Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What has happened to PI?

Options
  • 13-09-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

IMHO the PI forum serves little or no use anymore, other than to make value judgements and to pass pious hypocritical comment on situations/problems that people have found very difficult to get through/resolve on their own. This particular thread. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055333656 is typical of what I'm referring to. If a person is worried enough to post an issue in PI then I think that those who wish to respond should do so without prejudice and as objectively as they can. Would it be worth considering that all posts in this forum should be approved by a mod before being added to a thread. Or ask those individuals (pious sanctimonious ****es) that I see passing judgement on others to take the well intentioned opinions elsewhere.

Now that I said my bit I'm going back to lurking again
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Welcome to Boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭token56

boidey wrote: »
    IMHO the PI forum serves little or no use anymore, other than to make value judgements and to pass pious hypocritical comment on situations/problems that people have found very difficult to get through/resolve on their own. This particular thread. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055333656 is typical of what I'm referring to. If a person is worried enough to post an issue in PI then I think that those who wish to respond should do so without prejudice and as objectively as they can. Would it be worth considering that all posts in this forum should be approved by a mod before being added to a thread. Or ask those individuals (pious sanctimonious ****es) that I see passing judgement on others to take the well intentioned opinions elsewhere.

From my brief time here I think PI helps alot of people who are in distress or worrying. I agree some posts may not be helpful but in general the mods there are very quick to stop any off topic or unhelpful posting. I dont think it would be the best use of their time to be checking every post made. Overall I think the mods do a good jobs at present and if you ever have any problems with a post just report it and they are normally fairly quick to reply or review the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

The system works OP. Were it not for the good and true moderation there my answers and I susect a few others would normally be.

GET A FUKING GRIP OF YOURSELF.

ARE YOU REALLY THAT MUCH OF A FUKING IDIOT.

SHOTGUN TO YOUR HEAD AND PULL TRIGGER WOULD BE A GOOD START. REMEMBER TO LOAD IT FIRST YOU STUPID IDIOT.

But I am more of a good kick in the ass and pull your socks up type of individual. People do say I am a good listener though! Just my answers lack emotional involvement.
    I blame a miss guided childhood and bad beats in poker.

:pac:

The system works OP. Were it not for the good and true moderation there my answers and I susect a few others would normally be.

GET A FUKING GRIP OF YOURSELF.

ARE YOU REALLY THAT MUCH OF A FUKING IDIOT.

SHOTGUN TO YOUR HEAD AND PULL TRIGGER WOULD BE A GOOD START. REMEMBER TO LOAD IT FIRST YOU STUPID IDIOT.

But I am more of a good kick in the ass and pull your socks up type of individual. People do say I am a good listener though! Just my answers lack emotional involvement.
    I blame a miss guided childhood and bad beats in poker.

:pac:
    Wow. You just got banned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

Apologies Overheal, help me out a bit, the point of your post is what exactly. I can't see the relevance of 2 of the links you posted.
    Suspect trolls posting in PI? I can't see the relevance.
    Seeking medical advice in PI? Ditto.
    To elaborate, It is my humble opinion that the excess of judgmental commentary that can be seen in PI can be damaging/hurtful/unhelpful to the OPs. If a person is seeking help with a personal issue, then rather than passing a value laden judgment, could those that respond do so in an objective manner, rather than putting the boot in under the pretext of "tough love"

BTW thanks for the welcome. Joined '04 and making baby jeezus cry since nineteen hundred and sixty seven ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Apologies Overheal, help me out a bit, the point of your post is what exactly. I can't see the relevance of 2 of the links you posted.
    Suspect trolls posting in PI? I can't see the relevance.
    Seeking medical advice in PI? Ditto.
    To elaborate, It is my humble opinion that the excess of judgmental commentary that can be seen in PI can be damaging/hurtful/unhelpful to the OPs. If a person is seeking help with a personal issue, then rather than passing a value laden judgment, could those that respond do so in an objective manner, rather than putting the boot in under the pretext of "tough love"

BTW thanks for the welcome. Joined '04 and making baby jeezus cry since nineteen hundred and sixty seven ;-)
    Well, I for one think that the OP got some very good advice in that thread. And I also think that the mod's did a good job. Sometimes a reality check for the OP is a good thing. Magic Marker for example may have been strong with his words but he spoke sense.

Considering the attitude of the OP, I can see why people wanted to inject some common sense into his brain..

However, I strongly disagree with name calling on PI. Any post I see on PI with an insult, I report. A year or so ago, I called a fellow poster an idiot. In fairness, he gave the OP advice on how to commit suicide. The poster was infracted - obviously. But so was I - and the mod in question was right to do so as I shouldn't have resorted to name calling in the first place. I think the modding in PI is especially good tbh.

Overheal wrote: »
    Wow. You just got banned?

Not that I am aware of. I try not to read PI and never post there.

