Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenhouse in corner of garden

Options
  • 14-09-2008 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for any thoughts on this, please!

I've cleared a corner of my garden for a small greenhouse. Basic unattractive walls on two sides and there will be a gap of about 18 inches between the end of the greenhouse and the wall behind it.

First question:
    Should I paint the walls white to increase brightness within the greenhouse?
    I'd like the end product to be somewhat aesthetically pleasing, so I'm temped to either paint it a good mossy green or line the walls with those bamboo panels.

Second question:
    The gap between the end of the greenhouse and the wall worries me. I assume it'll quickly fill up with ivy and/or other problems and it'll be pretty unaccessible once the gh is in place.

Any suggestions and advice will be most welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

hey,

hard to know what walls you have , if you can post some pics of your garden then i might be better to advise you. I moved into a house with a 2.2m high wall built in the back garden, perfect hight for a lean too greenhouse., a bit of 2x4 treated timber, some brilliant 10mm twinwall polycarbonate for roof and windows and heypresto, one damn fine greenhouse.

i still have tomatoes ripening, and have had since june!!! i think its the combination of the walls retaing heat and the insulating properties of the PC, but compared to friends glass houses, their fruit is till green and still hasnt yielded any substantial amount, i could filla saucepan ever 4 days, amazing:D:D

21/05

21052008980.jpg

27/07
    130720081186.jpg

i planted these ildi variety, wee yellow fruit tomatoes, and they were unbelievable!!!:eek: tons of fruit, like seriously, tons. well nice, like the small cherry tom, only yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It depends on which direction the wall is facing. Painting the wall white would only really be beneficial if it faced North. Why do you think an 18" gap would be inaccessible, do you mean to a mower or such? You could always concrete it over which would give access for cleaning glass etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Bmaxi is right it depends on the amount of sun the corner gets.
    It might be cheaper if you get a lean to greenhouse. You will also save space. The support wall will hold the heat and the greenhouse will be warmer at night and during the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Wreckless, just an observation - I believe that normally you cannot build any structure in your garden where you use a communal dividing wall as one supporting wall of the structure.

I understand that your structure is a temporary greenhouse made of wood and plastic (and might I say it looks like it's doing a cracking job :D ) but just to point out that if your neighbours were mean, they could possibly make you take it down.

(I'm open to correction on this regarding any loopholes for temporary structures and such like.)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

oh yeah?

1st i heard really. well, the walls its built against are mine. i built them, plastered them and when the neighbours were asked for a small contribution, no go. even tho they has agreed in principle in the beginning. ah well, im not bothered or bitter.

the gh gets sun all day long, is well warm even today seen as we are getting some good weather:D:D

polycarbobate is a great material, super insulation, strong, 10 times stronger than glass, easily cleaned etc. i wud definitely recommend it

g

• Advertisement
Advertisement