Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does the physical addiction last?

Options
  • 13-09-2008 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

I have smoked for five years and currently smoke forty a day.
    Now even though I don't intend to quit within the next month it is something I intend to do by Christmas and I will be going cold turkey, without the aid of nicorette ect.
    I want to know how long does the physical addiction last.i.e. Tightness in the chest, mild trembling of the hands ect. I heard once the first 72 hours have elapsed all traces of Nicotine has left the bloodstream and the physical addiction decreases a great deal.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

2 weeks IMO. I was physically ill for a week, after 14 days I came out of it totally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

I don't intend to quit within the next month it is something I intend to do by Christmas.

Classic mistake of the addict.

I learned that the hard way.

QUIT NOW!

Or else you will always be saying "tomorrow"..which never ever ever comes.

Give yourself 6 months after that to be confident of being in the clear.

Putting it off till after next month or Christmas is a fool's (addict's) game.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

the nicotine is supposed to be out of the system in 48 hrs but the mental addiction that's the killer. There's loads of ways of beating the addiction you need to find the one that suits you. People will say one day at a time/ eat fruit think of some thing else, It's what ever works for you I have a few,
    my money jar getting bigger,
    the physical apperance is getting better (less wrinkles teeth not stained),
    not wanting to die at an early age,
    Realising that it's a dirty, disgusting habit,
    but to you they might mean feck all
    so you,ve got to find what works for you and stick to it.

I found the first week a killer but now for the life of me I cant figure out why I smoked in the first place the smell of them near makes me sick.keep posting here, on my thread I found the encouragement I recieved helped me no end.
    Best of luck with it and when you want to give up you will, the hard part is realising you want to give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Didn't really feel sick or anything like that but the pangs still hit me from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

i didn't get any physical withdrawals to be honest, but it took about 2 weeks before my brain stopped trying to tell me it was fag time,if you can understand that..
    best of luck, do it now for added pleasure!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

It all works in 3's. 3 minutes, 3 hours, 3 days, 3 weeks and so on, I'm off them four and a half years now, just don't give in. Get Alan Carrs book it along with the gum worked for me. its a cycle, the craving lasts 3 mins, keep yourself busy and it will go, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I used Nicorette so I may not have had the same physical addictions problems. The psychological addictions are much worse especially the fact that you may be unbearable to those around you for a few weeks.

(11 years off a 55 a day habit. :) but addicted to Nicorette for 8 years. :()

Advertisement