Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting but not dying.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Seifer wrote: »
    The cool thing about CoD4 is that it has rolling spawn points so as enemies push forward you'll spawn in a different location. A nice feature that prevents spawn camping nubs ;)

YOu can tell where they will spawn and not all maps have that. Pretty easy to airstrike a moving spawn place even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

YOu can tell where they will spawn and not all maps have that.
    Yes they do. Most of the maps have a nice cyclic spawning that occurs throughout a match e.g. crash or backlot, where as some have a more polar approach that will flip the spawn ends if one side becomes over run e.g. downpour.
    Pretty easy to airstrike a moving spawn place even.
    I didn't say it wasn't. I was addressing spawn camping.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think the spawn points in COD4 is one of the biggest problems in the game. Fixed spawn points belong in yesteryear - you should intelligently spawn near your team (like BF2 does) or on some totally random spot on FFA. Fixed spawn points just means Spawn Rape and it's as much the games fault as the people playing. It probably my biggest problem with the game.

As for guns, I find myself using the AK a lot after a big stint of Carbine and G36 before that. I also take the 3 Frag, Slight of Hand and Deep Impact perks. I dunno why, but I have this awful habbit of wanting to be fully loaded at all times :) I'll tend to pick up any SMG's I come across along the way (in exchange for my Desert Eagle) for closer range stuff.

Kharn wrote:
    I think the spawn points in COD4 is one of the biggest problems in the game. Fixed spawn points belong in yesteryear - you should intelligently spawn near your team (like BF2 does) or on some totally random spot on FFA.
    What game mode are you talking about? And what platform?
    On team deathmatch on the pc the spawn points are not fixed and work as I described above.

PC for me. Seems to be set spawn points from what I can tell, certainly on FFA where Spawn Rape is rampant (every try FFA on Shipment? Disasterous)

• Advertisement

On FFA you will not spawn in the same place each time. The game will try and spawn you away from other players. Shipment is tiny so maybe you're just getting the impression that it's fixed.

No, it's the same 8 or 10 spots that you spawn in, I'm 100% certain of that. Have noticed it too on all the maps. There's a finite number of spawn points per map and whilst it will try and spawn you away from the action, it shouldn't be an issue at all, it should pick a random spot on the map and drop you there (or beside your team mates in a team based game)

Kharn wrote:
    No, it's the same 8 or 10 spots that you spawn in, I'm 100% certain of that.
    There are more than that but I'm sure you're probably right. However I can't see how that's a problem since you can't actually determine where someone will spawn? And they won't keep spawning in the same spot over and over. So if you kill them by waiting at one point they can just throw a nade over to where you're camping when they spawn next.
    Fixed spawn points implies somewhere to camp e.g. Team Fortress 2.
    Dropping you randomly would be dumb cause you could just spawn on a nade or in the middle of a battle. There have to be rules as to where and when you can spawn.
    In team games you will most likely spawn near your team but a safe distance from "the front".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I always kick ass on Creek with the M16 with double tap, and Deep impact with acog scope.
    Also.. I have an M4 / Dragunof setup that works very well on overgrown.
    Close quarters : Shotgun & G36C with Grenade launcher. (What a weapon!!!) Works on most maps.

For Seifer:
    On a busy game, there will be spawn campers. It's laziness in the game programmers that allows this. I am opposed to this sort of laziness especially when other games do it properly.

For Tallus:
    Grenade launcher - aka n00b cannon :) I don't bother with it anymore cause I'm a reasonable judge of distance etc with grenades (nearly always have 3XFrag perk).

For lulz:
    Total cheese setup: P90 with deep impact and stopping power :D Drives people nuts on FFA

• Advertisement

Your observations are bizarre and are most likely related to you not being very good. You can't camp spawn in CoD4 as there is no fixed spawn point on any map.
    The programmers are not lazy as they have created an algorithm that finds a safe spot for you to spawn that isn't too far from a battle. The fact these spots are fixed spots does not make a fixed spawn point as the spawning cycles through them depending on enemy locations.
    And it's n00b tube.

Kharn wrote: »
    For Seifer:
    For Tallus:
    Grenade launcher - aka n00b cannon :) I don't bother with it anymore cause I'm a reasonable judge of distance etc with grenades (nearly always have 3XFrag perk).

Awww but the Grenade launcher gives way more range, and it feels so good to kill someone on the other side of a map with it. I can never do that by throwing grenades.
    I know it's called the n00btube but I don't care! I have prestiged 3 times and I still love using it!

kluivert wrote: »
    Picked that up from a guide, I dont its fair either really.

CoD 4 is a great game, getting a bit bored of playing the same maps all the time. Have only ever played wetworks twice. Always seem to play countdown, i think thats what its called.

You should try Domination, it's a fun game and you gain more points by capturing flags than you do for killing people.

