Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheels Wheels Wheels

Options
  • 13-09-2008 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

SO I am thinking of getting some nice new fresh alloys for the car. My question is I currently have 15' wheels, what size can I go up to , as in can I put 18' wheels on. By increasing wheels size what does it add to the car, performance wise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well what car is it? Are the current 15" an approved size for the car?

In relation to performance, you should keep the same rolling radius ideally i.e. bigger rim with lower profile tyre. This will ensure the speedo stays accurate and you wont be putting extra forces through transmission etc. Allloys are supposed to be much lighter than steel wheels and a theoretical advantage would be had from this but depending on what you are driving, you wont notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

You can go bigger alright but an 18" wheel and tyre is going to weigh a fair bit more then the 15's on the car unless you go for an expensive wheel such as bbs/oz superleggera.
    Replica wheels are very heavy which will dull performance and if it's a 1.4 golf don't do it, big heavy wheels will kill your gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

15' are approved yes, and its an 05 seat ibiza.

Mr. X wrote: »

Be careful, VW gearboxes are crap and fitting 18" wheels will put a lot more strain on the transmission.

Neilw wrote: »
    Be careful, VW gearboxes are crap and fitting 18" wheels will put a lot more strain on the transmission.
    Ok cool I get ya, so wud it be best sticking with the 15 inches

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭brundle

I personally wouldnt go over 16" on that car

Ok cool I get ya, so wud it be best sticking with the 15 inches

Yes I'd say so, keep a look out for a set of wheels from a higher spec model, maybe a cupra or FR spec, these wheels may look better then whats fitted.

Kool, cheers for the good advice ppl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

Cruijff wrote: »
    Evening all,

SO I am thinking of getting some nice new fresh alloys for the car. My question is I currently have 15' wheels, what size can I go up to , as in can I put 18' wheels on. By increasing wheels size what does it add to the car, performance wise.

Same story ,. i have 03 diesel a4.......Currently looking at 16 inch alloys on ebay.
    i have 15 inch at the moment. Just wondering what effect this would have on the car and would the spare wheel still be ok or would i need
    a new one.
    any thoughts welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

my brother recently fitted 17 inch wheels to his avensis which had 15s, they are official toyota wheels and come as standard on higher spec avensis. The tyres have a rolling radius 15% larger than his old ones. Its hardly bad for the transmission, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

audismelly wrote: »
    Same story ,. i have 03 diesel a4.......Currently looking at 16 inch alloys on ebay.
    i have 15 inch at the moment. Just wondering what effect this would have on the car and would the spare wheel still be ok or would i need
    a new one.
    any thoughts welcome

18's will fit no bother on an A4. Make sure they are the right fitment before you order. The spare wheel will be a smaller sized wheel, it's possible to drive on but obviously would have it's effects.

18's will fit no bother on an A4. Make sure they are the right fitment before you order. The spare wheel will be a smaller sized wheel, it's possible to drive on but obviously would have it's effects.

The right fitment as in locking nut?
    Cheers thanks.

The right fitment as in locking nut?
    Cheers thanks.

No, lol. The offset of the wheel. What wheels are you thinking of buying. All wheels don't fit every car.

No, lol. The offset of the wheel. What wheels are you thinking of buying. All wheels don't fit every car.

sorry yeah i did see pictures of them, on a4/avants and passats.looked well ,5 spoke similiar to the highline passat alloys.

sorry yeah i did see pictures of them, on a4/avants and passats.looked well ,5 spoke similiar to the highline passat alloys.

As long as they are they same fitment your grand. Wheels can be gotten in different fitments. Just be sure to be sure they are the correct size for yours.

As long as they are they same fitment your grand. Wheels can be gotten in different fitments. Just be sure to be sure they are the correct size for yours.

grand cheers il check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Many cars have the tyre sizes listed in the manual, not only the standard ones but sporty ones as well.

Advertisement