Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is (was) The Story With The Asgard II

• 14-09-2008 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭

I noticed that everyone doing the training were relatively young and still inschool/ collge. I had had the impression that the Asgard was a boat designated for training for those wanting to go for a career in sailing.

It looks as if it is provided by the Government and anyone can take up the opportunity to have gone on it.

Assuming, it is replacedI was interested in knowing how it is arranged, how much it is to go on it and how do you apply.

Also, are the trainers permanent or are they changed from outing to outing?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

The asgard is a boat designed for anyone who wants the expirience, it tends to be more younger people however, as sailing interests them for some reason more, however, on that ill fated voyage, their was older people, up to mid 60's!

If you go onto the asgard site www.asgard2.ie and click on programme 2008 in the top right corner, there is a list of this years programmes and prices, or what they would have been before it sank!

There are 5 pernament crew onboard, these generally dont change about from voyage to voyage, unless someone leaves the job or whatever!

Heres hoping she can be raised or a replacement found asap! Anymore questions just shout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

What a national loss! Thousands must have been introduced to sailing and teamwork on her.

The registered owner is our illustrious minister for defence. The scheme was administered by a board of nautical / yachting enthusiasts with training credentials.

Unless she was very well insured and didnt hit something submerged (per ahem ...The Herald) methinks, in this economic climate, we will be waiting a long while for a replacement .

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

RTE seemed to be interviewing all the teenage girls, but I was on the same flight as most of those trainees going over to Cornwall the week before, and there were at least five of them who were well over 20, all the way up to probably 60s. I was talking to some of them about it and the anticipation of getting on board was really palpable, both first-timers and people returning. Such a shame that it ended so badly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Kareir

timmywex wrote: »
    Heres hoping she can be raised or a replacement found asap!

Replacements would be hard to find, and even harder to find cheap.

To be honest, the best option is to bring it up before it suffers serious damage down there. I cant remember the exact depth, but it was pretty deep, too deep for air divers. Probably have to use the "robot" suits.
    Of course, getting it up will be easier if it just settled flat on the bottom, if not, it'll be slightly harder...

_Kar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

It really varied from voyage to voyage, but for my trip last July out of the 19 of us there were 10 between 16-18, 5 in their mid-late 20's, 3 in their low-mid 30's, and one in his late 50's.

Of course that took place during school holidays so naturally for her last voyage there wouldn't have been that many under the age of 18 since they'd all be just back in school

• Advertisement
Advertisement