I think the reasons are obvious? I find our trend towards American type Therapy and a Pill for everything, somewhat disturbing.

Some people just need told the harsh truth. A good slap around the side of the head would help too at times.

IMO

See what I did there?

Some people just need told the harsh truth. A good slap around the side of the head would help too at times.

At the risk of sounding contradictory, I can agree with you in certain instances. Some people do just need some straight talk. What about the others though? What about those that are genuinely worried sick, vulnerable, distressed and possibly suicidal with no one to turn to. I just don't know if allowing "the (wo)man in the street" loose on them is the best thing for them in that situation.
    In the first instance I think its sad that as a society we find easier to talk to strangers on a web forum than those that might actually know us. Its is quite heavily emphasized that PI is not a medical forum (for reasons of legal liability) but I can think that there are times when some of the responses could actually be quite damaging to individuals concerned.
    Take the scenario that poster acts on advice they have received in PI and those actions subsequently negatively affect others (eg their children) I would consider those those individuals (the chorus) to be morally liable in that case.

I think the reasons are obvious? I find our trend towards American type Therapy and a Pill for everything, somewhat disturbing.
    Thats the first time I've ever heard that called the American Way.

• Advertisement

At the risk of sounding contradictory, I can agree with you in certain instances. Some people do just need some straight talk. What about the others though? What about those that are genuinely worried sick, vulnerable, distressed and possibly suicidal with no one to turn to. I just don't know if allowing "the (wo)man in the street" loose on them is the best thing for them in that situation.

Thats why we link those people to Organisations, through phone numbers and web links.
    In the first instance I think its sad that as a society we find easier to talk to strangers on a web forum than those that might actually know us.

Do YOU prefer talking to your brother about erectile dysfunction, or someone who isnt going to remember your face an hour later? Theres nothing wrong with anonymity. And its not like people don't talk to people they know. You can tell quickly which regular OP's in PI have nobody else to talk to.
    Its is quite heavily emphasized that PI is not a medical forum (for reasons of legal liability) but I can think that there are times when some of the responses could actually be quite damaging to individuals concerned.
    Take the scenario that poster acts on advice they have received in PI and those actions subsequently negatively affect others (eg their children) I would consider those those individuals (the chorus) to be morally liable in that case.
    Within the confines of opinion, posts are regularly deleted and users banned for posting inappropriate advice in PI. For example, any endorsement of violence, in any shape, its not condoned in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

In the first instance I think its sad that as a society we find easier to talk to strangers on a web forum than those that might actually know us. Its is quite heavily emphasized that PI is not a medical forum (for reasons of legal liability) but I can think that there are times when some of the responses could actually be quite damaging to individuals concerned.
    Well to be honest, most of the advice given in PI is usually pretty good. If someone suggests something outlandish, they are usually pulled up by mods or other posters intervene.

People can get bad advice from anywhere, not just on a public forum such as PI. There is no accounting for how different people may read a certain situation. Most people that post on PI are genuinely concerned for the OPs' well being as far as I can see. They cannot be held personally responsible for any repercussions due to giving what they felt was constructive advice which they feel may benefit the OP.

If you read through a lot of the threads on PI concerning suicide for example - 99% of the responses are motivational, caring and constructive. Like i've said the 'pull yerself together' types are usually dealt with quickly.

I have seen a lot of good outcomes for the OP's on PI. Sometimes it is a good thing to get a 'strangers' point of view. Sometimes people in your life tell you only what you want to hear. They may be biased due to past circumstances etc. Sometimes a fresh perspective may be what is needed. A lot of the regular posters on PI have gone through tough times themselves and can therefore offer some great advice to the OP. Some conditions may be impossible for friends and family to understand. PI has people from all walks of life. They may have experienced exactly what the OP is experiencing and can therefore offer good advice. I also think PI is a useful forum insofar as the range of issues that are discussed. Some may find perspective on their problems by reading another thread which deals with an issue similar to theirs. They may not even have to post one themselves.

At the end of the day, bad advice can be given anywhere. The mods on PI are good. And it's heavily moderated.

Thats the first time I've ever heard that called the American Way.

Thats because it is normal to americans.;)

pfft. better than drowning your problems in the pub though to be fair.

Thats because it is normal to americans.;)

Do not judge him for his ways. Try and think of him as a Mike65 less the whole english and Irish angle, but with Americano thrown in for taste.

I know I do. Americano Latte if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Firstly it is the weekend and mods have lives,
    secondly how many of the post you found objectable did you report ?
    Would it be worth considering that all posts in this forum should be approved by a mod before being added to a thread.

No PI can easily run between 300 to a 1,000 posts in 24 hours.
    Or ask those individuals (pious sanctimonious ****es) that I see passing judgement on others to take the well intentioned opinions elsewhere.

Again report the posts.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Firstly it is the weekend and mods have lives,
    secondly how many of the post you found objectable did you report ?

No PI can easily run between 300 to a 1,000 posts in 24 hours.

