Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick kitten - advice?

Options
  • 13-09-2008 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

one of my kittens is quite sick today. Unfortunately my vet closed at 4pm today and doesn't open again till 10am tomorrow. I'll bring her (and her sisters) down to the vet first thing in the morning but in the meantime can anyone offer any advice?

Kitten is 6weeks old and has been full of life all week. Last night she was a bit quieter than usual but didnt think much of it. This morning she didn't eat or drink anything but I assumed she had just filled up on dry biscuits overnight. However she's since refused lunch and dinner, and has vomited 3 times in the last couple of hours - the vomit is yellow water, think thats cos she has nothing but bile to throw up. Just to try get her eat something I got her cooked chicken but she wont touch that either (usually there's mayhem if they smell chicken!). She's slept nearly all day, and the other 2 have slept a lot too.

Any advice on what I can do till the morning? Is there anyway to make an unwilling kitten drink??? Am very worried she's getting dehydrated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I've sent you a pm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

Thanks, I've got the kitten to take a little water, made an improvised dropper using a straw. Will try again later too. Isn't easy to get her to open her mouth, she's a stubborn little kitty!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Really, really important that you get her to a vet tonight. Kittens cannot survive long with anything that might cause these symptoms.

Be very careful trying to hydrate any animal like this, it is so easy to make things worse by causing aspiration pneumonia in these circumstances. Kittens that need hydration really should be in the vets getting subcutaneous fluids and antibiotics.

Can you get them to UCD?

unfortunately it's not possible to get her to UCD tonight.

Have been careful with the water, was aware she might breathe it in and cause other problems. She's only had a little but it's more that I drop it on the side of her mouth and she licks her lips - it's a slow process.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow, we'll be at the vet soon as they open.

Sad to say our littlest kitty lost her fight today.

Can only hope our other 2 babies pull through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

mydarkstar wrote: »
    Sad to say our littlest kitty lost her fight today.

Can only hope our other 2 babies pull through.

Sorry to hear about the kitten but with young animals always best to get them seen to sooner radder than later.

How are the other two doing today ??

The other 2 are a lot better, I'm happy to say. One is great, he's playing and he's happy so hopefully he stays that way. The other kitten is improving a little. The kitty that didnt make it was very skinny and the anti-vomiting injections she had didnt stop her from being sick. Was tough to see her fading away but we were at the vet early this morning and there was nothing else could be done. She was such a beauty too.

So sorry you had to go through that but at leased she died in loving arms.

Hope the other two keep getting better.

Did the vet say what it was ?

it was dehydration from being sick so often. We were hand-feeding her food & liquids every 2hours like the vet instructed on Sunday morning but it did no good as she kept throwing it back up. Don't know what was the cause of the sickness, vet just said that sometimes they're immune systems might not be the best.

Am praying the other 2 pull through, when they get quiet & sleepy they scare me that they might be sickening again.

mydarkstar wrote: »
    it was dehydration from being sick so often. We were hand-feeding her food & liquids every 2hours like the vet instructed on Sunday morning but it did no good as she kept throwing it back up. Don't know what was the cause of the sickness, vet just said that sometimes they're immune systems might not be the best.

Am praying the other 2 pull through, when they get quiet & sleepy they scare me that they might be sickening again.

How old are they are you hand rearing them ?

• Advertisement

They are 6 week old foster kittens and they were weaned when we got them. The vet advised syringe-feeding them a special food just so we knew how much each one was eating and drinking.

Advertisement