Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of building??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 QS THIS

bamboozle wrote: »
    i'm awaiting final plans for an extension in dublin, draft plan is 340 square foot single story extension at rear of the house, which will require knock back wall and also wall between kitchen and dining room to make open plan...can i seriously expext builders costs to be 80-100 per square foot?

Yeah your looking at about, €40,000- 45,000 up to builders finish,

Do your self a favour and get an engineer out to check the slab and foundation pour and sign it off, I came across ajob recently and i said to the owener and the builders that the foundations were not wide enough , they ignored me, the builder just told the owner not to listen to me,

I met her after the job was done and low and behold the founds started to sink and needed under pinning at a cost of 20 k - and guess what the builder was nowhere to be seen, - she didnt have a contract either .

Just cover yourself pal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

check p 32 of the 2008 version

http://www.dlpks.ie/publications_after.html

dlpks are a handy industry guide for this sort of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

35000 to 40000 more like it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well I've only 250k of a mortgage. I've set prices on everything and I've been in a finished house that the builder has done to show me what his quote included. Its a builders finish. Anything I've added on is of course extra.

250k for a 5k sq ft house is 50euro per sq ft.

I am not buying materials nor supervising anything.

I'll invite you all down when I get a kettle working! Also, they guy I am using was not the cheapest. I had one for 45 euro a sq ft.

All of the carpentry and electrics and any of the guys doing the work on the house are all now back to the small crews they had over 5 years ago. All the extra people they've taken on are gone and the Electrician and plumber are barely making a full weeks work. I asked the builder at the start for his best quote, I never went back with the whole make my quote cheaper or else I use someone else. He is a top notch builder and I am happy to have him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

you sound to be lucky all round there. Best of luck with it. Keep us all informed bow ya get on. My one piece of advise is get an industrial sized kettle if you're offering around on boardsnas ya could get quite a few acceptances. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have a client who has just got a quotation of €115,000 for his 154 m2 bungalow with a detached 45m2 garage and a mech. aeration system. PC sums included for kitchen, fireplaces, sanitary ware. Fairly decent contractor too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 murph08

Anyone now off any good builders, that is good value around the south kilkenny area??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I would say he is just keeping his work force ticking over. I can't see him making anything major on that, muffler.

I have some land myself, I'm going to develop a site from it now. I have spoken to some decent small contractors I have worked with over the last few years, who I will basically take on as subbies for this build, costings as follows:

186m2 floor area €163,000

Site fencing, treatment system, borewell, landscaping, entrance, kerbing and driveway, kitchen, floorcoverings, stoves, tiling and painting, solar and vert. geo., 30m2 garage with car port. €86,000

Contingencies €21,000

The site I will leave at 0.34 hectares (0.75 acres) with option to buy extra 0.22 hectares (0.5 acres) no road frontage, for pets (dogs, ponies or sparrows I don't care). I have recently planted an oak grove on 0.4 hectares (1 acre) which will provide a nice backdrop for the site.

I have learned from recent events and got a favoured councillor on board, the site is in the structurally weak area of the county, got the thumbs up in the pre planning meeting. Obviously it's a one off design based on the site, the costings have been approved in principal. Already had 2 auctioneers/valuers look at the project and have put valuations of €380,000 and €410,000 respectively on the sale, I've left the details with them, they can sell them from the plans if they wish.

So with 5 weeks work under my belt on this so far I am ready to get going with the application for planning permission.

Obviously this is not going to be a development for myself, but to sell on in order to keep some good local grafters in work for the next 8 months and hopefully make a few quid myself for the site. I think I will be lucky to get €315,000 for the finished works, based on the way markets are going but even at that I will be happy.

So what do you think, is it madness?

If you can secure a mortgage there was never a better time to build or consider building especially if you own the land. I would proceed with the planning part and maybe book one of the local builders for a January - March start and then keep an eye on the building/development climate at that stage.

If things have remained static then proceed with the build. However if the building trade/property business is still on a slippery slope you may well want to consider holding on the build until a bit of light appears at the end of the tunnel.

I think the trick is to get the builders cheap but get them tied down to a contract at a time that the economy is about to improve abit. By the time you would have completed the build then prices would have risen again (hopefully) and there is your nice little bonus.

As you know you shouldnt pay much heed to what auctioneers will value your end product at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

muffler wrote: »
    just got a quotation of €115,000 for his 154 m2 bungalow with a detached 45m2 garage and a mech. aeration system. PC sums included for kitchen, fireplaces, sanitary ware. Fairly decent contractor too.
    That sounds pretty good.

Uncle Tom I'd have to agree with muffler, get on with the planning application and assess the climate in January. It is a good time to build especially if the finance is in place.

I think people will always want well designed detached dwellings on a decent site. Good luck with the development.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

muffler wrote: »
    I have a client who has just got a quotation of €115,000 for his 154 m2 bungalow with a detached 45m2 garage
    I would say he is just keeping his work force ticking over. I can't see him making anything major on that, muffler.
    RKQ wrote: »
    That sounds pretty good.
    Welcome to Donegal. I think the builder will make a nice profit on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Question: Are the SQF/SQM prices quoted here pre- or post- VAT?

VAT included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Ta Muffler. That's good news (for me anyway)

Hmmm. Think I'll be doing a bit more shopping and negotiating. Having budgeted for €125/130 per sqf, I reckon I can get to 80?

btw, how does anyone manage to get a like-for-like quote while dealing with a tf company and a contractor? I mean, given that you'd get a full price finish from a contractor on concrete build, but the same (or other) contractor dealing with a tf company would need to adjust his sqf price.

Not sure if that makes sense! Basically, it seems difficult to compare prices between contractor concrete build and tf + contractor, because of the difference in what you get from tf depending on the company, whereas with concrete it's like-with-like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

QS THIS wrote: »
    Yeah your looking at about, €40,000- 45,000 up to builders finish,

Do your self a favour and get an engineer out to check the slab and foundation pour and sign it off, I came across ajob recently and i said to the owener and the builders that the foundations were not wide enough , they ignored me, the builder just told the owner not to listen to me,

I met her after the job was done and low and behold the founds started to sink and needed under pinning at a cost of 20 k - and guess what the builder was nowhere to be seen, - she didnt have a contract either .

Just cover yourself pal

thanks for your reply, bit of a stupid question but when you say builder's finish, would this include electrics & plumbing & plastering but not kitchen, floors doors? given we will have to use a bit of steel to support where internal walls will be removed i was expecting closer to 60k before kitchen etc!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sinnerboy wrote: »
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
    John Ruskin, English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900)

for a realistic if approximate guide to prices ( still )

http://www.scs.ie/HOUSE_REBUILDING_INSURANCE_May_2008.pdf

just a note to the above, these costs would include costs of demolition and extraction off site, plus professional fees on top... you could probably take 10% off to cover these...

Advertisement