Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accomdation in Delhi

• 13-09-2008 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

TRavelling to Delhi in about 5 weeks, and am looking to book somewhere nice enough for the first two nights, before we get into the thick of it. Has anyone any suggestions of places they've stayed? Anywhere up to about 20euro a night(or is that enough to get somewhere decent).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

Nobody been to Delhi then?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Ritchi wrote: »
    Nobody been to Delhi then?

I've been but I've no idea what the name of the part of town was.
    The Lonely Planet was usually spot on in India, I went where they said and I was very happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Can't really help you with a hotel recommendation because you're budget is a lot higher than mine was but I should tell you that we found the Lonely PLanet to be desperately out of date (last published in 2006) with hotel prices, particularly in the major cities. Also, Delhi is the worst place I have ever been. The best advice I could give would be to have your way out planned in advance.

Can't really help you with a hotel recommendation because you're budget is a lot higher than mine was but I should tell you that we found the Lonely PLanet to be desperately out of date (last published in 2006) with hotel prices, particularly in the major cities. Also, Delhi is the worst place I have ever been. The best advice I could give would be to have your way out planned in advance.

Where did you stay? All I want is somewhere clean for the first few days so we can settle in and aclimatise. If you have anywhere nice it'd be a help, and yeah we plan on only staying a couple of days in total there. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Ritchi wrote: »
    Where did you stay? All I want is somewhere clean for the first few days so we can settle in and aclimatise. If you have anywhere nice it'd be a help, and yeah we plan on only staying a couple of days in total there. Thanks.

We stayed in a place called Hotel Rak. It's on Main Bazaar (the main tourist area) and it's in the Lonely Planet. 700INR for a double room with AC, despite haggling for about 10 minutes. Decent but by no means spectacular. Get whichever hotel you book with to pick you up from the airport. Otherwise you'll have to deal with some muppet trying to drag you elsewhere.

• Advertisement

We stayed in a place called Hotel Rak. It's on Main Bazaar (the main tourist area) and it's in the Lonely Planet. 700INR for a double room with AC, despite haggling for about 10 minutes. Decent but by no means spectacular. Get whichever hotel you book with to pick you up from the airport. Otherwise you'll have to deal with some muppet trying to drag you elsewhere.

Cool, cheers for the advice I'll check out your place later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

i was in delhi 2 weeks ago... serious culture shock, i've been all over se asia... and i've never seen trafic, filth, noise and general chaos like it....

we stayed in a place called "youth hostel" was probably the cheapest in town...

it's in the lonely planet.

in the embassy district... so was a nice enough area... the hostel itself wasn't the best, but hey, it's delhi... and was half the price of hotels in the tourist area...

it was 250r a night... i had to pay an extra 50 because i didn't have a hostel card.

careful with the taxi drivers at the airport... buy a prepaid taxi voucher, there's a few stands.... as you're walking out of the airport... don't go near em... only use the 1 official government one... when you walk out the main doors it's on the right...looks a bit run down but it's the official one... don't give the taxi driver the slip til he gets you to where you're going... our 20 min journey took over an hour... if you're staying somewhere a bit more upmarket you can prob get an airport pick up....

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13 singledad

I am from delhi living in dublin for 7 years. yes it is filth,polluted etc etc
    same as dublin innercity scums, ballymun, finglas, coolock, limerick..
    so dont just blam delhi for its bad side, it has good side as well..
    u have to be indian to understand this.

anyway ritchi
    ur accommodation.
    get a prepaid taxi to karol bagh or phar ghanj which is like our gardineer st. full of hotels and hostels.

ask for price before buying/any commercial activity.

lot's of bargain.. ask for price.. dont worry about anything just cut the price to its quater. which is the right price..

any thing u want to ask
    ring me 0863648326

gulshan

enjoy ur time in india.. different, culture shock lot more

Advertisement