Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowen Next Up To 'Announce' Claregalway Bypass

Options
  • 13-09-2008 4:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Brian is in Galway next week and is seemingly expected to make an 'announcement' on the Claregalway Bypass . It is in HIS program of government 2007-2012 after all.

It is a condition of the negotiations FF are having with Noel Grealish that they bail Noel out on this issue otherwise he is a dead politician walking nomatter what party he chooses to represent .

I understand that they are only really hiring a few engineers on a 1 year contract to finalise the design and draw up the CPO lists .

Brian may also make an annoucement that the N18 Gort Crusheen construction contract has been signed, in fact if he does not make that announcement it bodes ill for that particular scheme and means that the dept of Finance have 'won' their argument ....namely that major road schemes are to be halted forthwith.

Lazy and thick Galway Journos caught between wine fuelled press launches are urged to actually read the programme for government which is linked here ( please CLICK on it )

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/Pdf%20files/Eng%20Prog%20for%20Gov.pdf

and which explicitly promises the Claregalway Bypass as well as/in addition to the N17 from Athenry to Tuam . That Athenry - Tuam road is called the Atlantic Road Corridor .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Even that manifesto is wrong.
    The Atlantic Road Corridor connecting Letterkenny and Waterford through Sligo, Charlestown, Tuam,Galway, Gort, Ennis, Limerick, Mallow and Cork to motorway standard.

So we need a full blown motorway around Charlestown now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Even that manifesto is wrong.

Tis indeed Chris
    So we need a full blown motorway around Charlestown now?

Or around Dungarvan or New Ross ?? No!

2+2 would be fine . Anything would be fine if it were done in my lifetime .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Cork to Galway should ideally be motorway, the rest 2+2.

But with tough planning laws around it so theres no direct access allowed (like a motorway) and room around junctions to allow full grade separation should it be required.

I was out at home yesterday and yes there is talk about this again. The theory about this being to help Noel makes sense.

The talk is around a new link road from the Corandulla road up to the Roscommon road junction and putting a roundabout there, linking into the line of a potential future bypass as indicated on the Claregalway development plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Has anyone heard how the traffic lights and bus lane are working out? Are they making any difference?

• Advertisement

The traffic lights haven't been switched on yet - they are still painting the road markings.

Ahh okay - I seen something in the paper about them being turned on but I didn't actually read the article.

I hope they help though.

Im driving up through Claregalway today - leaving Galway at 5 :(

Have the traffic lights helped? They were switched on during the week I think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Tawny wrote: »
    Im driving up through Claregalway today - leaving Galway at 5 :(

Have the traffic lights helped? They were switched on during the week I think....

Has not made a difference to anything as far as Im concerned. Still the usual tailbacks in morning and evenings.

A proper road is the only thing that will sort that town out Im afraid.

Advertisement