Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regretting Choosing Accounting

Options
  • 13-09-2008 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

I have a terrible teacher and know I'll do rubbish in the LC. I tried grinds, but they were useless. The subject just doesn't suit me. I want to give it up and just do 6 for the leaving but everyone is telling me its unwise. Also that is very limiting just in case some subject goes wrong. Is there any subject that can be taken up and done for one year (relatively easily)? I was thinking economics but I've been told there's a lot to the course. All help will be appreciated as long as it's not recommending pass accounting or applied maths. I need 7 manageable subjects...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

What are your six subjects? How good are you at them? It'll just be easier to reccommend a 7th subject with more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Mazletov

What are your six subjects? How good are you at them? It'll just be easier to reccommend a 7th subject with more info.

My subjects are maths, irish, english, french, physics and chemistry. The languages are going ok, the others are manageable but do need more study and then there's accounting which regardless of how much study i do always seems to end up going horribly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Mazletov wrote: »
    My subjects are maths, irish, english, french, physics and chemistry. The languages are going ok, the others are manageable but do need more study and then there's accounting which regardless of how much study i do always seems to end up going horribly wrong.

Youre doing Physics and Chemistry. Do you have an interest in science?
    The easiest subject I can think of to take up in a year would be Biology. Doesnt require any mathematical ability or logical thinking. Just plain rote learning.

If you were to learn all the experiments, know unit one and two well, and then know a few topics from section three that are bound to come up this year you could possibly get away with a B.

Youre doing Physics and Chemistry. Do you have an interest in science?
    The easiest subject I can think of to take up in a year would be Biology. Doesnt require any mathematical ability or logical thinking. Just plain rote learning.

If you were to learn all the experiments, know unit one and two well, and then know a few topics from section three that are bound to come up this year you could possibly get away with a B.

Its not really that I'm interested in science...its just the set up in our school gave me little choice. I always heard there's a lot of learning, diagrams and experiments in biology as well as a vast course. But i can't afford to rule it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

You could try something along the lines of home economics.

Or just regualr economics.

Also, it is possible to do classical studies in a year.

• Advertisement

You could try something along the lines of home economics.

Or just regualr economics.

Also, it is possible to do classical studies in a year.

Is it? I did classical studies for the junior cert... Didn't really think about it for leaving...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Mazletov wrote: »
    Its not really that I'm interested in science...its just the set up in our school gave me little choice. I always heard there's a lot of learning, diagrams and experiments in biology as well as a vast course. But i can't afford to rule it out...

Youre right, the whole course is quite long but it can be cut down quite considerably. The exam is split into three sections.

Section A is the short questions, 6 questions overall, 2 q's from unit 1, 2 from unit 2, and 2 from unit three of which you must answer five. So even if you only know unit 1 and 2 (half of the course) you can still answer four of the five questions there.

Section B is the experiments, 3 questions of which you must answer two, one from each unit. Again, if you only know unit one and two you can get full marks there.

Section C is the long questions, 5 questions of which you must answer four, Im not sure how this section is broken down but last year there was one full question from unit one and one full question from unit two.

Plus there is a small overlap between the biology and chemistry course.
    There is a lot of learning diagrams and defenitions but nothing too hard.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭TheDonMan

If you're good at Maths I would recommend Applied Maths. The course is really small and you don't even have to cover all of it because the same topics come up everytime and you only have to do 6/10 of those topics on the exam. It would be easy enough to teach it to yourself as well - which is what a lot of people do.

I feel for you though, I had a fabulous Business teacher for Junior Cert and thus I took Accounting for LC. Now she is away on maternity leave and I have this rubbish one who obviously just got out of College and doesn't have a clue what she is doing. I swear to God if she didn't have the solutions book she wouldn't know how to do any of the questions herself never mind teach us how to do it.

TheDonMan wrote: »
    If you're good at Maths I would recommend Applied Maths. The course is really small and you don't even have to cover all of it because the same topics come up everytime and you only have to do 6/10 of those topics on the exam. It would be easy enough to teach it to yourself as well - which is what a lot of people do.

I feel for you though, I had a fabulous Business teacher for Junior Cert and thus I took Accounting for LC. Now she is away on maternity leave and I have this rubbish one who obviously just got out of College and doesn't have a clue what she is doing. I swear to God if she didn't have the solutions book she wouldn't know how to do any of the questions herself never mind teach us how to do it.

The teacher I have tries to cover up the fact that he copies the accounts out of the solutions book. He's terrible, and accounting is not a subject you can afford to have a bad teacher in.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

I'd say try & find grinds for Accounting if possible, rather than wasting the year you have put into it even if you don't think you've gotten much out of it. It isn't a difficult subject if you get a basic grasp of the double entry system and you find that for a lot of questions it's basically the same thing with a different layout or types of income/expense (e.g. Service Firm & Club A/C are very similar) and if you had a decent grinds teacher giving you a hand once a week or so I think you might find it okay. I had a disastrous teacher also but luckily I had a good grasp of it in JC & she was able to teach us the basics before getting out of her depth.

Also the Rapid Revision Accounting book is really good, it's full of examples that are based exactly on exam questions. Most textbooks are a bit annoying sometimes because they sometimes veer off the usual way things are put in exam questions.

I know a lot of people are suggesting subjects but it's no joke trying to teach yourself a subject and it causes a lot of stress, I know that for the last half of sixth year I was really worried having to teach myself Accounting as I couldn't find grinds and I had been counting on the subject for a good grade. Sixth year is stressful enough already without putting extra work on yourself so unless you're really desperate I would say don't go trying to cover another subject and find grinds or someone who could help you with the Accounting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mygsy

Ok this is probably once in a blue moon scenario but my friend picked up Ag science one wk b4 the exam and passed!!
    She was depending on aA for hist but knew after the exam she wouldn have it and prob wouldnt get her points so she did Ag science, believe it or not she got the highest in the class 4 the written paper but having not done the continuous assesment(25%) brought her down but she still wouldnt have got the points she wanted without it so just proves if you determined enough ya can do it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Stick with Accounting.

I'm repeating....We had a bad teacher and I scraped a D2. I kept putting off studying it because I found it hard. I did the majority of study in the days coming up to the exam. It really is all repetition. I'll be looking for a C1 at least this year.

Remember
    Manufacturing Accounts WILL come up this year.
    Question 4 will be there as usual.
    And Flexible Budgeting will come up and that is SIMPLE!

Just keep doing the exam papers, especially the above questions. The solutions are available on examinations.ie too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

blue-army wrote: »
    Remember
    Manufacturing Accounts WILL come up this year.
    Question 4 will be there as usual.
    And Flexible Budgeting will come up and that is SIMPLE!

:eek:Nooooooooo! Don't, whatever you do, depend on predicting the layout! If last year's paper taught leaving certs anything, it's that you can't predict accounting safely. They may not want to rock the boat as much this year, but they might just skip manufacturing altogether and have a while of alternating sole trader and company. You just never know. Don't want to be the prophet of doom here, but seriously don't be definite on what's coming up.

Also, Q5 (I assume you meant 5 not 4) is always there but it's a hard one to get high marks in because there's always something more to say so it's practically impossible to get entirely right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lcaccounting

I feel you would be crazy to give up accounting. Stick with it. Get grinds and buy an extra revision book and consider using examsupport.ie if you are struggling with a particular area.

Advertisement