Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elysian tower

Options
  • 13-09-2008 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭

Well worth arranging a tour to see the place, they are taking people in groups every hour or so. The prices they are asking are astronomical (eg 2-bed flat for €655K plus €4k/year service charge :eek:) so I suspect they will be trying to flog them for a long time to come!

http://www.theelysian.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

i love the flooring and thats about it!
    cant wait to move out of the city tbh. :D:D
    oh and look, i can see my college from the apartment view. how wonderful..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The Penthouse is bigger than my house!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Just had a quick look there on the website. All the apartments seem huge for today (hence the price). I think if this had completed 2 years ago, they would have all been snapped up. Now, given the market, if you have that kind of money, you will more likely be buying yourself a nice 4 bed in a nice suburb.

It's a shame, because I do think they are nice, but it's a bit overindulgent for today's market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The development looks great, but it's far too expensive for Joe Soap. Having said that though, I would love to rent one of the apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

opus wrote: »
    Well worth arranging a tour to see the place, they are taking people in groups every hour or so. The prices they are asking are astronomical (eg 2-bed flat for €655K plus €4k/year service charge :eek:) so I suspect they will be trying to flog them for a long time to come!

http://www.theelysian.ie/

Did they bring up to the top to see the view. I'd love that. Did u ring them up for the tour or just turn up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd love to see some of the apartments that the decorators haven't gotten to. Would be interesting to see if the rumours about the quality of the work holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I reckon these apartments will be empty for a long time to come if the prices are accurate. O'flynns must be up to their necks in debt on this one - it won't be pretty if they can't get buyers. Perhaps they will be rented out in the short term.
    I don't think many will buy the noughties version of the blackpool flats!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭opus

suppafly wrote: »
    Did they bring up to the top to see the view. I'd love that. Did u ring them up for the tour or just turn up?

Didn't get to the very top unfortunately. Guess only serious punters get there! I registered on the site a while back & got an invite in the post.
    I'd love to see some of the apartments that the decorators haven't gotten to. Would be interesting to see if the rumours about the quality of the work holds up.

Yeah I heard that as well, something to do with contracts being sub-contracted several times over.
    thejuggler wrote: »
    I reckon these apartments will be empty for a long time to come if the prices are accurate. O'flynns must be up to their necks in debt on this one - it won't be pretty if they can't get buyers. Perhaps they will be rented out in the short term.
    I don't think many will buy the noughties version of the blackpool flats!

The prices are accurate as they gave out a price list with the very glossy brochure, range is from €375k for the cheapest 1-bed flat to a cool two million for the one on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Coffea

The exterior still looks unfinished. The name of the building is embarrassingly pretentious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Anyone else see the giant spike on top? It glows blue like a lightsaber some times, the best feature of the building I think. Destroyed my view over the city :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Does it still have the graffiti "Skyscrapers are gay" on the exterior?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

taram wrote: »
    Anyone else see the giant spike on top? It glows blue like a lightsaber some times, the best feature of the building I think. Destroyed my view over the city :(

I have been looking to take a photo of this but everytime i see it there is no blue light.
    I must be too late in the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

jank wrote: »
    I have been looking to take a photo of this but everytime i see it there is no blue light.
    I must be too late in the night!
    The only help I can give is that it's only lit when the rest of the building is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

They probably have to turn off the lights to save on money. They must be loosing a fortune on the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I went to see this recently. Very nice fit out to be honest - they got an interior design company from London to fit it out and no expense was spared.

The 2million penthouse at the top has a kitchen designed by Porshe (which didn't blow me away) There are lots of different types and sizes of apartments. Some go right through the building so that you have views of both Eglinton Street and the central garden. The view from the top is spectacular and worth the visit - don't bring your camera though - photography is banned. (Can a view of the city be copyright?)

However as other posters have mentioned the price tag is completely out of sync with reality and both current and projected future levels for house prices.

Also if a resident has the cheek to own more than one car they will charge a cool 50k for an additional car parking space

Expect to see lots of these for rent next year because they won't all be bought. Mind you the Estate Agent says the 2 million euro penthouse at the top is sold - the rumour is that Gerard Keane got his chequebook out.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The louvred walls on the ground floor don't really add a whole lot and some of the external work is dodgy especially around the leading vertical edge of the tower.

I am not an architect/builder and I saw this from the No.2 so maybe I'm wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

I work in the building right next to it. Might go in some day during lunch.
    If I was to get a place there I would be able to leave for work at at 8.59am to be in for 9 lol.
    I did hear that someone with a last name of keane has bought the top. It's a good marketing ploy.
    It would probably be cheaper to live in the Clarion for a good few years then get one of these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

I don't know maybe it's just my sensitive nose but I regularly smell that horrible kinda sweet stench coming from one of the factories (?) on the riverside. I pass the building every morning Mo-Fri, and about 2 out 5 days I can sense the thing. wouldn't wanna wake up to it say on a lazy Sunday morning!! :eek: and the traffic is really bad all around the building
    admittedly, the appartments look damn nice on the pics!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

thejuggler wrote: »
    Mind you the Estate Agent says the 2 million euro penthouse at the top is sold - the rumour is that Gerard Keane got his chequebook out.
    Energizeer wrote: »
    I did hear that someone with a last name of keane has bought the top. It's a good marketing ploy.

Have heard the same, I think there was a piece in some newspaper recently about Lisa Murphy (his partner) having been interested in getting the penthouse.

Have only seen pictures of the inside of the place, but looks quite nice, very much out of price range though lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

scaryfairy wrote: »
    the traffic is really bad all around the building
    admittedly, the appartments look damn nice on the pics!

Yeah, The traffic is a balls. I'd say on average 4 to 5 ambulances or fire engines go by a day. If I'm on a call, even with the windows closed I have to wait till they go by

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

4 or five a day?
    Try 5 fire engines at a time about 10 times a day.
    Trust me.
    I work across the road and live not too far away and the fire brigade pass a LOT.
    I know they have to, but living that close to them could be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AssGard

Isn't it a pity that the developers O'Flynns wouldn't have made an effort to make this one the out and out tallest in the country for a long time? It would have been great if they went for it and 'pushed the boat out'

It is after all only 81 metres high and over one hundred years ago (1902) the FlatIron building in NYC was 86 metres. So it's not as if it hasn't been done before !!!

Having said that, really like the design, it's cool.

I vote for lots more high rise architecture in Cork, we're such a flat city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I doubt they'd get planning permission for anything that large.
    Also I read somewhere that there's a massive increase in cost once you go over around 30 stories in height - i.e. it's a non linear cost by height.

I do love the idea of living on about the 25th floor of a tower - just not at the prices they're charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Does it still have the graffiti "Skyscrapers are gay" on the exterior?
    Skyscraper my asshole. The building is probably not even in the top 10,000 of tallest buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 starchaser

maybe so but it's the tallest building in this country. anyway, it was just some asshole that sprayed graffiti who tagged it as a skyscraper. probably some loser with no friends who spends most of his time posting thousands of pointless posts to message boards from some dark room somewhere ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Where is it?

Advertisement