Again report the posts.

You mods do a great job on PI.
    For the record.

Thats why we link those people to Organisations, through phone numbers and web links.
    First of all, who is "we", am I adressing royalty or a multiple personality disorder? Or are you an appointed spokesperson for some entity. Whilst useful links are stickied in the PI forum, I don't see them being cited in excess.

Do YOU prefer talking to your brother about erectile dysfunction
    how did you know about my permanent erection?
    Within the confines of opinion, posts are regularly deleted and users banned for posting inappropriate advice in PI. For example, any endorsement of violence, in any shape, its not condoned in any way.
    But telling someone to empty joint bank accounts and leave their partners is ok on the basis of reading a few paragraphs from somebody that you don't know from a hole in the wall is ok? Telling someone to dump their partners because they don't like giving blowjobs?

Edit: this is not in any way about the PI mods so if someone wants to brown nose or criticise the mods. Be off with ye!
    Ok real simple this time. How qualified are the regular responders in PI. Lots of life experience, professional experience/qualifications, voluntary experience? Or nothing other than enjoying telling other people what to do with their lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

First of all, who is "we", am I adressing royalty or a multiple personality disorder? Or are you an appointed spokesperson for some entity. Whilst useful links are stickied in the PI forum, I don't see them being cited in excess.

I cite them as often as I feel they are needed, I have txt file of them on my desktop.

But telling someone to empty joint bank accounts and leave their partners is ok on the basis of reading a few paragraphs from somebody that you don't know from a hole in the wall is ok? Telling someone to dump their partners because they don't like giving blowjobs?

There will always be range of opinions in PI, sometimes it takes someone saying dump them for a person to say even only onto themselves 'no' and start looking realstically at what they want and what they are willing to do to try make a relationship work. What is deal breaker for some people is not for others.

That being said we have had an influx of posters who have been a pain in the arse abiding by the letter of the charter and while arse raping the spirit of the forum. It was bound to happen as the site getting bigger and we just have to work harder at squashing their spirits.
    Edit: this is not in any way about the PI mods so if someone wants to brown nose or criticise the mods. Be off with ye!

See you are and you are, yes you are saying it is not the mods but the posters but the forum is under the guidance of the mods and we have to try and set a standard and use the rules in the charter to push the ethos of the forum.
    Ok real simple this time. How qualified are the regular responders in PI. Lots of life experience, professional experience/qualifications, voluntary experience? Or nothing other than enjoying telling other people what to do with their lives

Again report the post, make a list of those who you think are thread spoiling and out of line and help us help the forum by knocking belligerent and unhelpful posts on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Why? What has happened PI? (Serious question)

i see no difference, and if someone is thinking about breaking up with their husband/wife, of course it makes sense to empty the bank account first. Why do you think 20yo birds marry 80yo "wrinklies"? because it's all about money. Nothing illegal there really, unless you can be convicted of stealing money from yourself.

and by having everything moderated before it gets posted, pisses off users who have came to get rid of a load off their chest and are now even more frustrated...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

IMHO the PI forum serves little or no use anymore, other than to make value judgements and to pass pious hypocritical comment on situations/problems that people have found very difficult to get through/resolve on their own.
    Sorry boidey, but you really need to build yourself a bridge and get over it.

PI is one of the most valuable resources on boards for many people. I'm sure the moderators do their best to limit the levels of attendant muppetry that occur when opinions on a person's particular problem are invited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The attitude of the OP in his opening post on that pregnancy thread was one that fully warranted the initial reaction.

Dudess wrote: »
    The attitude of the OP in his opening post on that pregnancy thread was one that fully warranted the initial reaction.
    I thought that to, but i decided to say nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

He elaborated afterwards, but in the first post, he came across, frankly, as being quite ****ty about things. When that's all people had to go on, he can hardly blame them for reacting as they did.

Dudess wrote: »
    He elaborated afterwards, but in the first post, he came across, frankly, as being quite ****ty about things. When that's all people had to go on, he can hardly blame them for reacting as they did.

A bad start is twice the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

If the advice in threads also had to be vetted before it appeared on the forum then the mods would be accused of only being allowing their own opinions to be posted.

I think posters are brave to post in PI. Depending on the day and who is online you could get great advice or alternatively you get ten people coming into a thread to have a go and tell you how immature, insecure and controlling you are. Its pot luck. People are people and some will give advice and some will just give opinions. Its a lay persons forum and obviously not all the advice given will be good. Its just your average Joe advising your average Joe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not that I am aware of. I try not to read PI and never post there.

IMO

See what I did there?

The problem with the internet is that everyone knows it all and we are all tough guys! (And all internet chicks are hot too) :p

Unfortunately unless you know the person, the harsh truth could either be completely pointless or even detrimental!

Getting back to the OP's point, the mods do keep deconstructive comments in check. I think they delete some of them too which is even better.

Advertisement