Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ribbon of life

Options
  • 14-09-2008 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

This popped into my mailbox a few days ago, I ended up watching it last night, and loved it.

What really fascinated me was how the eco-systems regenerated themselves from utter destruction after volcanic events, every 10 years or so, spontaneous life?

It could go (and some think it does) a long way to explaining just exactly where life originated on this planet.

Just thought I'd share it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Thanks,
    David Gallo has some more amazing videos on that site. The one with the octopus changing color and texture?

Not a mention the talk by "our glorious leader" Prof. Rancid Dark Wish. ;)

I think the title is unfortunate though, ribbon describes the way the mountain range circles the earth rather than some cyclical pattern of life.
    It certainly does illustrate the cyclical nature of the biology on the planet. I don't think it's a solid case for spontaneous life as yet. Interesting though that there were none of the things we associate with life on dry land. Photosynthesis, light etc.

More TED talks please!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Mena wrote: »
    What really fascinated me was how the eco-systems regenerated themselves from utter destruction after volcanic events, every 10 years or so, spontaneous life?

It could go (and some think it does) a long way to explaining just exactly where life originated on this planet.

Not exactly. The ecosystems are regenerated from pre-existing life. Either the destruction is not total or life enters from the periphery. We've yet to witness a new abiogenesis event, though it would be a great feather in the cap for biologists if we did. Mind you, if we ever do witness evidence of such an event, I would imagine that this would be one of the most likely places to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Not exactly. The ecosystems are regenerated from pre-existing life. Either the destruction is not total or life enters from the periphery. We've yet to witness a new abiogenesis event, though it would be a great feather in the cap for biologists if we did. Mind you, if we ever do witness evidence of such an event, I would imagine that this would be one of the most likely places to find it.

Indeed. It is possible that these simple bacteria are the direct relatives of the very ones that started it all, going from strength to strength for billions of years. The taught is very humbling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

studiorat wrote: »
    David Gallo has some more amazing videos on that site. The one with the octopus changing color and texture?
    I've seen that one - it's amazing!

Will watch this one tomorrow in work. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

"...You could never get a permit to dump this stuff in the sea... " :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement