Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you wish you were told before giving birth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Roots-Sinead

A couple of things for me....first of all...entinox {that's the gas and air}..when you're using it.....take note!!!

The tube the entinox comes in has a valve on it. When you put it into your mouth and breathe in, leave it there. Breathe out with it in place and there's a little valve at the back of the tube which allows your exhaled breath to exit. Are you still with me......this is important........picture this!

Get in to hospital. Everything going fine. Using my tens machine - no problem. Decided near the time, when I had to start really pushing that maybe I'd have some gas and air after all. So nurse hands me the tube BUT says nothing! So, contraction starts coming I stick tube in mouth and although had already started to inhale through contraction sucked in what little I could of the good stuff! Contraction stopped, took out tube. Chatted some more to birth partner & midwife, next contraction, same thing. After about fifteen minutes thought this is ridiculous...I'm getting nothing from it so they gave me a shot of pethadine.

Now....here's the thing.... Later I was getting a few stitches and the doc handed me the tube and said have a suck of that. I put the tube in my mouth and then doctor asked me to shift down in the bed. I clamped the tube between my teeth and low and behold, breathed out....guess what I discovered......the valve that lets your breath out!!!!!

This bit is important......I was so surprised at discovering the valve that I proceeded to breath in and out like a child going 'wayhay, pity I didn't know about this when I needed it!'. Next thing I was stoned out of my head and passed a comment to the doctor which I can't really repeat but it involved how many years she was in training and here she was sewing up my nether regions!

So....moral of this story......check out how to use the gas and air before you really need it!!!!

Okay the other thing is that I was told this before the time and it really did make a big difference. The natural assumption when it comes to pushing is that you want to shove baby out that particular orifice and so push that direction. But actually you need to push as if pushing it out the rear orifice instead. It lessens the pain, it increases the speed of dilation and it actually helps you and baby. The other way you're contracting the wrong muscles in the tummy and are kind of fighting against yourself instead. It's the rear muscles which ease baby along the birth canal.

So to quote the wonderful woman who gave me my most valuable piece of advice......'push like you're going to have a good s**t'........... :rolleyes: sorry if it's TMI ;)

pixiestix wrote: »
    i am expecting my 3rd baby on the 2nd of october, a little girl after 2 boys, both were natural deliveries, easy enough, not scary, the only things that freaked me out was on my 1st when the mid wife asked if i wanted to see the head (as it emerged from my....lady garden....ehem), i thought she was bonkers, i explained that my head was waaaay up here for a reason, then i also nearly died when she tried to hand my little boy to me all covered in bits of my innards, which got a huge explosion of laughter from all the people in the delivery room when i said "that is gross, he is covered in my giblets!!"

nothing too bad, just an innocent 1st timer :D

Just to clarify on the 'giblet' thing......remember they're not yours they're the sac that baby's been living in.....so no need to get too grossed out :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Can't believe no one mentioned this:

Poo

With all the pushing, as Roots Sinead said, through your bum, its inevitable that if there is anything up there it will come out.

Yes, you will s**t your self on the table. :eek:

Its all soooo lovely.
    Good luck to the first timers!!!

Ah Newifey...don't freak everyone out.....not everyone poops....I didn't. It depends on what you've eaten prior to going in. For most people when their labour starts they're not really hungry but it is important to keep up your energy so things like cereal bars or flapjacks are great - twofold - they're slow release carbs so sustain you over a period of time but also, they bind within the tum so take their time coming out again if you get me :)

If you do though, don't worry, it's part of the process and the midwives will whip anything away pronto. If you know you're going to just ask for a bedpan if you can't get out to the toilet. Strangely, your body pretty much takes care of you during this time, it tends to shut down the need for all the other functions until such time as it's 'convenient' - that said it can happen but not always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

why did I read this thread :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Poo..

Dont worry about the poo. Sure you wont even notice, and the mid wife isnt going to tell you about it either..

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

By the time ye poo lads (if ye do at all!) ye will be so close to babby arriving that you really wont care. My DD was stuck behind my pubic bone and wasnt making that last turn. If they had said to me "listen love theres a maintenance man in the corridor with fine strong arms will we go and let him have a go at pulling her out?" I'd have happily said "No bother" I cared so little at that stage! You wont care if you do poo. And the midwives are so brilliant that they probably wont even let you know. As I keep on saying, ITS ALL VERY DO-ABLE!;) First words today at 6.15 am. Da-da Ba-ba. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Assuming this thread is open for questions - when the baby is born and they hand him/her to you, with all the 'giblets' stuff earlier referred to - does the baby smell?

