Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend a puppy that would be good with Kids

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

And my point is... Glowing made it better than I was going to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

not very many people in the uk leave the dogs outside because of the problems of them being stolen -- a large number of them taken to ireland-and then sold on.as the number of people in ireland having pets increases it will start to happen there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

well id love to discuss this further but gota go. will just have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

no ... because you're WRONG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Wher'd my thread go!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Hi JohnnieM , where do you stand in your thinking now?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Cannot cannot, im sorry to disagree. As i said in a previous post, my aunt had a Cav which lived outside ALL the time. Is the most sweet and gentel dog ever, but preferrs to live outside. Is happy and healthy and old. Never been sick. So you cant say they cannot when right there is one that does.

:rolleyes:
    SIGH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

JohnnieM wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for a dog that would be good with kids But not to big (like a lab) and not too small like a Yorkie..Dont want it getting all wet in long grass etc etc..(it will be living outdoors in a kennel..) Something that would play fetch would be very important...All suggestions welcome..Thanks in advance
    J

funniest requirement I have come across in years - I just dont get it..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

it's quite simple really. we wear clothes because we evolved to be mostly hairless, so if we were to stay out in the cold we could get hypothermia/pneumonia/possibly die.

naturally, dogs were probably more wolf like and were perfectly suitable for living outside. since we domesticated them and probably allowed them to hang around fires and fed them, they now depend on us to look after them. it's a simple fact that some dogs now are just not suited to being left outside. greyhounds etc. have barely any fur and are also such slim dogs they have no fat to keep them warm either so would definitely feel the cold.

besides the physical side of things, which do you think is better. A dog that is part of his "pack" (i.e. his human family) spends time indoors with them and sleeps indoors but can go outside anytime he likes, goes for plenty of walks and is generally a well socialized and happy dog.

Or, a dog that is left to the elements, left out in a backyard most of the time except maybe a walk if he's lucky, with very little interaction with people (can't see most people standing out in the Irish weather keeping the dog company!) and therefor has a high chance of become aggressive or developing other bad habits such as barking brought on by isolation and boredom?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

SuzyS1972 wrote: »
    funniest requirement I have come across in years - I just dont get it..........

Seen the weather lately?
    An outside Yorkie would drown in the wet grass that you haven't been able to cut for weeks.

I can sympathise with that particular requirement. Two of our dogs only need their legs dried when they come back in from out back, the Terrier needs a complete towel wrap and rub down :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Yes it being rather late I forgot about the living outdoors bit ! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Hi JohnnieM , where do you stand in your thinking now?:)

Well the "brandname" ;) Ive deceided to go for is Golden retriever..But I'm not getting "it" I mean one right now.. Gonna wait the few months.. In the meantime gonna seee can they or are therw any need to be rescued (although I prob doubt it)
    The cav king charles Looks a like a smashing little doggies but from reading up about them it would be totally unfair and unsuitable to have them out doors as they are primarally a lap dog...)and were apparently bred for that reason) Would love to get one down the line but er indoors has to be obeyed :D...
    Start training the kids tomorrow..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

JohnnieM wrote: »
    Well the "brandname" ;) Ive deceided to go for is Golden retriever..But I'm not getting "it" I mean one right now.. Gonna wait the few months.. In the meantime gonna seee can they or are therw any need to be rescued (although I prob doubt it)
    The cav king charles Looks a like a smashing little doggies but from reading up about them it would be totally unfair and unsuitable to have them out doors as they are primarally a lap dog...)and were apparently bred for that reason) Would love to get one down the line but er indoors has to be obeyed :D...
    Start training the kids tomorrow..;)

Well done JohnnieM, fair play to you for doing a bit of research and considering a rescue. Wish I had taken a rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

Thats why "Brandnames" are so good you can do some reasearch..

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Good on you for thinking it out, and good on you for thinking about a rescue!!
    I've a rescue Rottweiler and she will do anything she can to try please us. They are so loyal and grateful for getting a forever home where they're shown love and affection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Cat5 wrote: »
    Thats why "Brandnames" are so good you can do some reasearch..

not necessarily. every dog is different even if they are a certain breed.

Advertisement