Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

windows vista 64 bit query

• 13-09-2008 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

howdy folks

have a laptop that came with vista home premium installed, and has an intel 8100T core 2 duo chip.. it states that it supports 64bit os..

how do i get my hands on the 64 bit install disc, and how much does it cost to upgrade from 32bit to 64....

does 64 bit run faster than 32 bit?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

MS will send you a vista dvd with x64 on it for summet like €10. Don't have the link handy but it was on a thread here in Windows a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

You can't upgrade a such, you'd need to reinstall the OS.

64bit runs things faster but only if the software was designed for 64bit. 64bit will run 32bit programs but you won't see any increase in performance over a 32bit OS. You'd have to research whether it's worth it for you.

Main reason people are currently getting 64bit is that it can address(use) more than 4gb of ram. Most software is still written for 32bit.

Only you can decide whether or not it's worth the upgrade.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you have any printers , scanners or other peripherals check that you can get drivers for them, though with vista it should be easier than with XP 64 bit

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

would 64bit be any good for games? and would the operating system be faster in general if your using a 64 bit cpu

Very few games support 64bit, most just run as 32bit.

I haven't noticed much of a speed increase in windows etc but i've been using 64bit for years so i'm probably not the best person to answer that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

I wouldnt bother unless you want to use the 4gigs+ of ram you have. Its the only reason to go 64bit really. Most software will run but getting drivers for stuff is tricky.

Unless you have some old printer/scanner etc that you need to use then drivers really aren't a problem.

That said i'd still make sure that all the drivers you need are out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rasmasyean

what_car wrote: »

does 64 bit run faster than 32 bit?

cheers

What are the advantages of 64-bit computing?
    In early testing of 64-bit support in Photoshop for Windows®, overall performance gains ranged from 8% to 12%. Those who work with extremely large files may realize noticeably greater gains in performance, in some cases as dramatic as ten times the previous speed. This is because 64-bit applications can address larger amounts of memory and thus result in less file swapping — one of the biggest factors that can affect data processing speed.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/faq/?promoid=DRHXB

Advertisement