Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Air Frost 2008

Options
  • 13-09-2008 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

When and at what station will we see the first Air Frost of the 08/09 season? Perhaps, a few bonus points for the league could be picked up? Ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mullingar - Oct 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Dub AP 13th Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Casement Oct 5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Birr - October 10th

How about bonus points for the first poster to post about an air frost at their location? (No cheating!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

How could you verify that? You know, if the night was just in or around allowing an air frost with temps but wasn't quite up to it but you happen to be in the midlands in a sheltered spot and do get an air frost.... such a person would be accused of cheating! You'd have to have weather station data to back your claim up and not many have those!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

17th October birr,casement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

BeGeepers you know winter is coming when people like "Snow Plow" start posting!

PS: He/She used two locations!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Alright since ye asked, extra 5 points for the first air frost date and another 5 if you get the location right..if two places get it same night, lowest temp wins.

The winning entry is Casement 7th October .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

September 28th at Claremorris, gaurenteed :D

Edit, hugely depends on an continental easterly, which seems to be a thing of the past..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

knock apt 9th oct 08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I'm no weather expert by any stretch but very kean on the subject.
    Is it possible we could see our first frost if this scandi high develops over Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Birr, Nov 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Casement, 10th October

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Supercell wrote: »
    Alright since ye asked, extra 5 points for the first air frost date and another 5 if you get the location right..if two places get it same night, lowest temp wins.

The winning entry is Casement 7th October .

Damn, was banking on taking timed readings so the easterly hit dub AP first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

On the twelfth night of October there will be an air frost in Birr.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I predict an airfrost at Johnstown castle on the 8th of October.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

13th October, Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

7th October, Casement

I'd not be surprised to see a touch of ground frost at least tonight in one or 2 spots, there is a real dry chill outside. Birr or Ballyhaise most likely or maybe even Claremorris We'll see. :)

And sure enough, Birr's grass temp fell below zero on that night. -0.4c, the first ground frost of the season. Claremorris almost made it at +0.4c.

Fingers crossed that air temps will follow soon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

It will come close in the midlands and west this week for an air frost to develop.

But i'll go with Dubin AP 31st Oct

Snowbie wrote: »
    It will come close in the midlands and west this week for an air frost to develop.

I hope so Snowbie. If I recall rightly, there was quite a frost one morning around this time last year, with the temp as low as 1.2c. Got down to 3.3c here this morning, and indeed, as I drove through my hometown Tuam this morning I think it would have been even colder there (a notorious frost pocket due to being relatively lower that the surrounding countryside) as there was the faintest hint of frost on the roofs. I don't think it will be as cold over the next few nights though, as I think cloud will increase generally. But that is my pessimistic streak again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I recorded 2.6°C here on the 18th last year so probably had a ground frost that morning. The season is definitely upon us. 8 weeks from now temperatures above 10°C will be a bonus :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Down to 2c atm in Birr - getting closer! And 1.5c at Pallas Green at 7.20am according to NRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I hope so Snowbie. If I recall rightly, there was quite a frost one morning around this time last year, with the temp as low as 1.2c. Got down to 3.3c here this morning, and indeed, as I drove through my hometown Tuam this morning I think it would have been even colder there (a notorious frost pocket due to being relatively lower that the surrounding countryside) as there was the faintest hint of frost on the roofs. I don't think it will be as cold over the next few nights though, as I think cloud will increase generally. But that is my pessimistic streak again. :)

Not very scientific, but I was working at the ploughing championships last year near Tullamore, and there was a significant frost at 7am one of the mornings - ice on the car and fields all white. Not sure what qualifies as air frost, but it was damn cold! Would have been around the 25th September...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Zzippy wrote: »
    Not very scientific, but I was working at the ploughing championships last year near Tullamore, and there was a significant frost at 7am one of the mornings - ice on the car and fields all white. Not sure what qualifies as air frost, but it was damn cold! Would have been around the 25th September...
    -0.0C is an airfrost. Air temp is measured at 4feet above ground, so when the air temp at 4 feet is below 0C it is classified as an airfrost. Ground temp can be as much as 5 or 6C lower than this depending on other conditions but more especially on the crisp clear nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 StratoQ

Mullingar getting very near an air frost.

1C now at 10pm. Humidity is high - so rate of drop has slowed - but still would say it will dip sub zero by around midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

StratoQ wrote: »
    Mullingar getting very near an air frost.

1C now at 10pm. Humidity is high - so rate of drop has slowed - but still would say it will dip sub zero by around midnight.

Up to 2C at 11pm

NRA reporting Air Temp. -0.8c atm (0600) at (N2) Reaghstown.

I'm at 5.1c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

This morns mins
    Dublin AP 1.0C
    Mullingar 1.1C
    Casement & Birr 2.8C

My AWS recorded 0.8C but official min from the screen 1.3C with grass min -4.3C.

Advertisement