Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives for sealing around a bath .. PLEASE

Options
  • 13-09-2008 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Am 're doing' the bath room ... It is a period house & we are trying to retain as much character as possible. Re tiling around the bath ... the tiler has put in a plastic strip thing which he insists is the best way to seal the area. I think it looks awful as we are using Victorian style tiles ... the ones which will be near the strip are a sort of 'off white' colour & I fear it will look tacky althought the bath is white.
    Also don't like Silicone! It can get very grubby ... Are there any alternatives solutions we could use? ... any ideas would be really appreciated ... Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Theres stuff called classi seal ,it sticks to the inner edge of the bath that meets the wall. It has an upstand of about 40mm that is completely water tight.
    You basically stick the tiles over it and thats it.

http://www.classic-marble.com/classi-seal.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Sealux is another product that can be used- but it is plastic and will be visible. To be honest I think you've got to let "function " rule over "form" on this one- I'd much rather a waterproof seal than something which looked great aesthetically but leaked like a sieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

311 wrote: »
    Theres stuff called classi seal ,it sticks to the inner edge of the bath that meets the wall. It has an upstand of about 40mm that is completely water tight.
    You basically stick the tiles over it and thats it.

http://www.classic-marble.com/classi-seal.php

like i said

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

As 311 sais the only man for this job is classi seal, its never let me down yet and is easy to apply. However if the bath is already fitted then you may have to use a type of tanking which encroaches onto the lip of the bath. This can then be covered by tile and a very small silicone bead. This would have to be there anyway as grout which is rigid would not move with bath and crack and fall out. The bath seal would indeed look out of place with the effect you are trying to get. Good luck with the job

Regards
    Builditwell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Have to Agree with 311.
    The only watertight option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭richie_os

hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you've got the room and the money you could put in a roll-top bath and keep it away from the walls, no need for a sealant then.

Advertisement