Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas street pedestrian Hazard

Options
  • 13-09-2008 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

This may seem like a very minor matter but I'll relate the story anyway.
    I regularly meet a few people and have a coffee on Thomas st.
    Today a young girl (about 8), tripped on the kerb where the pedestrian section meets the road. She had a bad fall and was in much pain afterwards.
    A few weeks ago we saw a man trip on the same kerb with his hands in his pockets, he broke his arm and nose.
    We have seen many others trip but not fall.
    After today's incident, other friends talked about accidents they had seen. Apparently an old lady had a bad fall there.
    For those of you not familiar with the area. The kerb has an upstand of about 100mm (4") at the Aubars end of Thoma street. This kerb grades down to level with road and pedestrian area further down the street. Because the colour of the surfaces are the same, you would not easily notice the Kerb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If memory serves correct the kerb is only at the edge of Catherine Street and Little Catherine Street and there are stainless steel sticking up out of the path at that corner from what I remember. If people crossed at appropriate points it would not be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

No it runs down further because this bit of the street doubles up as a roadway during the morning - theres a small back street heading to William Street before Little Catherine Street.. The kerb kinda grows out from nowhere alright!

I'd agree that it is pretty dangerous, saw it before and thought the same.

must take a look next time I'm up that way. Didn't notice it at all over the past few months when I was working in town. I know there's a dip, but I wouldn't have thought it dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

CLAIM!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I saw an elderly man fall outside Aubars and bashed his nose. He was very dazed and bloody. Loads of people helped him though.
    99er -no one in Ireland crosses the road at the right point-it's genetic.

• Advertisement

limerick is the internationally recognised jay-walking capital of the world.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I remember showing a friend from Ennis around Limerick City a year ago, he hadn't a clue how to time his runs across O'Connell and William Streets! :D

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary about the path/curb on Thomas Street, will check it out next time I'm near there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

zuroph wrote: »
    CLAIM!!!!!

IsweartoGodsirsweartoGod - I seen him fall 'nall!

Yes, we can proudly boast of having the world's broadest zebra crossing, aka O'Connell St. My heart almost bursts with pride when I walk across it.

its actually quite impressive to see the local drivers and the local pedestrians just slot perfectly into the rhythm of it all. then it gets ruined by some ould wan from tipp town veering from the right lane to the left lane as she heads up o connell st at the keanes jewellers junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I rememver the fiirst time that I went up to Dub on my own when I was about 16ish.
    Myself and a friend went up for the day.

We were shocked by all the people standing around waiting for the green man of all things!
    And drivers beeping us for walking infront of them!

Shocked I tell you!!!:P

I had a discussion with a group of Spanish tourists a few years ago too, who thought everyone in Limerick had a death wish!

• Advertisement

If only we could make our name internationally associated with jay-walking as opposed to knife crime...we might get more tourism....Death wish city eh:D

Advertisement