Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband voip setup

Options
  • 13-09-2008 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all, just moved into a house which has signed up for an Irish Broadband package which includes wireless broadband and a VoIP telephone service.

Unfortunately with the materials I have at the moment I can't seem to get the phone and the broadband working at the same time.

I have no experience with fixed wireless broadband but here is what the setup looks like to me :

Black transformer (called an ATA unit maybe?) which has two RJ45 ports on it, one of these uses PoE to send power to antenna on roof and carry wireless signal down. The other is the port which one connects to either the VoIP box or the wireless router to use the phone/internet.

The VoIP box is a Netgear TA612VSP, I'm not sure of the difference between it and a TA612V. It has two RJ45 ports (and RJ11 port for phones) on it,described on the underside diagram as an ethernet port and an internet port. The line from the transformer must be plugged into the ethernet port to get the phone to work, it wont with the internet port. I can't plug my laptop into either port to configure it or anything, nothing shows up when I do.

The router is a Linksys WRT54GC (I think, dont have it here as I write).

I can't plug the VOIP box into the router; the light on the VOIP box doesnt come on and the phone doesnt work.

Neither can I plug the router into the port on the VOIP box, the internet light on the router doesn't come on.

I had a look around on the Netgear site, they say something about changing my modem from NAT to bridge mode. Unfortunately I don't know where my modem is in this setup..is it in the black transformer? I'm pretty sure the router isnt a modem/router. Is the modem on the roof? Anyone with some experience of this kind of setup who can help, I'm all ears :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

I think this is one of the setups that the Support guys are trained on.
    Give them a call and they'll be able to talk you through it.

Advertisement