Also about the whole poo thing, do you get a chance to go have a poo yourself before going off to delivery?

Does the pain stop immediately upon giving birth?

Do the hospital insist you use the lying on your back, feet in stirrups position? Or can you use a different position to give birth?

(mother passed on, no sisters, any friends who have given birth not into talking about the gory details.......)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You can ask for an enema.

I wish someone had told me that with an epidural you cant feel anything from the waist down. Its like you have nothing there. It is so weird.

I wish someone had told me that obstetrics is experimental medicine and the experts can get due dates wrong. I wouldn't have ended up with a failed induction and a c section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Do the hospital insist you use the lying on your back, feet in stirrups position? Or can you use a different position to give birth?

(mother passed on, no sisters, any friends who have given birth not into talking about the gory details.......)

Not sure about the first three but you can be in whatever position you like to have the baby. You can be on all fours if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

Don't worry about pooing on the delivery bed, it doesn't happen to everyone. Personally I went to the toilet a number of times (naturally) before I ended up in the delivery bed and had nothing left by then. ;)

Both times the midwives helped my to sit upright as much as possible so I could down for the delivery.

I attended ante-natal classes here as well as in the UK and each time was told enemas are not necessary and they can actually cause bad stomach cramps, nor is shaving just in case an old midwife suggests it. The itching after shaving is meant to be awful. The last thing you need is to be itching down below while recovering from labour and if you end up with stitches it would be even worse.

As for the baby smelling I cant remember but I've just asked hubby and he said there is a faint smell but it's not a bad or messy type smell. Both of mine were wrapped in a towel as soon as they were born, son 1 was passed to me for a few mins then taken over to be wiped clean, checked, measured and dressed and then handed back to me.

With son 2 as soon as he was born he was wrapped in a towel, brought up to me so I could touch him before he was rushed off to special care for a few hours as he was early. He was fine and was with me after a few hours.

I didn't have an epidural so cannot comment on them.

Assuming this thread is open for questions - when the baby is born and they hand him/her to you, with all the 'giblets' stuff earlier referred to - does the baby smell?

Your baby smells like the most fantastic thing you have ever smelt in all your life... Its weird, all I want to do is hold and look at my babies when I have them... There is usually just a little bit of blood on the baby from passing through you. The baby has been living in amniotic fluid for 9 months which is supposed to smell sweetish (correct me if I am wrong).
    Also about the whole poo thing, do you get a chance to go have a poo yourself before going off to delivery?

Yes, a lot of mothers would experience diahorea on the run up to labour. Honest to god as said before, If you do go... You will be so far into labour you wont even notice.
    Does the pain stop immediately upon giving birth?

yes, pain stops once the baby is out. On my last labour my body started to shake after the baby was out.... just the adrenalin pumping through after a quick delivery.

It all depends. Most hospitals encourage active labour now. Midwifery led units are the best for active child births.. Maybe you should look into joining one of them schemes?

Best of luck with it all

Quality wrote: »
    Your baby smells like the most fantastic thing you have ever smelt in all your life... Its weird, all I want to do is hold and look at my babies when I have them... There is usually just a little bit of blood on the baby from passing through you. The baby has been living in amniotic fluid for 9 months which is supposed to smell sweetish (correct me if I am wrong).

l

Oh I really wish I had experienced this. After the section they took him upstairs and I didn't see or hold him for a while. I still cant walk past the hospital without crying because of this and other reasons.

Oh I really wish I had experienced this. After the section they took him upstairs and I didn't see or hold him for a while. I still cant walk past the hospital without crying because of this and other reasons.

Ahh dont let it get you down.. Baby had to go up stairs because he wasnt well. Best thing for him. just think how lucky you are to have had a healthy little baby. I am sure you make up for it with lots of hugs and kisses now!!

After the delivery of my daughter 9 years ago. they handed her straight to my oh... I wasn't happy with that at all... Which reminds me to not forget to say it to midwife that baby goes on me first this time round!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Birth plans are a great way of letting the team caring for you know all of your wishes.

