Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracted to o2 until next year but want to move..

Options
  • 13-09-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Im on the older active life plan with o2 at the moment but a friend has just started working in Vodafone and has worked out for me that they'll be way cheaper for the kind of usage I have.

Im on a 50 a month price plan at the moment. Whats the cheapest way I can get out of the contract with o2 and port my number to Vodafone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You will have to pay the remaining months left times your monthly rental.
    You can only change to a lower plan after 6 months.

So for example if you signed up 2 months ago and your monthly plan is €50 then you will have to pay 4 more months at €50 and then 6 months at their lowest tarriff.

So you'll pay (€50*4) + (€15*6) = €290*

*Ring customer care on 1909 and they can give you 100% definite contract cancellation figures if you're unsure on the above.

Think long and hard before paying this and jumping ship.. unless you're saving more than €290 by switching to Vodafone you're probably better off to stay where you are to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Random wrote: »
    You will have to pay the remaining months left times your monthly rental.
    You can only change to a lower plan after 6 months.

So for example if you signed up 2 months ago and your monthly plan is €50 then you will have to pay 4 more months at €50 and then 6 months at their lowest tarriff.

So you'll pay (€50*4) + (€15*6) = €290*

*Ring customer care on 1909 and they can give you 100% definite contract cancellation figures if you're unsure on the above.

Think long and hard before paying this and jumping ship.. unless you're saving more than €290 by switching to Vodafone you're probably better off to stay where you are to be honest.

Ive actually been with them for years, its just that I used a phone upgrade over the summer and it seems to have extended my contract. I should have spotted that.

I should have no problem changing to a lower price plan. Then its a case of jumping to Vodafone and paying the monthly fee on that new lower priceplan for the duration of the contract?

I'd save that €200+ in a few months.. I have very high usage but having analysed the bills, most of my calls are to Vodafone numbers.

If you take your number to Vodafone your O2 contract will cease. You will not be paying anything monthly any more. You will pay one final bill to settle with O2. The quickest option in my experience is ring O2, tell them you want to switch to prepay and ignore any marketing or whatever offers they give you - tell them you do not wish to be transferred to retentions. Ask them how much this will cost to settle your contract now (mention calculating it based on the lowest tariff if they don't) and then switch to prepay (you'll get a SIM in any O2 store).
    The last few times I've done this it has been possible at the counter in an O2 store but to be honest you're probably better off just asking the store for a blank PREPAY SIM and ringing O2 yourself to do it outside.

Then pop into Vodafone with O2 prepay SIM and follow their signup requirements.

This whole process can be complete in about 2 hours. (about 5 mins to switch you from O2 bill to O2 pre and less than 2 hrs to switch from O2 pre to Voda bill - provided it's within porting hours 10-5 is your safest bet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Random wrote: »
    If you take your number to Vodafone your O2 contract will cease. You will not be paying anything monthly any more. You will pay one final bill to settle with O2. The quickest option in my experience is ring O2, tell them you want to switch to prepay and ignore any marketing or whatever offers they give you - tell them you do not wish to be transferred to retentions. Ask them how much this will cost to settle your contract now (mention calculating it based on the lowest tariff if they don't) and then switch to prepay (you'll get a SIM in any O2 store).
    The last few times I've done this it has been possible at the counter in an O2 store but to be honest you're probably better off just asking the store for a blank PREPAY SIM and ringing O2 yourself to do it outside.

Then pop into Vodafone with O2 prepay SIM and follow their signup requirements.

This whole process can be complete in about 2 hours. (about 5 mins to switch you from O2 bill to O2 pre and less than 2 hrs to switch from O2 pre to Voda bill - provided it's within porting hours 10-5 is your safest bet).

How is this quicker than going into the Vodafone shop with your last O2 bill?

penexpers wrote: »
    How is this quicker than going into the Vodafone shop with your last O2 bill?
    It avoids any potential confusion or conflicts. It gives you the knowledge that your O2 account is unrelated to Vodafone. It doesn't confuse Vodafone staff who can make more mistakes with the port over when it's billpay. It avoids a misguided Vodafone sales assistant telling you that you can / can't port if you're in contract etc. I personally find it easier all round.

• Advertisement
Advertisement