Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend a puppy that would be good with Kids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

JohnnieM wrote: »
    Thanks for that.. Thats what I need some Brandnames (Thats a joke) ..I intend taking time finding the dog could take a while youngest is nearly three so If I wait say i year ,we'll hit the four mark...Just so you all know the dog will be a big part of the family (extra member) just we may not allow Him/her indoors for the night.(maybe in time I could persuade the wife to allow Him/her indoors)
    Seriously though all the posts have made me do a re-think.. and I'm taking all your info on board..and thanks for that....The fostering option does sound quite good.. But I could still do with some advise on breeds etc etc.. What a NO NO and whats a Maybe..

I have a Cavalier - they do not like to be outdoors for long periods of time so if you want a dog to live outdoors (as per your 1st post) please rethink getting a Cav, I don't think they are hardy enough. They are very needy dogs and want almost constant companionship. They are (like all purebreeds) prone to certain genetic illness so you should only get one from a reputable breeder (same goes for all PB.)

I was the youngest of 4 kids at age 8 when my parents allowed us get a dog (the eldest being 20). Looking back I think I was too young to fully understand the responsibilities that go with a dog, so I think at ages 2 - 10 your children will have no idea of the many chores that go with a pet. A dog should not be brought into a home as a plaything for children, for them to put out in the garden when they are bored of it. If YOU want to get a dog and are willing to do all the hard, dirty work (picking up the poop, grooming, vet's visits, walks in the lashings of rain on dark winter nights etc etc)and allow your children the fun, companionship and pleasure a dog can offer then go for it.

Sorry if my post is long and rambling but I've seen so many dogs that were got "for the kids" end up abandoned when things didn't work out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

peasant wrote: »
    Any other dog would probably do the same, if you allow your kids to grope at its food while it is eating.

I would strongly suggest that you read up some more on training dogs and children how to behave around each other before you get another one.

Once you get the training and suverpision right and set up some ground rules that both the dog and kids have to follow, you can get pretty much any dog you want.

Absolutely great advice peasant, fair play :)

I've had a labrador since I was 14, sisters were 7 and 12 years old. He has a fantastic temperament, he never gets angry or threatening, ok he's big enough but he's well trained as we have been trying to teach him how to behave from a young age. He is absolutely handsome, he's become part of our family he even has his own stocking with his name on it for christmas! and I would be lost without him!
    I would recommend not ruling out a labrador, you are missing out on the most beautiful animal in the world if you get a good one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

cavalier king charles

bnagrrl wrote: »
    I have a Cavalier - they do not like to be outdoors for long periods of time so if you want a dog to live outdoors (as per your 1st post) please rethink getting a Cav, I don't think they are hardy enough.

Well any dog is capable of living out doors imho so long as they have proper shelter. After all that IS why they have fur. I think it just depends on the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Well greyhounds wouldn't be - they'd need proper shelter, with carpet and heating, i.e a house :)

• Advertisement

Glowing wrote: »
    Well greyhounds wouldn't be - they'd need proper shelter, with carpet and heating, i.e a house :)
    Actally having been to the artic and seen how some husky dogs are kept, i saw they used husky/whipet cross breeds for professional racing (you know with the sleds). These were very very short haired dogs, they were kept out side, each had an individual wooden "box" they slept in by themselves. These dogs were only brought in if the temp dropped below -40C. Otherwise they would be left outside, and were perfectly happy and healthy, including the puppies that were out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Well any dog is capable of living out doors imho so long as they have proper shelter. After all that IS why they have fur. I think it just depends on the dog.

Sorry, but that is crap. Different dog breeds have different fur/coats. The Cavaliers coat makes them not suited to living outdoors.

Edit: And just because a dog has a short coat does not mean it can't stand cold temperatures. It is all down to insulation. The cavaliers, for example do not have a undercoat to protect them from very cold temps

Noopti wrote: »
    Sorry, but that is crap. Different dog breeds have different fur/coats. The Cavaliers coat makes them not suited to living outdoors.

So long as they have the proper shelter any dog can live out doors. I know my Aunt had a Cav who lived outdoors nearly 24/7. He never wanted to come inside. He lived in a little shed that had a bean bag. He was perfectly happy and never got ill. Infact he is about 13 years old now and still lives out doors. so it aint BS if it is being done.

Edit: The short coat i was referring to was Very VERY short, as i said in the previous post. Its density was only slightly more dense then a pure breed whipet (which isnt much)

You have a very narrow view of dogs coats. You equate "fur" to being able to live in cold conditions. I'm sorry but that is incorrect. There are huge differences between certain breeds coats.....they are bred that way, based on their functions.
    So long as they have the proper shelter

Yes, correct. So a certain breed might need a warm, dry shelter. Another breed might just need somewhere dry.
    Furthermore, some breeds are companion dogs and as such, need to be part of the family (pack). So putting certain dogs in the back yard all day, with maybe a couple of hours interaction with their family is pretty cruel in my opinion.
    In fact, this would apply to all dogs in my opinion, but it certainly affects certain breeds more than others

It's a known fact that greyhounds don't have the body fat that other dogs have and therefore don't do well outdoors. If they have the 'proper shelter' i.e insulated and heated, then they're not really living outdoors are they?