Make sure you have it written and bring it to an antenatal appointment so that your wishes can be discussed and anything explained. They are great as long as there is nothing unrealistic on there. I hate it when I see 'I don't want an episiotomy' on a birth plan. Truth is, most midwives don't want to give an episiotomy! But as for which position to adopt for pushing etc... definately have it written down as its all to easy to fall in to the 'on your back, legs around the ears' position when the time comes, which research actually suggests is one of the worst positions to be in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

definately have it written down as its all to easy to fall in to the 'on your back, legs around the ears' position when the time comes, which research actually suggests is one of the worst positions to be in!

What are the better positions?

I definitely intend to be more vocal about my wants or, more importantly, what I don't want, this time. I'm thinking of asking to be induced early if baby is looking big as a result of the gestational diabetes. I understand this may not be an option if my body or the baby isn't ready, but I really want to avoid a section, I'm afraid that's what will happen now :(

Quackles wrote: »
    What are the better positions?

I definitely intend to be more vocal about my wants or, more importantly, what I don't want, this time. I'm thinking of asking to be induced early if baby is looking big as a result of the gestational diabetes. I understand this may not be an option if my body or the baby isn't ready, but I really want to avoid a section, I'm afraid that's what will happen now :(

Squatting is supposed to be one of the better ones. Also there are things you can do with a birthing ball which are good. I used one but I can't remember exactly-its all kind of a blur.

Lying on your back is one of the worst positions. It came into fashion in Europe with Louis XIV [I think it XIV - but cant be certain] because he wanted to see his child being born.

Quality- if you induce you have a much greater chance of a section. that's how I ended up with one. They thought he was late [which he wasnt - they got the dates wrong] so they induced - ended up in labour for 22 hours and then followed by a section. Inductions are tricky.

Quality- if you induce you have a much greater chance of a section. that's how I ended up with one. They thought he was late [which he wasnt - they got the dates wrong] so they induced - ended up in labour for 22 hours and then followed by a section. Inductions are tricky.

I am well aware that an induction would be more likely to lead to intervention than if I go into labour naturally, but I'll only ask for the induction if the baby is looking overly big, like pushing 11lb, in which case I'd be afraid I'll end up having one anyway - my feeling is that they'll say no unless they think my body is ready for it. I just want the chance to do it myself.. I wouldn't even consider it if it wasn't for the gestational diabetes.

I know exactly what day ours was conceived (the day we decided we'd start trying :rolleyes: ) so I know my due dates are close to right. Actually, I'd put myself at 21st of Jan instead of 17th due to a longer cycle. They'd better not argue with me over my due date ;)

Quackles wrote: »

I know exactly what day ours was conceived (the day we decided we'd start trying :rolleyes: ) so I know my due dates are close to right. Actually, I'd put myself at 21st of Jan instead of 17th due to a longer cycle. They'd better not argue with me over my due date ;)

I gave them the earliest possible date that he could have been conceived and they got it wrong, TWO hospitals did. Their calculations are based on the first day of your last period before you got pregnant based on a 28 day cycle.

I know you don't want to push out an 11 pount baby but how would an induction prevent this? You still have to push it out with an induction. Would you consider talking to or hiring a doula?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I know you don't want to push out an 11 pount baby but how would an induction prevent this? You still have to push it out with an induction. Would you consider talking to or hiring a doula?

I'm guessing if you have an induction on your due date the baby won't hang around for another 2 weeks growing and growing etc...

My friend had an induction on her due date - she was private in the coombe. As it was her 2nd baby it was much easier anyway.

• Advertisement

I was induced on my last. Lucky for me it went very well.

My babies were 9 and 11 days over... I am praying to god I will go on time, this time round. Its awful to go over.

Grawns wrote: »
    I'm guessing if you have an induction on your due date the baby won't hang around for another 2 weeks growing and growing etc...

My friend had an induction on her due date - she was private in the coombe. As it was her 2nd baby it was much easier anyway.

Good point.

She had an induction on her due date? I thought they waited until you were two weeks overdue?

lostinnappies, ya can drive after a c section, doctor just has to ok you for it.

it's actually to do with your insurance, unless you have a written note from your doc, your not insured to drive.

Ok, here are my thoughts, for what they're worth;

Epidural can make birth more difficult as you can't feel what you're pushing, therefore takes longer and more likely to tear, also you get over birth so much quicker without it.

C-sections are damn scary, couldn't be dealing with that.

If you are choosing to breastfeed, I recommend buying vitamin e capsules, and for a couple of weeks before you're due, rub one capsule into each nipple every day, this will help the 'suppleness' of your nipples and can make breastfeeding more comfortable.

