Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Connection problems

Options
  • 13-09-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hopefully some here can help me.

I have a Belkin wireless adaptor. The connection usually work's. Sometimes when I start up the PC it doesn't find the connection, so I just shut it down and when I restart it's working fine.

Today however I cant get it to work. I've uninstalled the software that came with it and installed it again. ("Belkin Wireless USB utility"). There seemed to be no problem with doing either. However the connection still wont work.

During the installation I was told "now connect your wireless adaptor". The adaptor is connected to a USB hub, which works are far as I can tell.

The computer self help diagnostic tells me it cannot detect a signal for the internet. We also have a laptop which connects without any problems so the problem is with the PC.

The wireless utility tells me that it cannot detect the USB adaptor.
    I took the adaptor itself out of its dock and put it directly into the USB hub, and then directly into the USB port in the PC but neither worked.

Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong. I'm not much of a computer expert myself, but I can follow most instructions that anybody might give.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

this is better suited in wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

What shows up in the device manager?

I would connect it the back of the PC. Then go in to the device manager. Look for any bangs (yellow circles) or unknow devices and right click - Update device driver and point it to the CD with the drivers!

Also worth going to the belkin site to download the latest package!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McKennsy

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'll let you now hoe it goes.

I tried looking at the device manager, and there were some "bangs" there. I tried to update the drivers but the system tells me it has to connect to the net to update them. My original problem is that I cant connect to the net :(

I uninstalled the Belkin software again and tried to install it again ( after doing the above bit ). When it installs it tell's me to Connect me WLAN adaptor. I was assuming that this was the actual "Ariel" bit that came with the software.

I has it's own "docking thing" which I have connected to the USB hub. I took this out and connected it again.When I click on the Wireless Utility logo I am told the USB Adaptor cannot be detected, still!!

Any other options?. Thanks for the previous advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Is there anyway you can connect the computer to the internet via a cable rather than wirelessly??

If you were supplied with a modem or router by your internet service provider they should have supplied you with an ethernet cable also. Connect your computer to the modem or router with that and retry voodoo2's advice.

• Advertisement

The Router came with a cable, but for some strange reason there was no matching port on the computer for it to plug into. The PC is a Dell, and it's only about 3 or 4 years old, so I don't know why there was no port.

That was why I went wireless.

I might still have dial up, so I could try that.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

McKennsy wrote: »
    The Router came with a cable, but for some strange reason there was no matching port on the computer for it to plug into. The PC is a Dell, and it's only about 3 or 4 years old, so I don't know why there was no port.

That was why I went wireless.

I might still have dial up, so I could try that.

Thanks.

Its easy enough to add an ethernet card should cost a max of 15 euro or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

+1 on the ethernet card. What the service tag of the dell, seems strange to not have an onboard RJ45 on a machine of that vintage.

TBH you'd be better bining the Belkin, they are a renowed POS and picking up a dLink, Linksys or Netgear adaptor (as well as adding an ethernet card) to the machine, if the machine is close to the modem then don't bother with the WiFi and just get a network card.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

+2, Post an add in adverts.ie in the wanted computer hardware section, you might get one for the cost of postage.

I just wanted to say that I bought a new Belkin adaptor and everything seems to be working now. (I porbably wouldn't have got one if I had read some of the previous posts!).From what I could make out there must have been some damage to the actual adaptor as the PC just would not detect it.

Thanks very much to those who offered their help. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement