Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to L'Alp d'Huez?

Options
  • 13-09-2008 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I'm hoping to go to watch a stage or two of next years Tour De France and if there is a finish at L’Alp d’Huez i'd like to see it. Has anyone here gone on such a trip? I'm looking to see what my options are, flying and bringing a bike or driving over. I dont think theres any point in going that far without a bike, you'd have to be able to say you climbed it... Any suggestions would be great, thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

mattym wrote: »
    I'm hoping to go to watch a stage or two of next years Tour De France and if there is a finish at L’Alp d’Huez i'd like to see it. Has anyone here gone on such a trip? I'm looking to see what my options are, flying and bringing a bike or driving over. I dont think theres any point in going that far without a bike, you'd have to be able to say you climbed it... Any suggestions would be great, thanks...

You can fly with Ryanair to Grenoble, about an hour's drive away from the Alpe... going there myself on that route in October, and can report back afterwards :)

Note that D'Huez isn't always on the route of the Tour, so you won't know for sure until the '09 route's announced (around October I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

good stuff, let me know how your trip goes. I presume ud be able to bring a bike on a plane? Knowing Ryanair it would probably be cheaper to buy one over there!!!!!! Fingers crossed the tour is going over L’Alp d’Huez

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

My cuz went over this year for the tour and really loved it. It was his second time over. I can't remember if he went the organized route. I know the first year, he did. He mentioned this year that he only got accomdation by the skin of his teeth, so it sounds like he winged it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurricane147

A couple of us did it three years ago. Neither of us were particularly fit or had done much cycling. It was much tougher than we expected. The first couple of miles is very hard, but that's not to say the rest is easy! We ended up starting in hot weather around noon which I don't recommend. I have never sweated so much. You have to cycle through the town and then uphill for a bit to get to the stage finish. I highly recommend giving it a go. It will certainly give you a good appreciation of the power and endurance of the pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

Hi Hurricane, how did you get over there, you sort out a place to stay before you went? I have hear that the climb is very tough alright, i think its a climb that all cycling lovers would love to do. Hope the tour goes over it next year....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 hurricane147

We drove from Nice, it's about 6 hours. Grenoble is a better option, it's approx two hours away. Yes we had accomodation booked in Hotel Le-Florentin in Bourg d'Oisans. It was fine and located in the centre of the town.

Advertisement