Yes, yes it stings like hell when you pee, kind of like cystitis, but on the outside....

On the maternity pads issue, I found that the Always ultra super nightime pads the best thing since sliced bread, they were amazing, they're really really long on wide and don't make you feel like there's another baby in your pants!

If it's your first, be prepared to be told you're not in labour when you think you are, If you can help it, don't go to hospital until the very last minute - unless you live very far away, or your waters have broke (even then they may end you home!)

If it's your first, be prepared to be told you're not in labour when you think you are, If you can help it, don't go to hospital until the very last minute - unless you live very far away, or your waters have broke (even then they may end you home!)

My doula gave me good adive on this, which I didnt follow as I was induced, but she advised that when you go into labour bake cookies. It will keep you moving and also it gives you something to bring to the midwives, so they will be extra nice to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Oh sweet lord, i am here reading this with my eyes half closed!!

Good point.

She had an induction on her due date? I thought they waited until you were two weeks overdue?

It was on her request and she had a very understanding consultant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

My doula gave me good adive on this, which I didnt follow as I was induced, but she advised that when you go into labour bake cookies. It will keep you moving and also it gives you something to bring to the midwives, so they will be extra nice to you.

I wish someone would bring me cookies! Of course I don't need cookies to be extra nice :p

The all fours position is one of the best positions to give birth in, its more comfortable for you and its great for the midwife to be able to see and protect your perineum. If you have an epidural this isn't possible, but laying on your left side with your right leg being held up is also a better position than laying on your back. Alternating positions as much as possible also helps for the head to descend, and being as mobile as possible in labour will help things move along more so than lying in bed!

Doulas are great for making you keep active in labour, although most maternity hospitals only allow one birthing partner so if you want to have your other half in the room it could be a problem. Also some of the maternity hospitals frown upon doulas as they are seen to take over the role of the midwife in labour as a support person. Of course, it all comes down to personal preference.

The cookies are definately a good idea tho for any of you attending Holles st! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

That if you need stiches that the local injection doesnt work

The local worked for me. I didn't feel the stitching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

deisemum wrote: »
    The local worked for me. I didn't feel the stitching.

Thats good, my comment is not a given:)

• Advertisement

I had stitches and a local and didnt feel either one. As for inductions, and general trickery to get baba on the move there are lots of options that avoid the necessity of a full on induction. Talk to your consultant about the possibility of a "sweep". I was 5 days over when I got my consultant to do one, and went into labour 3 long walks, 2 curries, and a bit of how's your father later!(ie 3 days later). I reckon it was the hows your father that did the trick cos it was only an hour later that things started! I had discussed prostaglandin gel with my consultant and had planned to use it but didnt need it in the end. Or anywhere else for that matter!!! :D

I dont know about the self induction.... It doesnt work for me...

I started drinking the raspberry leaf tea last week.
    I got my sweep done on Tuesday, he told me I had started to soften!!
    I have eaten pineapple, gone for long walks on the beach and would be pretty active....
    I have lots of pressure...

Tonight I ordered a vindaloo and a jalfrezzi with the oh...

Oh and have had plenty of hows your father...

I was 9 days over on the first and induced at 11 days with prostaglandin gel...

Fingers crossed something happens soon....

Yay! Quality, you're nearly there!!!
    I hope it's quick, pain free and safe :)

Quality had a little boy! Yay!

Congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 justmum

I have a history of premature deliveries. I have now two children, both born six weeks premature. When I was pregnant with my second child my doctor advised me that I should avoid any stress as it doesn't help with my situation, however when I went for a scan the doctor there told me that if my baby is born premature there is a high chance that the baby will not survive. Now how do you remain calm after hearing that. He was in fact born early and though he only weighed under five pound there isn't a thing wrong with him. Apart from his temper that is, but he gets that from his daddy. LOL. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

ok folks, Ill let you into a secret- there is no award ceremony to new mothers at the doors of the hospital. It makes no difference if you did 'natural birth', 'hypobirth', 'gas', 'C-section'- you still have the same lovely baby. Don't be afraid to ask for pain relief.
    (speaking as a person who requested planned C-section)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Overanddone

Well I had a baby last month and there were loads of things that I hadn't had a clue about/wished I had known.

Water breaking: You will definitely know when it happens. I had had "the show" a couple days before going in to the hospital and wasn't sure whether this was just the lochia or my water breaking. Wow - the doc had to break my water about 4 hours after getting to the hospital and I still can't believe the amount that came out. It feels like peeing yourself x 10 (not that I know what peeing myself feels like but you get what I mean....) Very warm feeling and tons of water.

