Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone please explain this accounting

Options
  • 13-09-2008 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

It says in my book for credit transactions with expenses and gains to

Expenses
    Debit to record an increase in the value of an expense. (If the debit side is money coming in then why would I debit an increase in the expense)

Credit to record a reduction in the value of an expense. (If the credit side is money going out then why would I credit a reduction. Isn't a reduction on expenses a good thing and should I not debit it?)

Gains
    Debit to record a reduction in the value of a gain. ( If i was receiving rent then why would I debit a reduction in the rent I receive)

Credit to record an increase in the value of a gain. ( Why would I credit an increase in what I am gaining?)

Please could someone explain my questions that are in the brackets.................. I'm totally lost!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

I'll give it a go...

1. Debit Expenses a/c to increase expenses because of the double entry system. You generally pay expenses to creditors. If your expense goes up, credit side of creditors goes up. So you credit creditor's a/c and debit expenses a/c.

2. Reduction in expenses - reduces the amount you owe a creditor, so you debit creditor's a/c and credit expenses a/c to complete double entry.

3. Reduction in gain - reduces the amount a debtor owes you. So that'll go on the credit side of the debtor's a/c and debit side of gains a/c (eg rent) for double entry.

4. Same principle of double entry. You're owed more rent, so debtor's a/c goes up so it's debited, so your rent a/c is credited.

Hope this helps a bit!

Advertisement