Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spore: Most Pirated Game Ever Thanks to DRM

Options
  • 13-09-2008 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Spore was without doubt the most anticipated game of the year. The game itself has blown away the people who have played it, but the DRM encouraged thousands to get their copy illegally. Already Spore has been downloaded more than 500,000 times on BitTorrent, and this number is increasing rapidly.

As a comparison, Crysis, one of the best-selling PC games of this year has only been downloaded 420,000 times since it was released in November 2007.

Full story

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭RabidDog

I purchased Spore (Galactic Edition) from GAME on the day of release.

I installed it on one of the computers in work, tried to run it and got a message about not being able to validate the registration key at this time. So I figured it was the computer and tried another, still the same issue.

When I got home later that evening I installed it on my own PC and tried to run it:

sporedrm.jpg

I cannot express how angry I am over this. I had access to a torrented copy and decided to support the publisher/developer instead.

Now I have to use the cracked exe from a torrent to play.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Online activation is one way to piss of people who baught the product only, as it stands spores "wonderful" copy protection couldn't protect it being hacked prior to release!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ahaha. This is what I've been saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It might also have something to do with its less than stellar reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

RabidDog wrote: »
    I purchased Spore (Galactic Edition) from GAME on the day of release.

I installed it on one of the computers in work, tried to run it and got a message about not being able to validate the registration key at this time. So I figured it was the computer and tried another, still the same issue.

When I got home later that evening I installed it on my own PC and tried to run it:

*snip*

I cannot express how angry I am over this. I had access to a torrented copy and decided to support the publisher/developer instead.

Now I have to use the cracked exe from a torrent to play.

So it didn't occur to you that the online validation service would be non responsive on the day of release? And more to the point your solution was to keep installing it again and again on different machines?

Also, contact EA, they can free up your registrations for you so you don't have to be a filthy pirate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

So it didn't occur to you that the online validation service would be non responsive on the day of release? .

If you can't keep your validation server online , don't have online validation...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Also, contact EA, they can free up your registrations for you so you don't have to be a filthy pirate.

He hasn't pirated it, he bought it and cracked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

My err... copy of... errr Spore... errrr

Well I installed it and errrr.... copied a file into the Spore bin directory and whilst I mightn't be able to go online means Spore runs pretty well.

On the downside I'm not really impressed. It's not really what I expected but then maybe that's the problem. I think that trailer that everyone watched from last year got their little minds working and the end result was hype that couldn't be lived up to.

Dunno what I think but mainly that I could be spending my time better by playing other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭RabidDog

So it didn't occur to you that the online validation service would be non responsive on the day of release? And more to the point your solution was to keep installing it again and again on different machines?

I don't appreciate being called a pirate. I legally purchased this game. And I certainly don't appreciate your insinuation that I am an idiot.

And for your information the game stated that the registration key could not be validated. What I did not realise is that they obviously log attempts and consider them to be activations.

There was no information about the DRM included with the game (not that I have found), even the read-me says nothing about it. All it states is that an internet connection is required to play. I didn't know it was limited to three activations. I can't even gain back activations by un-installing it on those other pcs.

The fact is I paid for this game, yet it is I and not the pirates that who is suffering. I shouldn't have to go back to EA and beg for one more activation.

And even if I did what happens in a few months/years when I want to reinstall???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

RabidDog wrote: »
    The fact is I paid for this game, yet it is I and not the pirates that who is suffering. I shouldn't have to go back to EA and beg for one more activation.

This is exactly my problem with drm. This guy has legally purchased this game and he's getting royally screwed over. This is a completely shítey way to treat a paying customer. Even if this drm had made it impossible to pirate the game then I'd still think it shouldn't be implemented because of situations like this were it affects a customer in such a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

jhegarty wrote: »
    If you can't keep your validation server online , don't have online validation...

+1

I bought the galactic edition of the game and installed it on my PC fine. I decided it'd be cool to have on my Mac (note, this is two machines owned by me, I'm not lending the game to anyone or anything) to kill boredom in work. It installed fine, registered fine and now refuses to start up at any point, apparently something to do with the way the games DRM works on Macs... which is rather annoying. What if I didn't have a PC to play on?