Contractions before heading to hospital: I had started having contractions at home the night before but they weren't too strong and I was waiting for them to get longer in length and closer together in time. A nifty website that I found does this for you ... found it handy as I was sitting in bed with my laptop....http://www.contractionmaster.com/
    Does the work for you and saves you from having to check your watch,jot down times etc.
    Once they were getting to 45 secs in length and happening every 3 mins or so I headed to the hospital and turns out I was already 3 cm dilated which was fab news!

Water: Drink a lot of water before you make the decision to head to the hospital. Once they determined that I truly was in labour and had me admitted, I wasn't allowed water anymore and was given ice chips instead. They just aren't the same as a nice glass of water and I felt a little dehydrated throughout. Wished I had chugged a couple bottles worth at home before heading over.

Labour positions: I stood and walked around the bed instead of lying in it at the beginning stages and the nurses said this definitely speeds things up and makes it less painful. It was not bad at all and I was able to keep that up for about 2 hours before they moved me to the delivery room.

Epidural/Gas/Nothing: I wasn't in too much pain at the beginning and decided to go as far as I could without an epidural. The nurses let me know that the gas was available if I wanted - which I started to use once I was about 7 cm dilated. Found breathing in and out of the nozzle thing quite helpful because you end up focusing on your breaths and not the pain. You know full well when another contraction is coming so have time to prepare yourself. Ended up not getting an epidural because I was almost there without it - great decision in the end because the actual pushing part lasted about 2 mins. Nurses and doctors explained to me that when you opt out of the epidural you are more aware of where and when the pain is hitting you "down there" and will know when to push and where to direct the energy when it comes time for it. I could feel the baby's head pushing on the rim during one contraction, told the nurse and they had me in position within a minute. Two more contractions/pushes and he was out!!! I had thought the last part would've been the hard one - not at all!! Paled in comparison to the actual labour contractions leading up to it.

Temp/Clothes during labour: It is warm, very warm so I wouldn't be concerned with keeping your feet snuggly in woolen socks etc. Though I did get a bit chilly right after giving birth - they said it had to do with my body losing the internal furnace that I had had inside me for the last 9 mths! Could've done with a nice warm pair of socks right after the delivery while I was waiting to be moved.

Sensitivity to smell: I did not get any cravings throughout my pregnancy but certain smells would totally gross me out - like my sense of smell was heightened to that of a superhero. This climaxed during the labour stage. My partner headed out for cigarettes twice during the 9 hours and when he came back I sent him away to get gum/wash his hands etc. The smell almost made me throw up on the delivery table. This may just be me but warn your partner that you may be a bit cranky/oversensitive during the labour stages and the littlest thing can send you over. Sure he didn't mind at all considering what I was going through at the time but I did feel a bit bad acting like such a primadonna!

Placenta: It was massive! My partner nearly passed out when he saw it. Mine was attached and didn't just come out on it's own so we had to wait for about an hour while I had more contractions etc and had to push it out the same way that I did the baby. Had thought my job was done after the delivery, nope. You have to deliver the placenta as well and that could be a full hour afterwards!

Bleeding afterwards: Heavy!!! I would suggest buying the nightime heavy versions cuz it'll save you having to change them every 2 hours. The hospital provided me with some industrial massive ones and they were handy doubled up for the first two days. After that I was OK with the storebought ones. My bleeding lasted 4 weeks but that's totally up to the individual. Had thought I was in the clear a couple times but then it started up again........

Breasts when not breastfeeding: I chose not to breastfeed and you need to prepare yourself if you do the same. Your breasts fill up 2-3 days after delivery and it is quite painful. They are hard as rocks and actually feel like they are throbbing. Started to leak so had to wear breast pads. The pain made sleeping on my side unbearable. In the shower you have to make sure not to have your breasts under the flow of water because this only stimulates them and leads them to think they need to produce more milk!! All in all the leaking lasted about 10 days for me, really tapered off after 4-5 days but still a couple wet patches in my padded bras up until Day 10.

Constipation: Drink a LOT of water. They made me take iron pills afterwards and these make you quite constipated and make your stool black. Just a heads up so you don't freak out.

