Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I tell my parents I smoke?

Options
  • 13-09-2008 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Its driving me insane, I have to tell them soon, but I don't want to dissapoint. I don't want to quit...

How should I go about telling them?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

do either of them smoke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭yeah?

Neither smoke, but they both used to..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Then I am very very suprised they dont already know you smoke. As an ex smoker I can smell cigarette smoke from another car when I am driving!!

My son smokes and I knew exactly when he started. I wish he would stop, and I have no hesitation in telling him out straight that he stinks.

But as an exsmoker I also know just how much of a hold it can have over you. But I am never going to allow him to smoke in my house. Never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

the sooner you tell them the sooner they will get over it and instead start nagging you to quit, Hey its a new pet project for them lol:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How old are you ?

I have told my two I will not pay for them to smoke, that they will have to be 18 with thier own money if they wish too smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Why do you have to tell them?

I am 33 and my parents dont know i smoke (ahem!)

sometimes you are better off keeping stum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

seeing as no one has yet offered any helpful advice for the OP:

Some suggestions:
    -Sit them down and start asking them when did they start smoking
    -Ask them what it was that attracted them to smoking
    -Ask them what their parents thought of it and what how they told their parents

By this stage your parents should have a fairly good idea where you are going with this and just tell them that you are currently smoking and that you wanted them to know because you didn't want to be doing it behind their back.

Yes, as someone already asked, what age are you? Their response [your parents] will be determined on this.

There's worse you could be up to so maybe that is something to keep in mind but be prepared for your folks to give you a lecture on the dangers of smoking, sometimes ex-smokers are far more dis-approving of non-smokers as they have first hand experience of the damage it can do and of the nasty habit that it is.

irishbird wrote: »
    Why do you have to tell them?

I am 33 and my parents dont know i smoke (ahem!)

sometimes you are better off keeping stum

I think this is very dangerous advice. It isn't a healthy attitude to have to relations with your parents. They are there to be your port in the storm. If you can't be open and honest with them especially as an adult, your missing out on vital support in life.

Run forrest has given good advice op. I think they will appreciate your honesty in the long run.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Never tell them and give up before they find out:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 14 howisitgoing

dont tell them i flipped when my 19 year old told me

• Advertisement

Im 17..18 in a few months. Im thinking of holding back till I turn 18 to break the news :P

Im not sure though...
    My brother used to smoke and I think they we're ok with it but I don't know how they reacted when he told them first...
    Its a confusing situation which I still haven't made my mind up on yet :P

The worst thing is I know I won't quit... So its not like I could just quit if they tell me to, or quit instead of telling them...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

yeah? wrote: »

The worst thing is I know I won't quit... So its not like I could just quit if they tell me to, or quit instead of telling them...

I was away from home when I first started smoking. My dad was in town for lunch (he's less anti-smoking than my mother), so met him for lunch (pre smoking ban days), said "BTW, I wasn't going to tell ye, but I feel I should - I smoke now. Do you mind if I have one?".

He wasn't thrilled, but didn't shoot me or anything.

As an ancient person I would have to say the normal thing of "I wish I had never started, or that I had quit years ago." You don't have to answer here, but think about why you know you won't quit? You seem to be firmly convinced of this, so have a conversation with yourself as to why not quit? Go through the pros and cons. What benefit does smoking bring you? Is this a temporary benefit? Is it's something that's good for this month, this year?

Is there something that you'd like to save up for? How much faster could you buy it if you weren't smoking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 red2

Its driving me insane, I have to tell them soon, but I don't want to dissapoint. I don't want to quit...

How should I go about telling them?

What they dont know won't bother them, unless you really need to tell them.
    If they were ok with your brother smoking they should nt be any different with you. They may not be happy with you smoking but Im sure they will be happier to know that its cigs you are smoking other than anything else. Where I live 15 and 16 year olds are smoking more than the ordinary packet of fags.
    For your own health try and quit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Jut quit now,,,,it'll harder the longer you leave it, smoking isnt a part of you like being gay and having to tell your parents, its such a bad health habit that you will regret it for the rest of your life if ya dont give up now. Why do you want to tell your parents? Do you want to smoke in the house?

Ive tried to quit before... Ive been smoking about 3 years now.. I know Im addicted and they're helping me through 6th yr lol!
    I just know I won't quit 1:because I don't want to and 2:because I have tried and failed...

Its not that I want to smoke in the house, I just want to be able to go out side and not panic about them seeing me smoke, or not worry about them smelling it whem Im stuck in the car with them . . . stuff like that.
    Besides, This is probably one of the only things Ive ever lied to them about...

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Ive tried to quit before... Ive been smoking about 3 years now.. I know Im addicted and they're helping me through 6th yr lol!
    I just know I won't quit 1:because I don't want to and 2:because I have tried and failed...

Its not that I want to smoke in the house, I just want to be able to go out side and not panic about them seeing me smoke, or not worry about them smelling it whem Im stuck in the car with them . . . stuff like that.
    Besides, This is probably one of the only things Ive ever lied to them about...
    You are only smoking a few years. You can give up. Im smoking since I was 14,and Im 48 now with a chronic cough and probably a lung disease. Its a disgusting dirty expensive habit! As far as I know my 3 dont smoke because I turned them off. Not because I nagged them,but cos they smell my clothes and hear me cough all the time! Give UP NOW for your own sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gaillimh1990

what happened in the end???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

Tell them you've been smoking since you were in senior infants - then when you tell them you were only joking they'll be so relieved that your real news will seem like small stuff.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

1: make it out to be something much worse, get them all worked up and worried and then theyll be sooooo relieved that youre just smoking.... example.... at 17 i got busted for speeding...i sha* myself cos i knew my mam would kill me... i moped about and acted all depressed for a few days and didnt really eat and stuff, then i went all weird and gave em the notion that i was pregnant... she couldnt have been more delighted that i was only after gettin caught going 40kph over the limit on a provisional licence with no fld with me, getting points and a fine and all the rest, she laughed and gave me a hug :)

2: go out for a fag after dinner

3: just drop it into conversation and tell them that they already knew...."well i was out for a fag with karen and..." "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???!" "what do you mean what? i went out for a fag" "you???smokinggggg!?!?!" "uhhh, yeah mam, dont be a bogey, you know i smoke" and so on and so forth....

4: "i smoke. get over it."

5: plant fags in your mam/dads jacket..."find" them... cause a scene "oh my god, youre so sick! i cant believe you smoke!! what kind of an example is that for me???!!!" then proceed to smoke them one by one...your parents will prob freak out...keep smoking....then say " well, now im addicted...thanks guys"

oh i have so many more wonderful suggestions for you,,,your parents would love me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I told my parents by mistake. I used to rob my older brother smokes when I was younger. One day I robbed to many and he noticed. I wasnt a good thief when I was 8 :(.

Smoking isnt the end of the world. Either is telling your parents. You dont have to go all business wise telling them. Just tell them ya smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

so, OP, did you tell them??

Advertisement