The more we hear of DRM and piracy, the more I'm reminded of Valve. They do it much better. Online authentication attached to a specific service that allows you to have your game in an "online locker". It avoids piracy and keeps people like me happy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I "got" Spore and i have to say its pretty damn awful in terms of gameplay experiences i really only liked the cell stage and sure that would be made by someone into a flash game pretty easily. Creature stage is again okay but extremely repetitive. Tribe stage is the worst stage just completely does my head in. Civ stage is way to easy once you get access to Flying Units you'll win no matter what. Iv only started playing the space stage and its okay but im not far enough in it to make a decision.

Graphics aswell are goddamn awful renders look awful WoW looks better then it which is saying something.

I couldnt imagine paying 50 quid or so for this game which can be finished in less then a day hell you dont even need to complete a stage to unlock the next one you just gotta play it and the next stage will just unlock!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Why do people care so much about graphics these days ? Graphics don't make a game, gameplay, storyline and replayability does. Yeah the graphics are not "OMGZ !!1 LOOK AT THOSE LIFE LIKE TREES !!" but I still thought the visuals suited the type of game it was.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Why do people care so much about graphics these days ? Graphics don't make a game, gameplay, storyline and replayability does. Yeah the graphics are not "OMGZ !!1 LOOK AT THOSE LIFE LIKE TREES !!" but I still thought the visuals suited the type of game it was.

Some people view anything other than the standard art style of todays games, that is, the mad persuit of realistic graphics (which seems to mean lots of browns and greys) and the overuse of bloom, to be terrible.

I can only assume they lost the gift of sight at an early age or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

To be honest, all Spore managed to make me do was reinstall Civ 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Spore was without doubt the most anticipated game of the year. The game itself has blown away the people who have played it, but the DRM encouraged thousands to get their copy illegally. Already Spore has been downloaded more than 500,000 times on BitTorrent, and this number is increasing rapidly.

As a comparison, Crysis, one of the best-selling PC games of this year has only been downloaded 420,000 times since it was released in November 2007.

I object to this statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

+1 death to DRM. Power to the consumer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

well I would say plenty of fence sitters might have just piratced rather than risk their computers. Also, the negative reviews on Amazon were also critical of the severely dumbed down gameplay.

Strip away the graphics and you can play this game on a mobile phone version. It is limited and quite rudimentary.

Oh right, you can get it on your mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Pete4779 wrote: »
    well I would say plenty of fence sitters might have just piratced rather than risk their computers. Also, the negative reviews on Amazon were also critical of the severely dumbed down gameplay.

Strip away the graphics and you can play this game on a mobile phone version. It is limited and quite rudimentary.

Oh right, you can get it on your mobile phone.

Yeah, I've decided this too. It's not deep enough in terms of gameplay to hold the interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Kernel wrote: »
    Yeah, I've decided this too. It's not deep enough in terms of gameplay to hold the interest.

You decided the gameplay wasn't interesting enough to buy the game, yet it's still interesting enough for you to pirate it and play it?

Piracy is one thing, but pirating software that developers have spent years pouring their lives into and trying to claim the moral highground whilst doing so is pretty hypocritical.

It's hard to take the boycott of a product seriously when people only boycott the bit where they pay for the product, but they still acquire and use it - it hardly shows strength of convictions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Although that said, anyone who's pirating Spore is robbing themselves of the single most important part of the game, which is the online component, populating your friend's worlds with your creatures and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'm downloading it now, I'm not going to play it cause it's sh1te but I just want to be added to the list of people forced to download due to drm, also it's good to be part of a world record lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

steviec wrote: »
    You decided the gameplay wasn't interesting enough to buy the game, yet it's still interesting enough for you to pirate it and play it?

Piracy is one thing, but pirating software that developers have spent years pouring their lives into and trying to claim the moral highground whilst doing so is pretty hypocritical.

It's hard to take the boycott of a product seriously when people only boycott the bit where they pay for the product, but they still acquire and use it - it hardly shows strength of convictions.

Sure how does anyone if they game play will be in anyway interesting without playing it? Videos can be VERY deceiving and there's no demo to get a feel for it. Most people dont want to spend 60 quid on a game that they then find out has no depth.