Why do you think they make coats for dogs?

• Advertisement

Oh my goodness me. Of course there is different types of fur and fur densities which have been designed by nature to accommodate different breeds of dog to live OUTSIDE for the different climates they live in. But thats just my point, we live in a temperate climate, its not the artic, its not the sahara, there is no reason in the world why a dog cant live outside. Save for the human emotions and ideas that are projected onto them. Im sorry but NO dog needs a coat thats just laughable. rofl.

So youre all telling me if humans died off, so would all the dogs because they wouldnt be able to look after themselves and might get cold, they are more capable of looking after themselves and surviving outside in the rain and cold then some people allow them to be.

So youre all telling me if humans died off, so would all the dogs because they wouldnt be able to look after themselves and might get cold, they are more capable of looking after themselves and surviving outside in the rain and cold then some people allow them to be.

Eh....yeah. A LOT of dog breeds would die off.
    fur densities which have been designed by nature to accommodate different breeds of dog to live OUTSIDE
    Toy breeds are not "designed" to live outside. Plus most of the breeds we have today have not been "designed" by nature. They have been breed by humans for certain conditions/work.

Furthermore, some breeds are companion dogs and as such, need to be part of the family (pack). So putting certain dogs in the back yard all day, with maybe a couple of hours interaction with their family is pretty cruel in my opinion.
    In fact, this would apply to all dogs in my opinion, but it certainly affects certain breeds more than others

you are completly correct. If you want a family dog they yes they need to be part of the family, i dont debate this because you're right.

What im saying is there is no reason a dog cant be left outside in our climate thats just sillyness. Some people have big problems leaving the dog outside for more then an hour. I personally think if you're not home all day then let the poor dog out all day. Wither ist sunny, wet, or snowing. The dog will not die.

And to baby and coddle a dog to me is more cruel then anything else. Infact i have heard rumours amonst the "vetinary world" of trying to ban coats and jackets for animals other then horses and racing animals. Not that it would ever happen because some people just dont see the cruelty in it.

No-one is saying that you can't let the dog outside. We have a cavalier and we leave the backdoor open and she runs in and out of her own accord. However, she is not suited to living outside. That is, she is not bred to live out in a kennel/shed, especially during the winter.
    However a working farm dog for example, like a collie, is more suited to this lifestyle, then a lap dog.

Eh....yeah. A LOT of dog breeds would die off.

Toy breeds are not "designed" to live outside. Plus most of the breeds we have today have not been "designed" by nature. They have been breed by humans for certain conditions/work.

Although some dogs have been manipulated by humans and at the moment arent as you say "designed" to live out doors, all animals are capable of adapting to new enviornments. I believe that the only reason they wouldnt is because of the spoiling they get from humans, and if they were allowed to be what they are (animals) there is no reason they wouldnt survive. (although i would say that hairless dogs wouldnt stand much a chance because it would take them too long to adapt ie develop fur)

Yes they would die off.

Greyhounds have specially made coats so they can cope with low temperatures .... ask any breeder or trainer ... they'll have wardrobes of the things...

Glowing wrote: »
    Yes they would die off.

Greyhounds have specially made coats so they can cope with low temperatures .... ask any breeder or trainer ... they'll have wardrobes of the things...

eeeewwwwwweeee

So you are saying that if all humans died off, and there were no more spoils from humans, that is...waste to scavenge, that Yorkshire Terriers would survive? I doubt it.

Dogs that would be capable of hunting would have a chance to survive, but a dog that is bred purely as a companion for a human would have little chance.

Nature adapts, yes, but not that quickly. A Yorkshire terrier wouldn't grow longer legs, a thicker coat and a more formidable set of teeth overnight.

eeeewwwwwweeee

Case closed. :rolleyes:

hey yorkies are more capable then they lead you to believe. Ive seen some go after an animal 5 times their size and win. They wouldnt be looking to kill and eat something they are not capable of killing but there is certainly prey out there they are capable of killing (rats, mice, rabbits etc) which they would be perfectly able to survive off of right now, and over time and probably with cross breeding(cos dogs arent picky) it wouldnt take them long.

• Advertisement

eeeewwwwwweeee

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

try one of the irish breeds like the kerryblue you can keep them outside and show breeders have told me they are good with kids

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Im sorry but NO dog needs a coat thats just laughable. rofl.
    Riiiiiight, so not only do greyhounds NOT need a coat, but Chinese Crested dont either? :confused:

Now THAT's laughable.

A dog is a dog - yes. But when they're not suited for conditions they are in now, then you've got to help them cope with it.

We were all born barearsed, both now and at the beginning of the human race... but we have clothes, and we have heavier coats for the extra cold climates, and have suitable clothing for warmer climates.

