Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbers Advice Required on Boiler Feed-Return

Options
  • 13-09-2008 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hello,
    I had a Firebird S 50-90 indoor boiler installed indoors, and then i moved it out side. Now i'm moving it again (long story). Anyways, i'm doing it myself this time. The only problem is, where should the return pump be? The last 2 plumbers have changed its. Since the last installation, the boiler will not heat upstairs radiators. The system is also connected to solid fuel.

Is the return the bottom of the boiler and the feed the top? I'm confused, but i'll keep plugging away!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It's probably got to do with the dual system and a non return valve at the back boiler.

Without seeing the system it's hard to say though ,thats all I can say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

No, no non return valves. I might swap the pump around or something.

Thanks all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

nulabert wrote: »
    No, no non return valves. I might swap the pump around or something.

Thanks all the same
    I wasn't asking ,I was suggesting.

Thats normally what happens when someone branches in on the wrong point of the heating system.
    And I have to fix it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

nulabert wrote: »
    Hello,
    Is the return the bottom of the boiler and the feed the top? I'm confused, but i'll keep plugging away!

Just to answer your specific question - the return is to the bottom of the boiler and the flow is out the top.
    Jim.

Thanks Jim for that. I changed the pump to return into the boiler at the bottom. Its working grand, but the upstairs in the house won't work. Maybe i'll put another pump in the house in series with the boiler pump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

If the pump is on the return; but turned the wrong way; this can happen only the downstairs getting hot

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

on the pump there is an arrow indicating direction of flow. Water flows out of the boiler through the top pipe, flow and back through the return,. bottom. If you have the pump on the flow the arrow should be pointing away from the boiler (pulling water from boiler) and if pump is on the return the arrow should point toward boiler (pumping water through the boiler). If you are not getting heat upstairs a simple thing like an air lock will do it.
    when heating is up and running, turn off all rads that get hot to encourage pump to pump hot water upstairs.

Best of luck

Thanks for all your help lads. In the end, i put a second pump on the return line in series. One pump is up the garden in the boiler house and the new pump is in the hot press in the house. Thats solved the problem!:)

Advertisement