But as you said they are missing out on the online part so say if i pirated and enjoyed it then id go and buy it to gain access to the online part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

steviec wrote: »
    Although that said, anyone who's pirating Spore is robbing themselves of the single most important part of the game, which is the online component, populating your friend's worlds with your creatures and vice versa.
    There's already unofficial packs with thousands of creations taken from the official download service.

MooseJam wrote: »
    I'm downloading it now, I'm not going to play it cause it's sh1te but I just want to be added to the list of people forced to download due to drm, also it's good to be part of a world record lol

You realise that by doing so you're strengthening the case for companies to invest in stricter DRM, right?
    Stev_o wrote:
    Sure how does anyone if they game play will be in anyway interesting without playing it? Videos can be VERY deceiving and there's no demo to get a feel for it. Most people dont want to spend 60 quid on a game that they then find out has no depth.

Wow, if *only* there were some way to find out what other people thought of the product before you purchased it, some kind of published periodical on the subject. Or maybe even a website that did that....
    Or maybe some kind of place online where people can discuss games that have been recently released and how they feel about them.

Pity none of those exist, because if they did, boy would your argument look stupid......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You realise that by doing so you're strengthening the case for companies to invest in stricter DRM, right?
    No it isn't, if games with less or even no DRM sell fine even after being cracked then you're sending a message that you aren't willing to buy games with this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Although I got a downloaded copy of the game I would like to state that I've never ever had my computer die or a game legitimately bought fail to run because of DRM.

Using DRM as an excuse to download is pretty rubbish. Look, I obtained a downloaded copy because ultimately I didn't have to pay for it. I will, if I really like a game go and buy a legitimate copy but anyone who tries to invent other reasons for downloading a game is just talking out their arse and it's a bit embarrassing when you see people trying to justify it.

Personally I don't download games anymore tho. I got a cease and desist for downloading GoW which was a bit annoying cos it lasted all of 30 mins on my harddrive before I uninstalled and deleted it cos it was ****. Still doesn't stop me getting copies from mates :P

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think this is an exception. There is a large, genuine element of protest as regards people downloading Spore. Far more so than usual. People are pissed off. A lot of Europeans illegally downloaded Assassin's Creed on the PC also in protest at not being able to purchase it online anywhere other than N. America. What other method of protest do consumers have? Pirating (as much as I disagree with it) is probably the most effective. It certainly will get attention.

The crazy thing is that the DRM with spore achieves nothing. The game was cracked before it was released. Pirates get a getter product. This deserves to be protested about.

I have no problem with DRM per se, as long as its fair. Whatever system Steam uses seems to me to be unobtrusive and transparent. My games on Steam are there whenever I want them.

Wow, if *only* there were some way to find out what other people thought of the product before you purchased it, some kind of published periodical on the subject. Or maybe even a website that did that....
    Or maybe some kind of place online where people can discuss games that have been recently released and how they feel about them.

Pity none of those exist, because if they did, boy would your argument look stupid......

I agree with you here, the "tryout" excuse is complete rubbish.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    No it isn't, if games with less or even no DRM sell fine even after being cracked then you're sending a message that you aren't willing to buy games with this system.

What? That's the stupidest thing i've ever seen.

If you were actually trying to send the message that you aren't willing to buy the game with DRM then you wouldn't buy it AND you wouldn't torrent it. Anything else is just hypocrisy.

Torrenting it shows that there is a demand there, that you *would* purchase it if the pirating option didn't exist. Why else would you download it?

So, looking at their sales and then all the torrents of the game all EA at al are going to see is thousands of potential customers that they could have if their DRM was better.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Although I got a downloaded copy of the game I would like to state that I've never ever had my computer die or a game legitimately bought fail to run because of DRM.

I have had problems before. Various things you can have running on your system can cause games not to run. Like virtual drives and stuff. Also, I had real problems with Starforce in the past. Nothing that blew up my computer of course but plenty of frustration.

I can see the 3 install limit causing problems for people here though. One install on your home PC, another on your laptop. You upgrade your PC, re-install and that's it you're done. You can't decide in a year or two to re-install the game on that new PC you since bought to try out a Mod somebody told you about.

Would you buy music online if you were told you could only play it a certain amount of times or put it on only 3 media players before you would have to buy it again? I didn't think so!

The install limit is a bad idea, it doesn't work and companies need to be told that its customers are pissed off. EA are already paying the price for ignoring their customers in this instance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement