Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite book of all time (or just at the moment)

Options
  • 14-09-2008 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Although I can't really decide on just one book, I've read so many great ones, but I just finished Candide by Voltaire and I can't help but lov the way the guy writes. It is so direct and still has a poetic side to it. Anyne know if there are any books that come close to it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

Finnegans Wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Douglas Coupland's Microserfs is always up there for me.
    Or anything by Haruki Murakami'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

''The Jester'' by James Patterson & Andrew Gross

I read it a few years ago and fell in love with it, so have decided to read it again and am currently 100 pages in! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I'm not proud, but Stephen King's Bachman Books. I have 3 editions of it in various places, and every now and then, I crack it and read The Long Walk again. I rarely bother with the other 3, to be honest, I think I've read Running Man once, but The Long Walk is practically a book in itself, right? Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

+1
    I regulary profess that East of Eden by Steinbeck is my favourite book, but the book i've read more than any other is SK 'The Stand '.:o I have read it seven or eight times now and love it, so maybe the shoud be my favourite. The long Walk is also an amazing read.

I guess I reallly don't have a favourite book, it changes on a regular basis, depending what mood i'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Bongomc

'Digital Fortress' by Dan Brown. I've read it a few times now and it's still a great read

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I read it over the summer and I enjoyed every single page (although I did struggle during the monologue!). It's a very inspirational and thought- provoking book. I think about the themes and plot quite a bit. I can't imagine another book being more epic than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Bongomc wrote: »
    'Digital Fortress' by Dan Brown. I've read it a few times now and it's still a great read

I agree here. I'm a huge fan of Dan Brown. I prefer "Angels & Demons" from amongst his works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Valmont wrote: »
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I read it over the summer and I enjoyed every single page (although I did struggle during the monologue!). It's a very inspirational and thought- provoking book. I think about the themes and plot quite a bit. I can't imagine another book being more epic than this one.

The Fountainhead is brilliant too. I think it'd be a toss up between them for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fixiepixie

fav book of all time well i love classics so gotta b wuthering heights (bronte) and 1984 (george orwell)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

The Bourne Trillogy - By Robert Ludlum...... infinitely better than the movies.... and i loved the movies!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Tess of the d'Urbervilles

Though I've probably read Mr Tickle more than any other book - it's a gripping read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Cool thread
    Just finished tender is that night - and up there with one of my favorites ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings.

Was given the Hobbit by my dad when I was 7 and he started to notice I was a bookish type. He loved it and wanted to share it with me, I fell in love with it and it cemented my love of books.

After I finished that he gave me Lord of the Rings, which it took me about six months to read (with constant reference to my dictionary).

I still read it once every few years, just at the right time when it is just getting old enough in my memory for it to be epic and engross me again. Tis still the same copy I was given all those years ago too, very much a prized personal of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

orestes wrote: »
    The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings.

Was given the Hobbit by my dad when I was 7 and he started to notice I was a bookish type. He loved it and wanted to share it with me, I fell in love with it and it cemented my love of books.

That is exactly the same situation that got me into reading. My dad gave me his copy of the hobbit when I was 9 or so and when my parents realised I loved it, my mom started buying me fantasy type books every few weeks. I completely believe that fostering my love of reading in this way was the most important thing my parents did for me as a child. I read Lord of the Rings when I was 11 and I loved it. I've moved away from the fantasy genre since then but I always keep saying I'll go back and read Lord of the Rings. It's just so darn big!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

corblimey wrote: »
    I'm not proud, but Stephen King's Bachman Books. I have 3 editions of it in various places, and every now and then, I crack it and read The Long Walk again. I rarely bother with the other 3, to be honest, I think I've read Running Man once, but The Long Walk is practically a book in itself, right? Right?

Have you read Blaze? its one of the Bachman books and very good in my opinion, albeit not what you would expect from King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

ice 9 by kurt vonnengut (spl?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭greenapplesea

The Catcher in the Rye or To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Love Gloria Naylor too (she's not that popular this side of the world) and am going through my 7th Jodi Picoult book at the moment (a phase)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Many years ago I feel in love with Trevanians Summer of Katya. It's only 200 pages if I remember correctly but something about it really caught my imagination.
    Pat McCabes The Dead School is another favourite which I keep going back to.
    Right now I am reading John McGaherns That They May Face The Rising Sun, an absolutely beautiful book which I cannot recommend highly enough.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hermy wrote: »
    Right now I am reading John McGaherns That They May Face The Rising Sun, an absolutely beautiful book which I cannot recommend highly enough.

+1 on the description of that one - it's a beautiful book.

My favourite book is "A long, long way" by Sebastian Barry. I just adore that book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sumire

Anything by Murakami, mostly Kafka on the Shore though. And Love in the Time of Cholera too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Extremely hard to pick just one but the likes of Catch 22, Remains of the Day, In Cold Blood, The Catcher in the Rye, Candide and Les Grandes Meaulnes would be in the running.

If I had to chose I think I'd have to give it to one of books I read as a kid, probably Watership Down. I remember having read all of Roald Dahls books and moving onto stuff like WD and Lord of the Flies when I was about 10/11, I already had an interest in reading but those two books really turned it from a passing interest into a real passion. I have read better books since but none has stayed with me or sparked my imagination to the same degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

By Reason Of Insanity by Shane Stevens

Scary stuff!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Riotous Assembly by Tom Sharpe is one of my all time fave's. So many funny pieces in it. It's the sort of book i can read over and over.

I was also blown away by The Road, like so many other people. I was expecting it to be good, but it was unbelieveable and probably the best book i have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Probably The Grapes of Wrath for all-timer.

Last few years a couple stick in my memory - In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, Coin Locker Babies by Ryu Murakami (the other Murakami), also, now that I think of it The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki M. was great.

Stephen King's Pet Sematary was particularly creepy and very well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

the lord of the rings is my all time favourite still! more recently, kite runner is a really amazing book i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Catch-22 would be up there for regular fiction, neuromancer by william gibson was one of the best sci fi I have ever read & Wild swans by jung chang was very interesting & depressing for real life reads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Probably American Psycho. It's so well written. It's so funny, dark and cynical. It's brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 manfist

id hafta say 1984 by george orwell , which is my all time favourite book.
    its unbelivable.
    id recomend it over the lord of the rings ina second which i see people saying(although it is another classic)

Advertisement