Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inconsistant modding...?

Options
  • 13-09-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭

More out of curiosity than complaint, but in the armed gardai thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055377252

Two people called each other idiots but only one got infracted/banned (not sure which)

First incident: Tefri in post no. 15, no action
    Second incident: Steyr in post no. 20, infracted (yellow card was infraction, red was ban, no?)

Both using the exact same phrase too...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Um... I was responded to in Number 15. What are you talking about :confused:

methinks the offending posts were deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

They didn't call each other idiots, they called the OP and idiot. Or, at least, tried to.
    Secondly, they wer both infract. They were both banned.
    In my post in that thread: "They.."
    So, um, with all due respect: what are you on? Try hitting refresh before hitting the big shiny buttons that create new thread. Hell, maybe even hit the report post button.

ED: Those posts were soft-deleted a short while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think the posts have been removed/deleted? if not i'm just very confused

• Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Posts have indeed been deleted.

Karoma - the posts were replied in post no.52, having been up there for five hours. I posted this eight minutes later. What's the point of hitting the refresh button if the posts are deleted after I post this? As I said, I was curious, not complaining. One of them had a red infraction card at the time and had not been banned.

Less of the condescending attitude, please, Sir.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Posts have indeed been deleted.

Karoma - the posts were replied in post no.52, having been up there for five hours. I posted this eight minutes later. What's the point of hitting the refresh button if the posts are deleted after I post this? As I said, I was curious, not complaining. One of them had a red infraction card at the time and had not been banned.

Less of the condescending attitude, please, Sir.

The infractions were given before your thread. The posts were deleted at the 22:29, not in response to this thread. I don't give a toss for these knee-jerk threads.
    You posted a Feedback thread before your reported a post? You couldn't wait a few minutes for me to read the thread, and finish writing the messages in the infractions and bans? It's not a "condescending attitude".

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote: »
    You posted a Feedback thread before your reported a post? You couldn't wait a few minutes for me to read the thread, and finish writing the messages in the infractions and bans? It's not a "condescending attitude". Shut up or you'll get an attitude.. I'm soooo sorry: Have a smiley: :)

The post had already been reported and infracted - what was the point in reporting it again?

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    The post had already been reported and infracted - what was the point in reporting it again?

The one that you say wasn't infracted...? (Which it was.)

The one that you say wasn't infracted...? (Which it was.)

I didn't find them particualrly offensive, to be honest. But only one of them had a card beside it which led me to beleive only one of them had been infracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

They didn't call each other idiots, they called the OP and idiot. Or, at least, tried to.
    Secondly, they wer both infract. They were both banned.
    In my post in that thread: "They.."
    So, um, with all due respect: what are you on? Try hitting refresh before hitting the big shiny buttons that create new thread. Hell, maybe even hit the report post button.

ED: Those posts were soft-deleted a short while back.
    bit in bold is now irrelevant isnt it - you could have removed it when you editted to put in the bit about the soft delete - no need for that attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Another stupid decision here from Mellor.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055377715

And not only that but he searches my posts and finds another one where i am asking for advice on a product earlier today, which didnt seem to deserve any warnings at the time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57252124#post57252124

I cant find it now, i guess he deleted it too.

This is exactly what it said
    My Dad is looking for a nice cheap, green alternative (or even supplement) to oil (no gas where he lives either) for heating.

This unit can be installed for €2500, and will fit his house size nicely, but i cant find any details at all on it on the web in English.

Has anyone here bought one and could you please let us know your experiences with it.

http://heatpumps.scanhome.ie/catalogue/

I was in fact looking for advice on the same product that i found on boards , here in this post below today, that someone else posted back in early '07 and he gives me an infraction for it. Just for asking if anyone who bought it could post their experiences with it.

http://santa.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52868119&postcount=115

I've never seen anyone act so childish as Mellor did tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    ...meh...
    For pretty much all of what you said there, it's a job for the helpdesk, or at least to PM an SMod or an Admin, or even that categories' CMod...

We can't read no deleted information, but they can...

nevf wrote: »
    For pretty much all of what you said there, it's a job for the helpdesk, or at least to PM an SMod or an Admin, or even that categories' CMod...

We can't read no deleted information, but they can...

you can read the deleted post above. I posted it word for word in my post. Anyway ok not bothered getting a mid involved. Just wanted to highlight the childishness of mellor some stupid modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

you can read the deleted post above. I posted it word for word in my post. Anyway ok not bothered getting a mid involved. Just wanted to highlight the childishness of mellor some stupid nodding.

I haven't read what you posted but I agree, awful awful nodding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I haven't read what you posted but I agree, awful awful nodding.

BOOO YAAAAA!!! Take that typo!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Another stupid decision here from Mellor.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055377715
    Stupid decision, or stupid post.
    The charter stats not to name companies, recomendations etc. As we have a huge shill problem in C&P. Muffler re-stated this on the thread and you went and posted info on company, and also siad they are at least 3 times as dear as others. Are you familar with libel? Not generally a good practise to get involved in.

And not only that but he searches my posts and finds another one where i am asking for advice on a product earlier today, which didnt seem to deserve any warnings at the time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57252124#post57252124

I cant find it now, i guess he deleted it too.

Believe me, I have better things to do than check up on you. Even if you have difficulty in posting inline with the charter.

Once you start making up lies about a mod, it really takes away from your arguement. Why would you do this?

And before you play dumb. All the mods can see all the infractions, so they can all see that I certainly didn't search for another post to infract.

