Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I teach grinds...

Options
  • 13-09-2008 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi all,
    not sure if this is in the right section (mods feel free to move), but I did the LC last year and got my college place. During the summer I worked in a school book shop locally. Now starting college and as everyone has their books by this time there is very little work for me, however I still need the money, big time!!! :eek: :)

I'm thinking about teaching grinds in Physics, as I got an A2 at higher level. Wondering if this would be an acceptable standard to teach grinds to people? Would you as a LC student go to someone who just finished LC? Just wanted some opinions before I posted in the grinds listings on here.

Btw ill be studying physics and chem at college.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Being good at something doesn't mean you'll be good at teaching it.
    How about starting off giving someone help with JC Maths? Get some experience teaching what to you will be very basic material before going on to the more complicated stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cf_al_bs

spurious wrote: »
    Being good at something doesn't mean you'll be good at teaching it.
    How about starting off giving someone help with JC Maths? Get some experience teaching what to you will be very basic material before going on to the more complicated stuff.

That's good advice. Not sure how good I'd be at maths. Most ppl who are good at physics are good at maths. I'm not really, tho the physics maths was grand, its just formulas and subbing in values.

I used to help my friends when they were stuck or couldn't understand something, so I figure this would be similar but I'd be getting paid! lol! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I taught grinds this year after I got my BA, I don't think I would've had the confidence/balls to do them before that though. Another thing to consider is I don't think you would get more that 10/15 quid an hour for grinds, being a first year and all.

I taught grinds this year after I got my BA, I don't think I would've had the confidence/balls to do them before that though. Another thing to consider is I don't think you would get more that 10/15 quid an hour for grinds, being a first year and all.

hmmm... yeah. well id be willing to do them for that rate. its just a bit of extra money on the side, cause i can see my summer savings running out by christmas with commuter tickets and the like. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

cf_al_bs wrote: »
    That's good advice. Not sure how good I'd be at maths. Most ppl who are good at physics are good at maths. I'm not really, tho the physics maths was grand, its just formulas and subbing in values.

I used to help my friends when they were stuck or couldn't understand something, so I figure this would be similar but I'd be getting paid! lol! :p

Maybe try grinds in JC Science instead of maths then if you don't feel confident enough about it. As was already said, it's a whole different ball game being good at a subject and teaching it, you really do need to know the material/course/background inside out to be able to answer questions for a student.

If you were to give maths grinds you could always start with Ordinary Level JC maths, it would be basic enough.

• Advertisement

Maybe try grinds in JC Science instead of maths then if you don't feel confident enough about it. As was already said, it's a whole different ball game being good at a subject and teaching it, you really do need to know the material/course/background inside out to be able to answer questions for a student.

If you were to give maths grinds you could always start with Ordinary Level JC maths, it would be basic enough.

hmmm... ya jc science & jc ol maths might be a good way to go. thanks. would take me a few weeks to get back in tune with them, would have to buy a book or two as well. also think i was the last year to do the unrevised science jc course. They do a project now or something?

hmmm... ya jc science & jc ol maths might be a good way to go. thanks. would take me a few weeks to get back in tune with them, would have to buy a book or two as well. also think i was the last year to do the unrevised science jc course. They do a project now or something?

Yes, there is a project consisting of two experiments on the new syllabus, but this is all done in school and isn't on the exam so it wouldn't really be an issue for grinds. maybe get hold of a book and a set of exam papers for each course and see what topics are on... exam papers and marking schemes are available on www.examinations.ie

also if you are in college and your college has a HDip course/teacher training course, it's possible that some of those books are in the college library that you could take them out and see if it's worth your while before you buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

You could try maybe helping out somebody you know like a younger relative or somebody a little bit to see if you like the teaching side of it before offering proper paying grinds. I wish I would have the patience to do it but I know I probably wouldn't :rolleyes:

Yes, there is a project consisting of two experiments on the new syllabus, but this is all done in school and isn't on the exam so it wouldn't really be an issue for grinds. maybe get hold of a book and a set of exam papers for each course and see what topics are on... exam papers and marking schemes are available on www.examinations.ie

also if you are in college and your college has a HDip course/teacher training course, it's possible that some of those books are in the college library that you could take them out and see if it's worth your while before you buy them

thanks for the info. thats good to know that i can avoid the project area. I'm going to trinity, not sure if they will have them, but i work in a bookshop which sells school books so i can have a nose in them whenever i get some hours. (school rush is over now :( the reason why im looking for more money.)
    jennyq wrote: »
    You could try maybe helping out somebody you know like a younger relative or somebody a little bit to see if you like the teaching side of it before offering proper paying grinds. I wish I would have the patience to do it but I know I probably wouldn't :rolleyes:

thats the thing i dont really know anyone personally. im the youngest in the family (including extended). :( patience was something i learned this summer when dealing with customers! lol :D

http://www.tcd.ie/Library/resources/index.php

This is the online library catalogue for trinity, you could do a couple of searches there for junior cert maths and science books and see if they have them but as you work in a book shop it shouldn't be a problem

• Advertisement

http://www.tcd.ie/Library/resources/index.php

This is the online library catalogue for trinity, you could do a couple of searches there for junior cert maths and science books and see if they have them but as you work in a book shop it shouldn't be a problem

nice one thanks! im after looking up a few maths books. they have the concise maths series but they only have the text & tests books 'as Gaeilge'! lol! :D
    cant remember the names of any of the jc science books but ill take a look in work and see.
    browsing through the jc science paper now. chem and physics seem grand, can answer most q's off the top of my head. but biology needs some rooting in the marking scheme! hehe! what u get when u dont think about it for 3 years. :D

btw prob should have mentioned that im very much considering going into teaching after my course (doing a HDip).

maybe i could do an offer? lol! get your first grind free? if ur not satisfied u wont have lost anything! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Kind of in the same situation, except I did the LC this year and only turned 17 in May. :o I got my older sister through LC ordinary maths when I was in 3rd year and she was repeating it for matriculation, and am always helping my younger sister and friends with maths. I seem to be pretty good at teaching it and I really like helping people but I dunno if it'd count for much. I'd be more than happy with €8.65/hour + bus fare but is that enough to be competitive? Or will the graduate charging €30/hour win every time? Is there room in the market for someone younger than most 6th years who did TY? I take it most people getting maths grinds are doing LC OL?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

ok so say i do JC maths & science grinds, how much could i get away with charging? lol! :p Would 10euro/hour be reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah 10/hour would be fine, the standard rate is about 25/hour but seeing a you're only out of the LC €10 would probably be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sheroo_05

I did my LC last year and also repeated it this year. Both years i got an A1 in maths and I've been giving LCH maths grinds over the summer and got paid €25/an hour nd a half.

I am going to TCD in Oct and hoping to give maths/phy/chem/bio grinds for the same price...

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

thanks for the info. thats good to know that i can avoid the project area. I'm going to trinity, not sure if they will have them, but i work in a bookshop which sells school books so i can have a nose in them whenever i get some hours. (school rush is over now :( the reason why im looking for more money.)

Lolz finding the books at tcd won't be a problem they have everything, literally. lucky so and so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go for €20 and following your students' good results in the exam put it up to €25 next year.
    A qualified teacher could easily demand €40.

20/hr would be nice. would only need two or three students a week to have a decent enough income without using too much free time.
    interesting... ;)
    thanks all for advice, ill sit on this a bit longer and may post in the grinds listings on here.

You see you might just be in front of the students for an hour, but you may well have spent another two to three hours preparing, working out solutions, different ways of showing them how to do things.

€20 per hour in front of the students could be less than minimum wage when you work out all the time that actually went into that hour long session.

I hope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    You see you might just be in front of the students for an hour, but you may well have spent another two to three hours preparing, working out solutions, different ways of showing them how to do things.

€20 per hour in front of the students could be less than minimum wage when you work out all the time that actually went into that hour long session.

I hope it goes well for you.

it may be less than minimum wage but ive got virtual no hours at work at the mo. so its better than nothing. :D

thanks mate. :)

Advertisement