According to the logic you're using for the dogs coats, then because we were "bred" without clothes, we should be able to survive in any climate with just what we were born with. :rolleyes:

No-one is saying that you can't let the dog outside. We have a cavalier and we leave the backdoor open and she runs in and out of her own accord. However, she is not suited to living outside. That is, she is not bred to live out in a kennel/shed, especially during the winter.
    However a working farm dog for example, like a collie, is more suited to this lifestyle, then a lap dog.

My Cav is also in and out of the backgarden all day long, she also has a kennel with a pillow and blanket but I wouldn't let her "live" out there, ie sleeping the night, every single night.

Anyway I digress. Just re-reading the OP's first post and with regard to a dog who wouldn't get wet in grass? My little Cav needs regular grooming, almost daily. Her ears can get wet/dirty from her feed bowls, the long curls need regular brushing to avoid becoming matted and no matter what length the grass is, she always gets wet from it! I'm not trying to put you off a Cav, they do make fantastic family dogs, but they may not tick all the boxes you've listed...

I really wish people would read the posts properly i did mention that the exption would be hairless dogs.
    Beth wrote: »
    Riiiiiigh, so not only do greyhounds NOT need a coat, but Chinese Crested dont either? :confused:

No greyhounds do not need a coat

Now THAT's laughable.

A dog is a dog - yes. But when they're not suited for conditions they are in now, then you've got to help them cope with it.

We were all born barearsed, both now and at the beginning of the human race... but we have clothes, and we have heavier coats for the extra cold climates, and have suitable clothing for warmer climates.

According to the logic you're using for the dogs coats, then because we were "bred" without clothes, we should be able to survive in any climate with just what we were born with./

Can i just say compairing dogs capability to cope with cold (having fur coats) and humans is just .... im seriously lost for words.

If we are going to take on every species in the world ok lets go. Humans have intelligance (not that dogs dont) to a degree that allows them to figure out solutions and to create things. This is how WE adapt. or by your lodgic perhaps elephants and other furless animals who live in our climate (whipsnade zoo) should also have a pair of undies and a jacket on.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

You don't seem too lost for words at all.

Dogs have the capability to problem solve also - though not to the same degree as humans. and create "things", hence the barkers when they're bored, digging when bored, etc - creating "things" to keep them entertained.

You were on about the way they were bred they should be able to survive.. my point was that they have to be adapted to individual climates. The same way as we have to adapt.

Yes, the comparision was way out there, it was a tool to explain :rolleyes:

this is ture, by my point was that in our temperate climate there should be no reason a dog cant live outside. As i said in my previous post, family dogs should live within the family but there isnt any reason a "furred" dog cant live outside. We dont live in the artic. I know before our dog died at the rip old age of 14 he came into the house when we were there but lived outside at night. He was happiest this way and never got ill. He was a JRT btw.

this is ture, by my point was that in our temperate climate there should be no reason a dog cant live outside. As i said in my previous post, family dogs should live within the family but there isnt any reason a "furred" dog cant live outside. We dont live in the artic. I know before our dog died at the rip old age of 14 he came into the house when we were there but lived outside at night. He was happiest this way and never got ill. He was a JRT btw.

Here's one reason a dog (CKCS but I'm sure the same goes for many other breeds) can't live outside:

"But cavaliers WILL NOT do well left in a garden all day, especially while people are at work, and are very likely to develop personality problems if abandoned in this way. They CANNOT live outside at night -- their single coats have no insulating layer and they will be uncomfortable and stressed at being alone outside. In particular, a puppy under one should never be left outside on its own, and never at night. If you are looking for a dog that can spend a lot of time outside, or that has a fair degree of independence, or which can be left alone all day, another breed would suit you better."

Taken from: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?p=224196

by my point was that in our temperate climate there should be no reason a dog cant live outside.

Yes there is. *Bangs head off brick wall*

In our temperate climate, you can get temps as low as -5 and -6 during the winter. I would only subject the hardiest of dogs to those temperatures, especially if they were used to living inside during the day. Central heating can play havoc with a dogs coat and cause him or her to shed when they wouldn't normally.

Greyhounds, lurchers etc are not hardy dogs. JRT would do a lot better outside during the winter, as would terriers etc.

• Advertisement

bnagrrl wrote: »
    Here's one reason a dog (CKCS but I'm sure the same goes for many other breeds) can't live outside:

"But cavaliers WILL NOT do well left in a garden all day, especially while people are at work, and are very likely to develop personality problems if abandoned in this way. They CANNOT live outside at night -- their single coats have no insulating layer and they will be uncomfortable and stressed at being alone outside. In particular, a puppy under one should never be left outside on its own, and never at night. If you are looking for a dog that can spend a lot of time outside, or that has a fair degree of independence, or which can be left alone all day, another breed would suit you better."

Taken from: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?p=224196

Cannot cannot, im sorry to disagree. As i said in a previous post, my aunt had a Cav which lived outside ALL the time. Is the most sweet and gentel dog ever, but preferrs to live outside. Is happy and healthy and old. Never been sick. So you cant say they cannot when right there is one that does.

Advertisement