Belly: I'm still a bit in awe of my belly and how it's a bit puffy and hollow. Before my pregnancy I would've been very fit with not much of a tummy so it's strange to see it now. 5 weeks on and there's a little pouchy area around my navel that's soft to the touch - apparently it takes a couple mths for your uterus to get back to it's normal size so be prepared.

Back pain: I started getting lower back pain 1-2 weeks after, probably from weak abdominal muscles/strain on body etc. I went to M&S and bought one of those "suck everything in girdle things" shaped like a bathing suit and this made the world of difference. Kept everything thing tucked in and got rid of my back pain. Well worth the money.

Well I hope some of you find this helpful. Like I've told my friends, it really isn't as bad as you think it'll be and the pain is forgotten as soon as you see your baby. Best of luck to the expectant mothers out there - you'll be great!!!

Lovely to hear the positive stories with all those great tips. Well done everyone. I really wanted this thread to be a resource for handy tips and tricks for pregnancy and labour and post-natal self care and i'm delighted that it's doing just that. Keep up the good work all!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

A website that times contractions, that's hilarious. I imagine this nerdy, nervous husband sitting by his labouring wife thinking 'hmm, can I programme something for this?'. (I'm sure it's useful and all, but it's funny!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

A bloody brilliant invention if you ask me, I shall be using it when I first go into labour :D

I could've done with that!I remember trying to concentrate on Coronation Street and time my contractions at the same time (being over an hour from the Hospital and being my first I was anxious to get it right!). That website would have been brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 mackerel

I wish I had been told about pre-eclampsia.

I was watching a fascinating documentary the other night and it showed how close they are to developing a drug to cure pre-eclampsia without harming the baby.They now know the proper scientific cause (something to do with switched off genes and insufficient development of blood supply in the placenta) and they are just trying different treatments that will avoid the necessity of early delivery and the enormous danger to both mother and baby. Yay for Scientists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 justmum

Well I had a baby last month and there were loads of things that I hadn't had a clue about/wished I had known.

Water breaking: You will definitely know when it happens. I had had "the show" a couple days before going in to the hospital and wasn't sure whether this was just the lochia or my water breaking. Wow - the doc had to break my water about 4 hours after getting to the hospital and I still can't believe the amount that came out. It feels like peeing yourself x 10 (not that I know what peeing myself feels like but you get what I mean....) Very warm feeling and tons of water.

Contractions before heading to hospital: I had started having contractions at home the night before but they weren't too strong and I was waiting for them to get longer in length and closer together in time. A nifty website that I found does this for you ... found it handy as I was sitting in bed with my laptop....http://www.contractionmaster.com/
    Does the work for you and saves you from having to check your watch,jot down times etc.
    Once they were getting to 45 secs in length and happening every 3 mins or so I headed to the hospital and turns out I was already 3 cm dilated which was fab news!

Water: Drink a lot of water before you make the decision to head to the hospital. Once they determined that I truly was in labour and had me admitted, I wasn't allowed water anymore and was given ice chips instead. They just aren't the same as a nice glass of water and I felt a little dehydrated throughout. Wished I had chugged a couple bottles worth at home before heading over.

Labour positions: I stood and walked around the bed instead of lying in it at the beginning stages and the nurses said this definitely speeds things up and makes it less painful. It was not bad at all and I was able to keep that up for about 2 hours before they moved me to the delivery room.

Epidural/Gas/Nothing: I wasn't in too much pain at the beginning and decided to go as far as I could without an epidural. The nurses let me know that the gas was available if I wanted - which I started to use once I was about 7 cm dilated. Found breathing in and out of the nozzle thing quite helpful because you end up focusing on your breaths and not the pain. You know full well when another contraction is coming so have time to prepare yourself. Ended up not getting an epidural because I was almost there without it - great decision in the end because the actual pushing part lasted about 2 mins. Nurses and doctors explained to me that when you opt out of the epidural you are more aware of where and when the pain is hitting you "down there" and will know when to push and where to direct the energy when it comes time for it. I could feel the baby's head pushing on the rim during one contraction, told the nurse and they had me in position within a minute. Two more contractions/pushes and he was out!!! I had thought the last part would've been the hard one - not at all!! Paled in comparison to the actual labour contractions leading up to it.

Temp/Clothes during labour: It is warm, very warm so I wouldn't be concerned with keeping your feet snuggly in woolen socks etc. Though I did get a bit chilly right after giving birth - they said it had to do with my body losing the internal furnace that I had had inside me for the last 9 mths! Could've done with a nice warm pair of socks right after the delivery while I was waiting to be moved.

