Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a static shock off a Allen & Heath XZone 62

Options
  • 13-09-2008 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Im using an X Zone 62 mixer at the minute and getting a static tingle off it if i touch it. What could it be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Im using an X Zone 62 mixer at the minute and getting a static tingle off it if i touch it. What could it be?

Dangerous ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

If it's happening repeatedly and continuously then I'd guess it's not static. Sounds like something is shorting and that the desk isn't earthed so when you touch it you provide the path of least resistance........ddddzzzz. :P

Have a look inside for worn cabling or any other source for the short.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Make sure it's earthed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

frobisher wrote: »
    If it's happening repeatedly and continuously then I'd guess it's not static. Sounds like something is shorting and that the desk isn't earthed so when you touch it you provide the path of least resistance........ddddzzzz. :P

Have a look inside for worn cabling or any other source for the short.
    Im at a venue now, cant mess with it, ill send it off during the week to get it checked out. cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Im at a venue now, cant mess with it, ill send it off during the week to get it checked out. cheers,

Be careful dude. People get serious shocks in this business all the time. Not fun and sometimes fatal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

That's not static!!
    There's a funny earth there somewhere so the chassis is live. I think I heard somewhere that Allen and Heaths are buggers for it. Check the ribbon connections in the desk and make sure they are all secure, also check if the chassis is live when the every thing is unplugged, it could also be a piece of gear on stage with a leaky earth so the current is coming back along the ground on your cables. Even from your amps which could be dangerous. Get on the phone and get another in fast...

A phase tester will tell you if the chassis is live or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

studiorat wrote: »
    That's not static!!
    There's a funny earth there somewhere so the chassis is live. I think I heard somewhere that Allen and Heaths are buggers for it. Check the ribbon connections in the desk and make sure they are all secure, also check if the chassis is live when the every thing is unplugged, it could also be a piece of gear on stage with a leaky earth so the current is coming back along the ground on your cables. Even from your amps which could be dangerous. Get on the phone and get another in fast...

A phase tester will tell you if the chassis is live or not...

Find a new plug in the wall and see does it continue, it could easily be the plug socket being damaged, you may have tried it already, just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

dodgy dodgy business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Don't use the desk again until it has been serviced - please. I've seen a piece of faulty audio equipment give one person a tickle, and bounce somebody else off a wall seconds later. Current is odd that way, dont risk a fatality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you the guy with the post on here a while ago that had a few of us telling you to consult a qualified electrician? This latest issue is hardly surprising tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Savman wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you the guy with the post on here a while ago that had a few of us telling you to consult a qualified electrician? This latest issue is hardly surprising tbh.
    Still alive, :)

All the equipment I use have 13amp moulded plugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Still alive, All the equipment I use have 13amp moulded plugs.

Hardy man! That's just short of 3kW of power before the fuse goes!

wilecoyoteroadrunner.jpg

Advertisement