Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken sewer drains leaking under house

• 14-09-2008 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with broken pipes sewer pipes leaking under the foundations of the house. There is some cracking in the pavement and a small gap (1 cm or so) has opened up between the base of the house and the foundations. There is no visible cracking in the house itself. The house was built in the early 1970's.

Most of the problem is a pipe running along the side of the house, which has a concrete path on top of it. I have 2 questions :

1. How much is it likely to cost to fix this problem?
    2. Will insurance cover it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

professore wrote: »
    I have a problem with broken pipes sewer pipes leaking under the foundations of the house. There is some cracking in the pavement and a small gap (1 cm or so) has opened up between the base of the house and the foundations. There is no visible cracking in the house itself. The house was built in the early 1970's.

Most of the problem is a pipe running along the side of the house, which has a concrete path on top of it. I have 2 questions :

1. How much is it likely to cost to fix this problem?
    2. Will insurance cover it?
    No idea as to the cost. get someone local to have a physical and detailed examination of the problem and give you an estimate.

You will need to check the terms of your insurance policy. I doubt if they will pay unless you can demonstrate that it was due to subsidence and even if you do you may face a substantial rise in your premiums if they think that your house may be at risk to subsidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jjahbss

Your insurance policy will cover all the damage caused by the escape of water from the sewer, which may well include structural damage to your house. The maintenance of the drains is viewed as your own responsibility, however any underpinning work and reinstatement, crack repair and redecoration will be covered by your policy.

Most house insurance policies cover damage due to an escape of water, and some will cover subsidence. An escape of water, e.g. from drains, is very often a cause of structural movement and cracking in the walls of buildings. Dangers to your property for which you are insured are known as Insured Perils, and once an Insured Peril has operated you can invoke the coverage of your policy.

You need an engineer to process your claim, so do a search for 'subsidence engineer in cork or dublin' and you should find what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Thanks guys for the help. We are in the process of making a claim and will let you know how it goes.

Advertisement