Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband recommendations in Dublin

Options
  • 14-09-2008 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have recently moved to the centre of town and am without a decent broadband connection. I don't have an active phone line so I was thinking of getting something like clear wire. Does anybody use this or recommend any other providers? I just need a reliable connection that won't disconnect or anything while playing poker.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

i think i used clear wire before, but i can't remember the price, need it again soon actually so any info would be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

o2 mobile bb. €20 a month, very fast and reliable. Cant recomend enough

o2 mobile bb. €20 a month, very fast and reliable. Cant recomend enough

is that for your phone or for the computer or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭digiman

DeadMoney wrote: »
    I just need a reliable connection that won't disconnect or anything while playing poker.
    Cheers

Do not get Clearwire or any other type of wireless broadband (this includes O2, Vodafone, 3) if you want a reliable connection as they will just disconnect way to often and ping times on them will be really really bad which is very important for online poker. If you can get NTL I would recommend that as you don't need a phone line for this either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

digiman wrote: »
    Do not get Clearwire or any other type of wireless broadband (this includes O2, Vodafone, 3) if you want a reliable connection as they will just disconnect way to often and ping times on them will be really really bad which is very important for online poker. If you can get NTL I would recommend that as you don't need a phone line for this either.

Yeah if you can get NTL go for it. Very little down time and great connections. The only down times I have experienced is or was due to the whole UPC change over server thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Don't get Clearwire.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

digiman wrote: »

this.

how do you get NTL without a phoneline?

Are there installation charges etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

how do you get NTL without a phoneline?

Are there installation charges etc?

Cable. If you have the NTL cable TV then the line is there. No need for a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Yeah I'm in the same boat. So the O2 mobile broadband is no good for poker then????

We have no cable or no phone line in our new gaf so what do I do?

• Advertisement

TommyGunne wrote: »
    Yeah I'm in the same boat. So the O2 mobile broadband is no good for poker then????

there were 10 of us in a house in 2nd year, and we had clearwire, its grand for everythign else.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭thechamp87

I just got Eircom bb in my apartment but obv you need a phone line. I also have a Vodafone wireless connection for my laptop which is €29.99 pm and I have never had any problems on any poker software. I would definitely recommend this. It's very handy as it can be used anywhere that there is vodafone signal. I think Phantom_Lord recommended it when I was asking about bb about a year ago. Also, I hear the vodafone one is far, far better than O2 and 3.

I'd def recommend the Vodafone one. Never had any problems. They give you a 14 day money back trial so nothing to lose really. I doubt you will have problems.

is that for your phone or for the computer or both?

Computer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

I've heard mixed reviews about clear wire from people before. Maybe it depends on where exactly you are located. I'm not too bothered about download speeds or anything, just as long as the connection is solid. I believe you can try out most of the mobile broadband devices for like 14 days and get your money back if you are not happy within this time. I might check it out and see how it goes. Has anybody had any experience with the 3 network broadband?

So the O2 mobile broadband is no good for poker then????

Yes it is
    thechamp87 wrote: »
    Also, I hear the vodafone one is far, far better than O2 and 3.

3 is ****e, vodafone is €30 a month with 5 gig cap, o2 is €20 a month with 10 gig cap. o2 by far the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Dam it, just read on o2's website that you have to sign an 18 month contract to get it for 20 euro per month.

3 is ****e, vodafone is €30 a month with 5 gig cap, o2 is €20 a month with 10 gig cap. o2 by far the best.

You will never, ever reach a 5gig cap playing poker. I suppose it is a matter of opinion but a friend of mine who lives nearby tried the o2 one and got disconnected regularly. Personally, I think vodafone is a better network. Also, €10 extra per month is pennies in terms of the amount of times you will avoid being disconnected in pots. I can honestly say I didnt once get disconnected while using the vodafone wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

DeadMoney wrote: »
    I've heard mixed reviews about clear wire from people before. Maybe it depends on where exactly you are located. I'm not too bothered about download speeds or anything, just as long as the connection is solid. I believe you can try out most of the mobile broadband devices for like 14 days and get your money back if you are not happy within this time. I might check it out and see how it goes. Has anybody had any experience with the 3 network broadband?

I briefly used 3 mobile broadband, didn't use it much for poker but I think it would be suitable as I practically never got disconnected.

Not sure how reliable the connection is on the go, I left the antenna in the same place the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

thechamp87 wrote: »
    I just got Eircom bb in my apartment but obv you need a phone line. I also have a Vodafone wireless connection for my laptop which is €29.99 pm and I have never had any problems on any poker software. I would definitely recommend this. It's very handy as it can be used anywhere that there is vodafone signal. I think Phantom_Lord recommended it when I was asking about bb about a year ago. Also, I hear the vodafone one is far, far better than O2 and 3.

yeah i used the vodaphone 3g modem for poker for a few months w/o any problems, and the download speeds were fairly good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Stoko

www.UPC.ie (NTL) won award for best broadband provider in Ireland.

I haven't got any problems with their broadband. They have 20Mb residential broadbnad and it is fast!

I have setup VoIP number aswell (with freespeech.ie) and my total expeses for broadband and fone are minimal + good quality. I would recommend them.

I also had Eircom togather with the NTL interent. Eircom worked very stable aswell but lower speed. Was extremely stable though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

I use the 3G mobile broadband thing, is pretty poor in general but fine for playing poker.

Never disconnects but it not particularly fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

with no landline and cable....... I'd definitely recommend trying one of the 3G options - 3, O2 or Vodafone

They have monthly options so you don't have to signup to a 12 or 18 month contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

a friend of mine has been using 3 and he swears by it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Moved from Poker to Broadband, you'll get even better replies in the BB forum.

Advertisement