Seifer: I guess we have differing standards :) It's not something that stops me playing the game daily, but something I personally find irritating. I'm not sure what game you're playing, but on the 2 or 3 50 man games I was playing last night, there were spawn campers (FFA and TDM). I get what you're saying that it's not like you spawn at point X or Y at certain times or in a certain rotation, but the fact that the spawn point locations are geographically in the same place all the time on the map (the number of them varies from map to map of course) is what's bugging me. Yes it will try to spawn you at a safe point, but there's very little you can do if someone's got a sniper rifle pointed at the spot your head will appear when you do respawn. There's no amount of skill can save you from that. Even if they spawned you within a 3 metre radius of the point it'd cut out a lot of this nonsense.

Also to kluivert, I give a +1 to tallus' suggestion for Domination (and maybe HQ) as a great way to get the XP built up quickly whilst you learn the game. Your team will get XP whilst you hold the points without you having to do much, so concentrate on not dying and learning your way around the maps by following your team mates. Great way to learn the game. You'll pick up plenty of assists and maybe even mop up any stragglers along the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Your observations are bizarre and are most likely related to you not being very good. You can't camp spawn in CoD4 as there is no fixed spawn point on any map.
    The programmers are not lazy as they have created an algorithm that finds a safe spot for you to spawn that isn't too far from a battle. The fact these spots are fixed spots does not make a fixed spawn point as the spawning cycles through them depending on enemy locations.
    And it's n00b tube.

You most certainly can camp spawn in COD4. Sure the points are rolling but that doesn't mean you're not going to pick up a few easy kills if you've patience. e.g. on bog set yourself up by the wall next to the chain link fence with a sniper rifle, you've got a view now on the spawn point across the map. On downpour: positioned almost directly under the fixed gun on the grassy/mud side of the map- if you circle the building with a shotgun you can cause carnage. On wetwork: 3 grenade perk and time it after a few kills, release watch the +10 show up. Countdown: sniper rifle, top of fueltruck+view of hangar=pwnage. etc. etc.

Once you've a good feel to the game you can easily abuse the rolling spawn point. I'm also under the impression that the spawing algorithm was changed in last few months (xbox), as i've seen a significant rise in spawning right next to an enemy.

Kharn wrote:
    I'm not sure what game you're playing, but on the 2 or 3 50 man games I was playing last night

See that's part of the problem, you're playing with a number of players that the maps were never designed for. Yes they support it but there is no way for the game to find a safe place for you to spawn with so many people on the map.
    I usually play 24 man-ish team deathmatch.
    Kharn wrote:
    but there's very little you can do if someone's got a sniper rifle pointed at the spot your head will appear when you do respawn. There's no amount of skill can save you from that.

No there's not. However you can watch the killcam and when you spawn next go pick up a free kill from the camper.
    Saying that, it's not something I have ever noticed as a problem in CoD4.
    Countdown: sniper rifle, top of fueltruck+view of hangar=pwnage. etc. etc.
    To your other camping examples, the person camping will most likely be seen by someone else i.e. not someone spawning at their target point and so won't be able to stay in the same spot for long.
    To the example I quoted, if you go on top of those trucks you will be killed so fast you won't get time to go prone. I suppose it all depends on the level of the servers you play on though.

To your other camping examples, the person camping will most likely be seen by someone else i.e. not someone spawning at their target point and so won't be able to stay in the same spot for long.
    To the example I quoted, if you go on top of those trucks you will be killed so fast you won't get time to go prone. I suppose it all depends on the level of the servers you play on though.

Perhaps Spawn camping is the wrong term here, as i'd rarely (sniping excluded) be staying stationary. 'Spawn exploiting' would be more apt-not that i'd do it you understand:D.

As for your point about dying, whether you last 10 seconds or the go the entire match without being killed it's still an abuse of the spawn points.

Also, you should be able to last a decent while on top of the fueltrucks if you're anyway good. Only use the scope when you're going to pull the trigger, scan left and right constantly and you'll easily see anyone approaching. Smoke grenades are also a must if you fail to kill incoming targets. For example, my last match in countdown on the two trucks went somewhere around 16-2. I love my m40 and stopping power.

Also, you should be able to last a decent while on top of the fueltrucks if you're anyway good. ... Smoke grenades are also a must if you fail to kill incoming targets.
    You are so exposed on top of them it's unreal. People can see you from the other side of the map. You will die fast. (If you're playing against competant players).
    Your secondary grenade should never be anything but a stun with the exception of clan matches where there is a use for smoke.

Yea, +1 on the stun IMO. You also make a fair point about the number of players on a server, but sometimes you just fancy a big ol mosh :) I mostly play COD4 for lulz, not involved in a clan.

You are so exposed on top of them it's unreal. People can see you from the other side of the map. You will die fast. (If you're playing against competant players).
    Your secondary grenade should never be anything but a stun with the exception of clan matches where there is a use for smoke.

They may see you, but you can also easily see them; provided that you're not staring down the scope the whole time that is. Also, with the m40 and stopping power you have the range to get in first with a one shot kill. I'm amazed about your comments on smoke grenades. Stun grenades are useless with a sniper setup, the only time a sniper should be using grenades is when an enemy gets the upper hand, get too close (200 yards in)and you're forced on the defensive, popping smoke to get away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement