Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could someone check my bits?

Options
  • 13-09-2008 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I'm hopefully going to build a PC, and was wondering if someone can take a look at these components, and point out:

1. Should I change any of them?
    2. Will I need anything else? (have I forgotten to get anything)
    3. Can I get all this (or changes) from another supplier for cheaper?

I really appreciate your help. :)

18bc533d44e8752c65030acc9f85a894.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I thought this was a PI thread from reading the title....

Dont skimp on the psu, its one of the most critical components in a build. Same with the case, you need good air flow.

Check out www.hardwareversand.de the prices are alot cheaper there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

benifa wrote: »
    Hi lads, I'm hopefully going to build a PC, and was wondering if someone can take a look at these components, and point out:

1. Should I change any of them?
    2. Will I need anything else? (have I forgotten to get anything)
    3. Can I get all this (or changes) from another supplier for cheaper?

I really appreciate your help. :)

To echo Manties, a stronger PSU would be good. Why the 8600 though? It'll be weak for most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ubaroo

Get a better GPU if your gona use it for gaming, could also do with a better case for airflow and a better psu wouldnt do much harm either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Thanks lads. Will check out http://www.hardwareversand.de/ and look into getting a better PSU / case. That said, what's the best thing to look out for in a case and PSU?

I went for the 8600 because looked cheap for a 512mb graphics card. I don't play games. Will use the PC for video editing / DVD and Blu-ray watching. Will the 8600 be good enough for me, or should I change for something else?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks lads. Will check out http://www.hardwareversand.de/ and look into getting a better PSU / case. That said, what's the best thing to look out for in a case and PSU?

I went for the 8600 because looked cheap for a 512mb graphics card. I don't play games. Will use the PC for video editing / DVD and Blu-ray watching. Will the 8600 be good enough for me, or should I change for something else?

Look for a decent brandname to ensure quality parts and reliability in a PSU. If you're not gaming then an 8600 will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ROFL @ thread title

Thanks lads for your advice on this..

Ok, with everything in mind, including http://www.hardwareversand.de/, would this be a better setup?..

9be2021c168ae30521c1d894f1c5e92f.jpg

Any changes you'd make to this?

PS: the alternative to the self build, is this Medion that I'm considering from Tesco UK:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-9446.aspx

What do you think? Price is basically the same as those components from http://www.hardwareversand.de/

Self-build or Medion?

PS: the alternative to the self build, is this Medion that I'm considering from Tesco UK:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-9446.aspx

What do you think? Price is basically the same as those components from http://www.hardwareversand.de/

Self-build or Medion?

That video card in the Medion is very weak. Plus it has less RAM, 3GB, which is usually a sign that they're only providing a 32bit version of Vista which limits your memory expansion options.

Looks good but change the cooler for something better like this, quads give off alot of heat. Would allow you to overclock that quad in the future if needed.

Also, this Samsung Sata hd is bigger and faster (one of the fastest available ATM, note the 32mb cache) for an even cheaper price.

Edit: there's nothing stealth about the OCZ StealthXtream Psu, noisy as fúck

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    That video card in the Medion is very weak. Plus it has less RAM, 3GB, which is usually a sign that they're only providing a 32bit version of Vista which limits your memory expansion options.

Plus no mention of warranty, i presume its a 1 yr, self build would have a much longer warranty on each part, cpu....3 yrs, psu....3 yrs, hd....5 yrs, ram...lifetime, see what i mean.

Ok lads, I've re-done the PC configurator on hardwareversand.de, and this is what I've come up with:

a64b8dfdbaec56380cf17cc0deaf3f42.jpg

I've gone for the Samsung 750gb that you suggested, Pog. However, the cooler you suggested is for AMD CPUs only, so I've picked an alternative. This is the one. Is it a good choice (I'm also thinking overclocking)? I also changed the PSU to this. What d'ya reckon?

All in, this is coming out at €647.06 before delivery. I might pay the €19.99 for them to build it for me too (has been a while since I built a PC, and for 20 quid I won't have to worry about frying anything). So, call it €700 inc build and delivery to Ireland.

