Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of building??

Options
  • 13-09-2008 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

Currently looking at building with my girlfriend in the Kildare area (Naas or beyond).
    Excluding the site cost, has anybody any idea on the cost of a contractor in the current climate? I presume a price per ft2 \ m2 is the most common form of pricing?

Any info MUCH appreciated! (Including info on any bargain sites out there - if there is such a thing!!)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No idea what the pricing would be in Kildare but you wont get anything less than €100/sq. ft. more than likely around the €130 - €150 per sq. foot mark. As I said I dont really know but some of the other guys here may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'd agree that €100 / sqft would be average price.

I did see an advert this week, in a local Wexford paper by a Building Contractor offering his services for €60/sqft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 murph08

RKQ.

I'm just beside Wexford and am looking for a Building Contractor, Would you please PM me his name and no. If you still have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

The Echo Newspaper, page 142, Wednesday 10th Sept 08.
    I'll PM the phone number, its a boxed advert. 3" x 2".

I have no idea who he is or how good he is.... I quote
    "Builder Available, Total build €60 per sqft, from start to finish ..... anywhere considered. Homebond Registered & fully insured"

(Mods I hope its ok to quote advert... no names or numbers but I felt its important, as he states he'll consider anywhere -and is Homebond registered.)

It seems very competitive!

Thanks RKQ for the quick reply.
    This seems a very good price. What are the advantages of getting a builder that has homebond? Do people who work for homebond check there work to see is it up to SPEC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

im getting quotes in for 60 - 70 per sq ft in Dublin now.

We were getting 120 - 150 per sq ft quotes last year and said we'd wait and see what happens over the year. Now the same people are calling us and quoting the lower prices. If you pay more you're being robbed in this climate. If we call them its 80 or thereabouts. Looks like the best course is get lots of quotes. tell them they are way higher than others you can get and they have to come down. Thn let them stew for a few months. When they have no work on they'll call you. And work is very hard for them to get these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
    John Ruskin, English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900)

for a realistic if approximate guide to prices ( still )

http://www.scs.ie/HOUSE_REBUILDING_INSURANCE_May_2008.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

sinnerboy wrote: »
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Not true that they are a little worse. Nobody is saying buy on price alone. Things are tuff for contractors now. The same guys quoting ridiculous prices a year ago where they made huge profits are now coming back with cheaper quotes with no less a standard in materials - just less ridiculous profits.

As always people should check references and have a look at work done and all the rest - no matter what the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Lets just say I would be more interested to hear next year that you HAD BUILT at those rates .

Commodities and utilities costs are rising . Some builders are desperate .

Reality is - is all very well to qoute a low rate - it is another thing to deliver it .

Reality is - is all very well to qoute a low rate - it is another thing to deliver it .[/quote]

This is why i asked about "Homebond". If a builder is registered with them, do they have to use certain materals and do the have to stick with the price quoated?

• Advertisement

RKQ wrote: »
    The Echo Newspaper, page 142, Wednesday 10th Sept 08.
    I'll PM the phone number, its a boxed advert. 3" x 2".

I have no idea who he is or how good he is.... I quote
    "Builder Available, Total build €60 per sqft, from start to finish ..... anywhere considered. Homebond Registered & fully insured"

(Mods I hope its ok to quote advert... no names or numbers but I felt its important, as he states he'll consider anywhere -and is Homebond registered.)

It seems very competitive!
    The post is fine RKQ.

Just to point out that while the builder may be registered with Homebond it will most likely be an "extra" to have the house registered although a couple of grand should cover that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 chiplad

Thanks folks for all the info so far!

I guess we'll keep looking for now and haggle as best we can. It also seems that maybe a log home is an option.....

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Glulam

I am in the middle of a self build and in my experience calculating the cost in €/sq Ft is not a very accurate way of doing it.
    From my own experience labour costs are definitely are lower than this time last year but materials have also increased dramitically.
    I have now completed the internal plastering on my own house. Its approx 3200 sq ft and to date I've spent approx 250k. But I could spend as much again on the finish so really you've got ask yourself what type of finish you want.
    I would strongly advise you to get a QS and price out the job as far as a builders finish after that its up to yourself.

Glulam wrote: »
    I would strongly advise you to get a QS and price out the job as far as a builders finish after that its up to yourself.
    Good advice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Just on that point, how much would it cost to get a QS to price a one-off house?

Are we talking hundreds or thousands?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

sinnerboy wrote: »
    John Ruskin, English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900)

for a realistic if approximate guide to prices ( still )

http://www.scs.ie/HOUSE_REBUILDING_INSURANCE_May_2008.pdf
    God forbid ya should live anywhere apart from the coast according to that guideline.

Mike2006 wrote: »
    Just on that point, how much would it cost to get a QS to price a one-off house?

Are we talking hundreds or thousands?

Mike.
    Like house building costs it depends on where you are located and who you get. It shouldnt cost any more than a grand. In Donegal it would cost on average around €700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 QS THIS

Your not doing too bad at €78 per sqft !!!!