Besides, your second post is also dis-obeying rules. So if you were infracted for it, there is little case here also.
    This is exactly what it said
    My Dad is looking for a nice cheap, green alternative (or even supplement) to oil (no gas where he lives either) for heating.

This unit can be installed for €2500, and will fit his house size nicely, but i cant find any details at all on it on the web in English.

Has anyone here bought one and could you please let us know your experiences with it.

http://heatpumps.scanhome.ie/catalogue/

That message has been deleted, for reasons above.
    But, I have no idea why you would publicaly state that I did it:confused::confused:

I case you don't get it. I never seen that post until after it was deleted.
    I was in fact looking for advice on the same product that i found on boards , here in this post below today, that someone else posted back in early '07 and he gives me an infraction for it. Just for asking if anyone who bought it could post their experiences with it.

http://santa.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52868119&postcount=115
    Firstly, I wasn't a mod back in early 2007. But thats probably my fault again.
    Secondly, the charter of C&P, changes all the time. We have to do this to deal with emerging problems. The biggest problem is shill posts.
    They go something like;
    shill wrote:
    I am looking for blah blah for my new house.
    I have looked around and this one looks like the best on the net.
    www.link-to-product.com

What do you think?

Now can you see the similarities with post above. (The one that you said I search for and infracted, again I didn't).
    I'm not saying you are, or aren't a shill. For the record I don't believe you are. But those typr of posts aren't allowed simply due to the fact that it gets abused and most are not legitimate requests.
    I've never seen anyone act so childish as Mellor did tonight.
    Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

From reading this thread, am I to take it that no companies or opinions about companies may be mentioned on boards.ie?
    This is crazy and would make numerous forums obsolete. Companies and product recommendations are commonplace throughout boards.ie.

Just look at the following forums I regularly visit and you will find loads of people giving out about or praising various companies: broadband, satellite, television, parenting, etc, etc. How can this kind of post be banned from one particular forum but not from all others?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Ludo wrote: »
    From reading this thread, am I to take it that no companies or opinions about companies may be mentioned on boards.ie?
    This is crazy and would make numerous forums obsolete. Companies and product recommendations are commonplace throughout boards.ie.

Just look at the following forums I regularly visit and you will find loads of people giving out about or praising various companies: broadband, satellite, television, parenting, etc, etc. How can this kind of post be banned from one particular forum but not from all others?
    We have a strict policy of not naming companies in Construction & Planning except for the obvious ones like Kingspan, Tegral etc. This stems from having people sign up to pimp their company and also prevents any chance of disparaging comments about certain companies.

Each forum has its own charter.

I understand that but I am wondering why one forum is so special. Surely this should either be a site wide ban (would be rediculous) or be allowed everywhere.

I understand that but I am wondering why one forum is so special. Surely this should either be a site wide ban (would be rediculous) or be allowed everywhere.
    I don't think it is specific to one forum. Remember, there are more than 1000 fora here.

Also, in C&P, there are just too many potentially dodgy posts if somebody was to come on and say they bought wondows from X and they are sh1t.

Here you forgot some

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055376663

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055372849

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055368129

and thats after only 1 minute of looking.

Wouldnt want to be living up to the title of this thread now would we.

• Advertisement

smashey wrote: »
    I don't think it is specific to one forum. Remember, there are more than 1000 fora here.

Also, in C&P, there are just too many potentially dodgy posts if somebody was to come on and say they bought wondows from X and they are sh1t.

Same applies to every other forum which deals with services and products. I can go onto the laptops forum, for example, and say I bought a XXX brand laptop and it was ****/great without a problem.

Eh, I'm not getting into a pi$$ing contest here. Each forum has its own rules along with general site-wide rules.

KhanTheMan, if you see something that breaches the charter, report it.

Eh, I'm not getting into a pi$$ing contest here. Each forum has its own rules along with general site-wide rules.

KhanTheMan, if you see something that breaches the charter, report it.

Just pointing out some inconsistent modding as the thread title says.

Just pointing out some inconsistent modding as the thread title says.
    Nothing to do with falling foul of mellor last night then?

Nothing to do with falling foul of mellor last night then?

If you mean Falling foul of inconsistent modding then yes. Whats your excuse?

Until you show a small bit of respect towards the mods, you ain't going to get nothing sorted.
    Dropped at birth.
    What's yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Mods are human, they are also doing the mod job voluntarily. They are prone to mistakes or being inconsistent on occasion like all human beings.

Help them out by reporting anything you see that may breach the charter for that particular forum. :) There's no need for users to fight the power or for mods to come down with the heavy hand in a lot of cases. With a bit of tact and diplomacy most instances can be resolved without the need for a feedback thread.

/Deep breath...

...counts to 10...

...walks away without taking the bait.

/Deep breath...

...counts to 10...

...walks away without taking the bait.
    It's okay, I've already told him you were dropped at birth. Thats your excuse and i'm sticking to it..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Same applies to every other forum which deals with services and products. I can go onto the laptops forum, for example, and say I bought a XXX brand laptop and it was ****/great without a problem.

Not necessarily. Every industry is different. Every company treat negative online feedback differently. Some companies even registered on boards to deal with online complaints.

Shilling is the lowest of the low and because of the anomity of the internet, everyone is open to abuse. Things must have been pretty bad for the C&P mods to put a ban on it in place but if it eliminates shillers then IMO its bestti stays to avoid the forum losing any credibility it carries.

Anyway we dont get many C&P shillers posting the Film forum instead so we dont need a ban there too! :p

Advertisement