Sensitivity to smell: I did not get any cravings throughout my pregnancy but certain smells would totally gross me out - like my sense of smell was heightened to that of a superhero. This climaxed during the labour stage. My partner headed out for cigarettes twice during the 9 hours and when he came back I sent him away to get gum/wash his hands etc. The smell almost made me throw up on the delivery table. This may just be me but warn your partner that you may be a bit cranky/oversensitive during the labour stages and the littlest thing can send you over. Sure he didn't mind at all considering what I was going through at the time but I did feel a bit bad acting like such a primadonna!

Placenta: It was massive! My partner nearly passed out when he saw it. Mine was attached and didn't just come out on it's own so we had to wait for about an hour while I had more contractions etc and had to push it out the same way that I did the baby. Had thought my job was done after the delivery, nope. You have to deliver the placenta as well and that could be a full hour afterwards!

Bleeding afterwards: Heavy!!! I would suggest buying the nightime heavy versions cuz it'll save you having to change them every 2 hours. The hospital provided me with some industrial massive ones and they were handy doubled up for the first two days. After that I was OK with the storebought ones. My bleeding lasted 4 weeks but that's totally up to the individual. Had thought I was in the clear a couple times but then it started up again........

Breasts when not breastfeeding: I chose not to breastfeed and you need to prepare yourself if you do the same. Your breasts fill up 2-3 days after delivery and it is quite painful. They are hard as rocks and actually feel like they are throbbing. Started to leak so had to wear breast pads. The pain made sleeping on my side unbearable. In the shower you have to make sure not to have your breasts under the flow of water because this only stimulates them and leads them to think they need to produce more milk!! All in all the leaking lasted about 10 days for me, really tapered off after 4-5 days but still a couple wet patches in my padded bras up until Day 10.

Constipation: Drink a LOT of water. They made me take iron pills afterwards and these make you quite constipated and make your stool black. Just a heads up so you don't freak out.

Belly: I'm still a bit in awe of my belly and how it's a bit puffy and hollow. Before my pregnancy I would've been very fit with not much of a tummy so it's strange to see it now. 5 weeks on and there's a little pouchy area around my navel that's soft to the touch - apparently it takes a couple mths for your uterus to get back to it's normal size so be prepared.

Back pain: I started getting lower back pain 1-2 weeks after, probably from weak abdominal muscles/strain on body etc. I went to M&S and bought one of those "suck everything in girdle things" shaped like a bathing suit and this made the world of difference. Kept everything thing tucked in and got rid of my back pain. Well worth the money.

Well I hope some of you find this helpful. Like I've told my friends, it really isn't as bad as you think it'll be and the pain is forgotten as soon as you see your baby. Best of luck to the expectant mothers out there - you'll be great!!!

Hi, would you please tell me where you got one of those suits. I'm having my third child and while I'm looking forward to the new arrival, not looking forward to the back pains. Would really appreciate the info. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

This thread has totally scared me now< though we still want a baby!

CathyMoran wrote: »
    This thread has totally scared me now< though we still want a baby!

If it was as bad as all that, we wouldn't go through it again - honestly, I'm looking forward to a second crack at labour :) You'll be fine!!

CathyMoran, don't worry about it.

I don't think this one has been mentioned but it's for those on their second labours, the after pains (contractions) on second and subsequent babies can be fairly painful, painful enough that you thing you may deliver another baby. I was tipped off about it and on the way into hospital to had second baby I mad hubby go into the chemist and get strong painkillers.

As far as I can see from all my research, no matter how bad or terrifying the experience is - you can be split like a pig, stapled back together, have serious bowel damage and be in agony for months afterwards - and you will still go again! Babies have some secret voodoo, amnesia power :confused:

Grawns wrote: »
    As far as I can see from all my research, no matter how bad or terrifying the experience is - you can be split like a pig, stapled back together, have serious bowel damage and be in agony for months afterwards - and you will still go again! Babies have some secret voodoo, amnesia power :confused:

It's the smell, baby smell is hypnotic, makes you forget everything :pac: Hurry up, baby, I need a fix!! I had a grand time last time around, the stitches were nothing ;) In all seriousness, though, I blame the epidural and not being able to feel what I was doing for a lot of my problems last time, I'm really hoping that going without one this time (not to mention the fact that I've delivered an 8lb 7oz baby before) will mean that things go a bit more smoothly this time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement