range and has at least 4 ethernet ports.
    The change the firmware to DD-WRT is as simple as downloading the firmware file from the internet and opening the router page, picking the file and pressing start. You can up the wireless signal power by 4 and if you want you can get another router and extend the wireless signal further.

A wireless n standard router has a longer range (x2+). I can't recommend any specific router though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

thanks lads, I just bought a d-link dir655 off pixmania,it should be interesting to see how this N router performs with 2 wireless G laptops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement