Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit've help please

Options
  • 13-09-2008 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Heya's, i was on to most of you at the end of the summer about a few economic subject choice questions for the final year.

Right so i've picked most of the subjects, i just have to finalise 2 more, and i'd love some advide.

For the first semester i had picked History of economic thought, but after attending the first lecture with cormac o'grada, i just dont think i can hack him for a full semester, and he doesnt have anything on blackboard.. i mean 2 hours of him speaking off the topic is tough to god damn follow! The only other 2 i could pick is Transport or Industrial economics, i do enjoy market structures but i do not enjoy game theory! And i've heard bad things about transport... any advice on a choice between the 3?

The next semster would either be; labour, public policy, human behaviour or behaviour economics? Or else I could just pick an elective...

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

And one final general question, does any1 else who's doin econometrics have this time conflict with nearly EVERY OTHER option they've picked!

Thanks again
    Roebuck

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I took labour economics (not in UCD though) and I really, really loved it. It was my favourite economics course *ever*. It's also a pretty accessible area and not abscract so it's easy to understand: employment, migration, earnings, discrimation etc. are all things most people can relate to and get a handle on. Try googling a few journal articles on each of the module areas and read the abstracts, it might give you more of a flavour. Transport economics is a big area these days in ireland, especially if you want to go into economic consulting on public projects or whatever. I did a course in public policy and a lot of the content was very helpful in other subjects e.g. cost beneft analysis, public expenditure evaluation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I took labour economics last year and wasn't particularly fond of it. It was John Sheehan teaching the course though, and I'm not overly fond of his lecturing so that put a bit of a downer on it for me anyway. The actual subject seemed pretty interesting though.

I sat in on a good few lectures of Human Behaviour (I was initially intending on taking it, but couldn't due to timetable clashes) and I liked it; the material seemed quite similar to that of the third year micro course from what I saw.

Is health economics an option for you? If so, I'd heartily recommend it as the topics covered are quite interesting and it's a bit of a break in discussing the economics of a not massively economicy area. The lecturer we had, Lisa Farrell, was excellent as well.

Advertisement