Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elysian tower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Where the old An Post sorting office used to be, behind the Anglesea Street Garda Station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

dotsman wrote: »
    It's a shame, because I do think they are nice, but it's a bit overindulgent for today's market.

655k for an apartment in a city on a scale as ridiculously small as Cork?!?

In this current economic "crisis": Nobody can afford 655k for an apartment unless they are buying it to add to their collection.

The cost of the mortgage and the service charge alone is more than most (80-90%) of people could afford on a 50k a year salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

I imagine it was designed a while ago, with a different economy in mind, when Cork was growing? It is a shame though, such a huge, high profile construction, and I can see most of the units are going to be empty for a long time to come.

Even rental prices on them are going to be astronomical, for the same type of accommodation you can get at other, cheaper locations around the city.

I do wonder which shops are going to be moving into the building though, since I live in the shadow of it, they may come in handy for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Thats odd, I heard the radio interview with the developer/interviewee on the day it was opened, and he assured the interviewer that the prices had been revised for a more realistic economic climate.

I wonder which economic climate he had in mind? Moscow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭opus

104494431 wrote: »
    655k for an apartment in a city on a scale as ridiculously small as Cork?!?

In this current economic "crisis": Nobody can afford 655k for an apartment unless they are buying it to add to their collection.

The cost of the mortgage and the service charge alone is more than most (80-90%) of people could afford on a 50k a year salary.

Stories like this being published won't help them flog them!

Report predicts ongoing fall in house prices next year

20% fall on that flat = €131K
    46% fall on that flat = €301K :eek:

Is there anyone in Cork who could afford to not worry about that amount of cash going down the drain?

• Advertisement

Spotted the Elysian flats have appeared on Daft to rent:

1-bed
    3-bed

Guess nobody is willing to stump up the cash to buy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

opus wrote: »
    ...Elysian flats ..

ouch, don't let the poor existing owners of any units hear you refer to them as that:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

They look very nice, but are still a wee bit pricey

Something to think about though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Elysian flats

has a certain ring to it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

for 4k a year you could probably rent a whole building the same size in some former soviet state

• Advertisement

I read on another site that ~40 bookings were taken but 20 fell through because the banks wouldn't give a mortgage for the place which says a lot I think (assuming it's true).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

1-bed
    3-bed

The rent for the 3 bed one is not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

I see they are renting out the car park at something over two euro an hour. measures to boost income in absence of sales ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

They have only sold 3 apartments, are planning to rent out at least 40 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

i think they have got stung with this building now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

i'm seriously considering renting one for college next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Vinta81 wrote: »
    i'm seriously considering renting one for college next year!

With the service charges in mind, make a ridiculously low offer and you never know.

It would probably only for a year, I just want the experience of living away from home for a year at least. I'm looking for places, and the apartments there are gorgeous! And, not so far from I live now.

It would probably only for a year, I just want the experience of living away from home for a year at least. I'm looking for places, and the apartments there are gorgeous! And, not so far from I live now.

Tempted myself because my office is right next door to the Elysian, would be a 30 second walk to work :) And you get the entire facility almost all to yourself - just you, the security/maintenance guys, the cleaners, and that developer's daughter who is living in the tower. I'd say you could have a great "La Haine" style block party there.

I wonder if Elysian dwellers (if such people do indeed come to exist) will be stigmatised in Cork following the ridiculously pretentious image that has been pushed since the hoardings went up a few years ago. My assessment from day 1 was that Cork people would be uncomfortable with the teaser campaigns about the yuppie dinner parties and the faceless professionals with purple sweaters/beige trousers/glasses of wine. Even now they're pushing the yuppie chic thing too far with the posters of Audrey Hepburn (or whoever it is), and the straight-back black leather chairs (that seem to be a fixture in all the modern apartments from the past few years).

Maybe I just don't know the average Cork 30-something professional well enough, but I have heard plenty of complaints on these forums about silly VIP areas, forced queues at Soho, OTT dress codes, etc. Back-fired attempts at the kind of exclusivity that might go down well with the D4 types up the country but was never received well in Cork. Wasn't there a comedian who based his entire act on the fact that Cork people are so hard to impress, particularly when it comes to airs and graces? I'm sure the culture has softened since the dawn of the Sex and the City era, but now that we're back in the mid 80's, I see more and more people opting for the ham and cheese sandwich instead of the feta panini.

Give it another year and a few more desperate price drops and we could see The Elysian fill up with students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Illkillya wrote: »
    I wonder if Elysian dwellers (if such people do indeed come to exist) will be stigmatised in Cork following the ridiculously pretentious image that has been pushed since the hoardings went up a few years ago. My assessment from day 1 was that Cork people would be uncomfortable with the teaser campaigns about the yuppie dinner parties and the faceless professionals with purple sweaters/beige trousers/glasses of wine. Even now they're pushing the yuppie chic thing too far with the posters of Audrey Hepburn (or whoever it is), and the straight-back black leather chairs (that seem to be a fixture in all the modern apartments from the past few years).

lolz :)

they should have an exclusive Elysian Facebook group and an iPhone application to control the heating / appliances /doors in the flats if thats the crowd they're trying to sell to.

• Advertisement

Illkillya wrote: »

Maybe I just don't know the average Cork 30-something professional well enough, but I have heard plenty of complaints on these forums about silly VIP areas, forced queues at Soho, OTT dress codes, etc

My kinda scene lol. Although , I'm only 20 - I've always liked the finer things in life, like my mother always says, "I was born with expensive taste" lol. My dd is the polar oppsite to me, English comfort food/lifesyle.

My kinda scene lol. Although , I'm only 20 - I've always liked the finer things in life, like my mother always says, "I was born with expensive taste" lol. My dd is the polar oppsite to me, English comfort food/lifesyle.

Rightly so :) Fact is you can get a luxury apartment now for a similar price to a dingy one, so there's no need to suffer low standard accommodation anymore.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

[QUOTE=Illkillya;59331438.

Maybe I just don't know the average Cork 30-something professional well enough, but I have heard plenty of complaints on these forums about silly VIP areas, forced queues at Soho, OTT dress codes, etc. Back-fired attempts at the kind of exclusivity that might go down well with the D4 types up the country but was never received well in Cork. Wasn't there a comedian who based his entire act on the fact that Cork people are so hard to impress, particularly when it comes to airs and graces? .[/QUOTE]

Buy them a couple of Gin & TonTons and they're easy enough to impress. Look at the joy over Niall Prendergasts VIP area at the Boredwalk. Cork doesn't have any fewer SUVs, big houses, flash cars than anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

i've been up there, nice place to have a gat in the sun :pac: a no no going up there at night tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

I heard that you can get onto the roof garden on Saturdays,kinda a tour thing. Anyone know if there's any truth in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

http://www.theelysian.ie/

Garden looks pretty artificial

1-bed
    3-bed

Guess nobody is willing to stump up the cash to buy :rolleyes:

They've dropped the price on daft.ie already to €1000. I knew they'd need to lower the price significantly, but didn't expect to see it so soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Just looked at the pictures from daft. I would gladly swap my shabby 2nd hand house for one of those. I would love to live there:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Heh, the 1 bed dropped by €200 in just 9 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Ouch! They must be desperate...

Advertisement