Do you still think this self build is better than the Tesco Medion @ £499 (~€630)? Is it worth the extra €70?

Note that I've not including an O/S with the self build, and the Tesco Medion comes with Vista Home Premium. This is because already own a licence key for Vista Ultimate 32bit (is currently on the laptop I'm using now, but laptop is old an just about dead and will be scrapped). As a side question, could I install Vista Ultimate 64bit on the self-build, using my 32bit product key? Or would my product key only be valid for 32bit Vistas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I've gone for the Samsung 750gb that you suggested, Pog. However, the cooler you suggested is for AMD CPUs only, so I've picked an alternative. This is the one. Is it a good choice (I'm also thinking overclocking)?

I dunno why HWV have listed it under AMD only, but the cooler Pog pointed out will work on Intel as well. See where it says "AM2,775". That means it comes with fittings for AMD Socket AM2 and also with fittings for Intel Socket 775 processors. (Further down the page it also says "Kompatibel mit Socket 775, Socket AM2")
    I think most would consider theThermalright to be the better cooler but remember you will have to buy a fan separately for it, which adds a bit more expense.

Re: Vista. I think from a Microsoft point of view, if the the license of your laptop is OEM, then the license agreement supposedly dies with the laptop, and the license is therefore not transferrable to another machine. (This usually means a license that "came with the computer", and the machine has a Cert Of Authenticity sticker somewhere on the case.)
    If on the other hand you bought a retail (boxed) version of Vista, then you are I believe entitled to transfer the license, provided it is only in use on one computer. Therefore you'd have to eliminate/format the installation on the laptop. Since you said the laptop is old, I'm thinking that maybe you have a retail key?
    I think that if you have a retail 32bit Vista license, Microsoft allows you to buy more cheaply the 64 bit equivalent, but I don't believe the keys are interchangeable between 32 bit and 64 bit OS.

If you have a key for vista premium for example, it will work for both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Please note, the Thermalright Ultra is just a cooler, its not got a fan, You need to add one, the mounting brackets are provided

Manties wrote: »
    If you have a key for vista premium for example, it will work for both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Sounds like good news. Haven't really experimented with different versions myself other than the 64 bit OEM Vista Ult. on my main computer.
    Can you do this (change from 32 bit to 64 bit) with an OEM key without breaking the EULA?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I didn't know that, that's pretty sweet. Thanks (clicking a button is a lot easier than typing it :().

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

I thought this was a PI thread from reading the title....

haha, i thought it was supposed to be a pun. check my bits....like bytes....only bits.... (i think i just crossed some kind of nerd line there....oooh)

Thanks for all your help lads.

Ok, I've done loads of research on the net, checking out cases that allow lots of airflow while still being reasonably priced. A good PSU, and better graphics card. Also and good cooler (the one I've now chosen has got some great reviews online).

Anyway, I've now come up with this:

b3815dc0109fd1b7dfeb601c1c151467.jpg

Regarding my Vista product key, it's a retail product key that I have. Bought it to go on my current lappy, which is three years old but everything's slowly dying on it (battery, hard drive, trackpad).. So it's great to know that I can install Vista 64bit on my new self-build using my existing product key (once lappy is scrapped).

You might have to ring the activation line but i doubt it as Microsoft dont enforce it anymore. My retail copy of vista is on about 4/5 machines at this point ;)

• Advertisement

You might have to ring the activation line but i doubt it as Microsoft dont enforce it anymore.

Really? Why's that do you know?

I know but i cant say because of my NDA (I work for MS)

I'd say MS wouldn't mind too much anyway about the 4/5, since they're all using Vista and thereby increasing the uptake of the operating system. :) Personally, I quite like the 64 bit version of the OS, it has been very hassle free for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

duridian wrote: »
    I'd say MS wouldn't mind too much anyway about the 4/5, since they're all using Vista and thereby increasing the uptake of the operating system. :) Personally, I quite like the 64 bit version of the OS, it has been very hassle free for me anyway.

i think M$ has realised...."lads, i think we have too much monies.....", I dont think they know what to do with it anymore....gates has even pledged like 40 billion to charity of all things....

Advertisement