Prices per square foot are only for budgets, you should never rely on them during a self build as, the cost can jump based on your choices
    Glulam wrote: »
    I am in the middle of a self build and in my experience calculating the cost in €/sq Ft is not a very accurate way of doing it.
    From my own experience labour costs are definitely are lower than this time last year but materials have also increased dramitically.
    I have now completed the internal plastering on my own house. Its approx 3200 sq ft and to date I've spent approx 250k. But I could spend as much again on the finish so really you've got ask yourself what type of finish you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I agree with some of the posters above, the cost per sq ft/m is very ball park and not terribly accurate, I've had builders telling me its 80 to 90 a sq ft since I started my own practice in 2000, they're still telling me its around that ( a bit lower perhaps) but when you actually send them a half decent set of drawings and get stuff priced it generally works out at more. Bear in mind that its generally only for a builders finish, no floor finishes, kitchens, painting etc etc, you know the expensive stuff!!! :D

We'll do it for 500, I'd price a dog house at the moment
    muffler wrote: »
    Like house building costs it depends on where you are located and who you get. It shouldnt cost any more than a grand. In Donegal it would cost on average around €700

• Advertisement

Bang onn the money, if your getting done for 80- 100 €sqft, ask the builder for a full breakdown of the works, with prices beside it, give him your specs aswell, also get a few prices in the same manner,

the builder will probably huff and puff, but, at the end of the day its your cash, and this format enables u to check the work, and stops him coming back with extras, and pleading with you for more money, get it all out in th open first AND GET A CONTRACT RIAI STYLE, AND MAYBE A BOND IN PLACE , ITS BUST SEASON FOR BUILDERS, THEY MAY BE KEEN BUT THE WORRY IS STILL THERE !!!

PERSONALLY I WOULD GRILL A BUILDER THESE DAYS BEFORE I OPEN THE DOOR TO HIM / HER, AND I WOULD TRY AND SCREW HIM FOR EVERYTING, THEY HAVE NO PROBLEM DOING IT TO ME / YOU - FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE LADS !!!
    No6 wrote: »
    I agree with some of the posters above, the cost per sq ft/m is very ball park and not terribly accurate, I've had builders telling me its 80 to 90 a sq ft since I started my own practice in 2000, they're still telling me its around that ( a bit lower perhaps) but when you actually send them a half decent set of drawings and get stuff priced it generally works out at more. Bear in mind that its generally only for a builders finish, no floor finishes, kitchens, painting etc etc, you know the expensive stuff!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

QS THIS wrote: »
    PERSONALLY I WOULD GRILL A BUILDER THESE DAYS BEFORE I OPEN THE DOOR TO HIM / HER, AND I WOULD TRY AND SCREW HIM FOR EVERYTING, THEY HAVE NO PROBLEM DOING IT TO ME / YOU - FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE LADS !!!

I really hate to work with you building a house!

I've got 50euro per square foot in Cavan. Great builder too.

Looking back I should have added another 20% onto the budget to allow for extras etc. Best thing to do is make sure anything that the builder does thats not covered in the 1st quote must be ran past you otherwise he runs the risk of not getting paid for it.

€50 - you robbed him, all in all that is a great price, well under the market price, even for cavan,

How far does the 50 get you? what the type and sqft of the house.?

Looking back I should have added another 20% onto the budget to allow for extras etc. Best thing to do is make sure anything that the builder does thats not covered in the 1st quote must be ran past you otherwise he runs the risk of not getting paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I used two contractors, one for basement and another for the house. Its hitting the 5k sq ft mark now. I got 11 quotes before I started, there was slightly cheaper quotes but this guy had a good reputation. So far so good. Starting interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I used two contractors, one for basement and another for the house. Its hitting the 5k sq ft mark now. I got 11 quotes before I started, there was slightly cheaper quotes but this guy had a good reputation. So far so good. Starting interior.

2 very different figures there Bill..

2 very different figures there Bill..
    I think he said in one post that the cost was €50/sq. ft. and in the other he give the floor area including the basement.

Bill,

i am hugly baffeled at where €50sqft, on an 5,000 sq ft house, is getting you, the builder has got to be making a loss,

Is it labour only? are you buying materials?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

My first quote has come in at €86/sq. ft. before VAT. Full build including PC sums. Reputable local builder who has done work for three individuals I know personally, full builds and extensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

I would strongly doubt a figure of €50 a sqft for a builders finish. Not insulting anyones honesty but in my build I'm coming in at around €66/€68 sqft including my Project Managers fee. Roof is finishing today and windows are in, so I'm reasonable far along. I'd guess that my materials cost to a builders finish will be over €40 sqft, if not close to or above €45 sqft. I'm only a few weeks away from finalising the spend to builders finish so I'll be 100% sure of materails cost by then...

I know an intelligent builder can benefit from economies of scale with ordering and also use left overs from one site as materials in another etc., but I still find it hard to get my head around the low prices..

I could grasp a self builder who keeps all finishes etc. to the minimum and does a lot of labour himself - could squeeze in at €50 sqft, but even still it would be an amazing achievement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i'm awaiting final plans for an extension in dublin, draft plan is 340 square foot single story extension at rear of the house, which will require knock back wall and also wall between kitchen and dining room to make open plan...can i seriously expext builders costs to be 80-100 per square foot?

Advertisement