Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite book of all time (or just at the moment)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭KevinH

East of Eden is mentioned alot on this thread so I thought I'd post ... I'm most of the way through it and I've never really seen it listed as people's favourite book before.

I think it's very good ... adam trask, charles and cal are great characters ... but cathy, lee and samuel hamilton just don't hold together ... if they were more understated characters it would be up there for me but as it is no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Well I actuall bought 2 copies of this for other people, "Auto da Fé by Elias Cannetti" but that was in 1977.

More recently "Birdsong by Sabastian Faulks", did'nt buy copies for anybody, but talked a lot about it. If u want to know what it was like in the trenches of the First World War, this is the book to read.

P.S. The first 100 pages are a love story, and then the war starts.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I've read "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson several times and it never fails to blow my mind. A very important book for me; pretty much made me want to become a biologist of some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Jackie Loves Johnser OK

That book was top notch. Very good story to it and its just about life in Ireland for the 2 of them. Haven't read it in a while now but I have read it twice before and may do again. Anybody else ever read it? What you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

Walden; Life in the Woods by Thoreau - that guy resonates so much with me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MissIT

1984 by George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Life of Pi - Yan Martel - The idea of picking it up to read some more made me smile.
    Do androids dream of electric sheep? - Philip K Dick - My preferred vision of the future
    The Stand - Stephen King - A great post apocalyptic adventure
    The Reality Dysfunction - Peter F Hamilton - The ultimate space opera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

It's between:

Fortress of Solitude - Jonathan Lethem

or

The Yiddish Policemen's Union - Michael Chabon

Chabon probably pips it.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

'A Deepness in the Sky' by Vernor Vinge

'The Dark Tower' series by Stephen King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Memoirs of a geisha - Arthur Golden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Lord of the Rings - the endless possibilities of discovery through travel contained in this book still fills me with optimism.

An Evil Cradling - Brian Keenan's book. I'll never forget his description of the smell and color of a bowl of fruit against a horrifically bleak background. An essential read.

The man who loved a polar bear (and other psychotherapist's tales) - Robert U. Akeret's autobiographical yearning for answers in his latter years has placed characters in my mind that will never fade - Please Read.

Cheers and I'll be making additions to my reading list from your recommendations.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bebra

As a kid, it would have been Huckleberry Finn.
    All time favourite is probably The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Yo Mamma wrote: »
    'The Dark Tower' series by Stephen King
    That good?, Ive been putting of reading it for a while ;)

Mine was The Alchemist, loved it. Not a classic in the sense of East of Edan or Catch 22 but it left me feeling good.....

+ Anything by Steven Erikson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aghastlrbaboon

Perfume by Patrick Suskind is an all time favourite. really enjoyable dark humour, an engrossing story and a totally remarkable double barrell ending.

I will throw my affection for sf/fantasy in as well with Frank Herbert's 'Dune' and the first 3 Foundation novels by Asimov ranked as all-time greats. I also think anything i've read by A.E van Vogt has been amazing particularly 'the world of Null-A' , 'the pawns of Null-A' and 'the voyage of the Space Beagle' (stilll cant find a copy of Slan for all my efforts)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stethebee

A Short History of Nearly Everything

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The Time-Traveller's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger, which I've just re-read. It was such a cool, effortless, unsappy love story with an amazingly original twist. I think it has to be my favourite.

Or...We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. This one was sitting on my shelf for ages because one of the press snippets on the front cover said "for anyone who has or has thought about having kids", which is not me :-) But I identified so much with the main character (the mother, not Kevin!) when I finally read it, and I loved the metaphors and writing style. Fantastic book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 miaowchi

Bill Bryson -
    A Short History of Nearly Everything..... answers sooooo many questions. Everyone has to read this book!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

MissIT wrote: »
    1984 by George Orwell
    Same :D:)

That or the David Gemmel - Troy Trilogy (can't pick 1 ):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.
    The way this one is written and composed is beyond amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Have to agree with Wuthering Heights...very challenging, depressing book, but unforgettable...I also love A Clockwork Orange and The Collector, two books I keep coming back to...for all it's incredibility I adore Great Expectations...De Niro's Game for it's sheer understatement and beautiful prose...and The Age of Innocence...*adore*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

Shantaram - It sounds ridiculous when summarised as "A convicted armed robber escapes from a maximum security prison, fleas to Bombay, joins the mafia as a smuggler and counterfeiter, gets jailed again, and later joins the war in Afghanistan as a mercenary..." But it's not that kind of book at all. Absolutely phenomenal, even just for it's description of Mumbai (which makes all the stuff mentioned above extra sweet! ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

The diving bell and the butterfly - inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

Off the top of my head, Flowers for Algernon - One of the most memorable books I've had the good fortune to come across, I've no problem with others taste but it irritates me when people say they couldnt follow it because of the phonetic writing style of the first quarter of the book.

Portrait of Dorian Gray, One of the few classics that lived up to its reputation, spare but effective writing style coupled with engaging plot.

Read East of Eden years ago and loved every minute, although i did tend to read less critically and could lose myself in a story much more easily back then.

And the Magus by John Fowles, found it depressingly easy to identify with the protagonist.

Guilty pleasures would include the collected works of Stephen King and Irvine Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand for me as well. The ideology of the book mightn't go down well during recession times but the book is still a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Right now at the moment, I think 1984 by George Orwell is my favourite book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Shantaram - It sounds ridiculous when summarised as "A convicted armed robber escapes from a maximum security prison, fleas to Bombay, joins the mafia as a smuggler and counterfeiter, gets jailed again, and later joins the war in Afghanistan as a mercenary..." But it's not that kind of book at all. Absolutely phenomenal, even just for it's description of Mumbai (which makes all the stuff mentioned above extra sweet! ;) )
    Aren't they making a movie of this with Johnny Depp in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

William Boyd
    Stars and Bars

Tim Krabbe
    The Vanishing

Roddy Doyle
    The Van

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

Kolyma Tales by Varlam Shalamov

Absolute genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Crime and Punishment - Dostoevksy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Saibh wrote: »
    Crime and Punishment - Dostoevksy

Just finished it, and I would use the adjective tedious to describe it. Didnt like it that much.

Advertisement