Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish "Chinese" Food

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Ive seen loads of Chinese go for full Irish Breakfasts -must be the pork and fried thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mixr2006 wrote: »
    Exaggerating the word "crap" there, don't you think bill? The fact that you did say you " Used to eat chinese food", "all the time". Perhaps the fact that you ate it "all the time" meaning you probably have a change of taste buds??

Obviously, you do not need to go to china to find real chinese food.
    There is real chinese food restaurants right here in the heart of Dublin!

Just for arguement sake about westernized chinese food okay.
    Reasons why it has to be "westernized"...
    Cultural differences; (Business point of view) It has to be changed to suit Irish people taste. E.g Would "Some" Irish people eat chicken/duck/pigs/cow's -feets/intestines/heart/liver or even tongues??Basicially anything, believe it or not? This is REAL chinese food...
    If chinese businesses sold these kind of food, would you think their business will survive in this country? Point taken....

Maybe yourself Bill, need to do a bit of research before criticising and jumping into conclusion.

If your wondering....I am irish... Just in case you think i'm being racist...

What also happens here is that you get people who aren't really chefs running Chinese kitchens.
    I know a Chinese girl in UK that runs a restaurant and her only qualification for doing so is the fact that she's Chinese! Lovely girl but terrible cook!
    I suspect that many of the Chinese 'chefs' here wouldn't get work as a chef in China. Same goes for many Indian restaurants here.

I'd like to see more ethnic restaurants that could stand on their own as 'good' restaurants irrespective of where the food comes from.

What also happens here is that you get people who aren't really chefs running Chinese kitchens.
    I know a Chinese girl in UK that runs a restaurant and her only qualification for doing so is the fact that she's Chinese! Lovely girl but terrible cook!
    I suspect that many of the Chinese 'chefs' here wouldn't get work as a chef in China. Same goes for many Indian restaurants here.

I'd like to see more ethnic restaurants that could stand on their own as 'good' restaurants irrespective of where the food comes from.
    a lot of stuff is brought in prepacked and is heat and serve

sorry to disillusion everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

CDfm wrote: »
    sorry to disillusion everyone

Did you think everyone was under the illusion that the Chinese food that took a few minutes to prepare from time or order was being cooked from scratch? Sorry to disillusion you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 travellerI

Here's my 5 fen's worth. There are eight different cooking styles in China. I wont name them all - but they include Beijing, Shanghai, Guandong, Anhui, Sichuan, Xinjiang, Shandong.

There are 1.3 Billion people in China, a vast country, therefore the food there is not homogenous. The majority of Chinese restauarants/take-aways in Ireland serve mainly Guandong (Cantonese) food i.e. sweet and sour, steamed fish, lemon chicken - sweet and sour being a main characteristic of this type of cooking. There is not a huge difference between cantonese food served in Hong Kong and Parnell Street in Dublin except the choice on Parnell Street is limited. There is a Cantonese saying, four legs not a table, two wings not a plane - we will eat it.

From my experience of Chinese people in Ireland, their main preference is for Sichuan (la or spicy food - and I mean spicy). Also a lot of Chinese in Dublin are Dong-Bei, Shenyang, Dalian people and they also have different food preferences. Some of the Restaurants in Parnell Street are good and others are not - but most are good value compared with say Imperial, Fans etc

traveller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

travellerI wrote: »
    There is not a huge difference between cantonese food served in Hong Kong and Parnell Street in Dublin except the choice on Parnell Street is limited. There is a Cantonese saying, four legs not a table, two wings not a plane - we will eat it.
    I disagree. There is a huge difference between the choice and quality of the cantonese food available in dublin and Hong Kong. There's also no real cantonese restaurants on Parnell Street.

The best cantonese restaurants in dublin city centre is probably Good World and the Imperial. I eat in them regularly for their dim-sum which is home made. They have proper chefs working in them as opposed to untrained cooks in chinese takeaways. Just stay away from the westernised menu which serves out the same kind of crap food you get in take-aways.

The dim-sums in these places are also tastier than the ones in china town in London which was surprising. I tried several restaurants when in London last year. Of course they are no where as good or good value as the ones you find in Hong Kong. And that's just dim-sum.
    From my experience of Chinese people in Ireland, their main preference is for Sichuan (la or spicy food - and I mean spicy). Also a lot of Chinese in Dublin are Dong-Bei, Shenyang, Dalian people and they also have different food preferences. Some of the Restaurants in Parnell Street are good and others are not - but most are good value compared with say Imperial, Fans etc
    I've tried a couple of the restaurants in Parnell Street and never liked them. They are authentic chinese but usually not very tasty compared to good cantanese dishes.

Did you think everyone was under the illusion that the Chinese food that took a few minutes to prepare from time or order was being cooked from scratch? Sorry to disillusion you.
    it beats the socks of Mickie Ds - and at the price is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 travellerI

Code Monkey

You are correct, there are no Cantonese Restaurants on Parnell Street. The Good Cantonese ones are on the SoutSide of the Liffey, Imperial, Good World,
    Fans, and the one accross from the Stephens Green shopping centre. I think that the Cantonese food served in Dublin is of a quite good quality. My only complaint is the paucity of restaurants serving dim dum at lunch time and the cost of dim sum.

Traveller I

Advertisement