Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite book of all time (or just at the moment)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

turgon wrote: »
    Just finished it, and I would use the adjective tedious to describe it. Didnt like it that much.

Crime and Punishment was the first ever classic I read. I was doing the leaving cert at the time and I really enjoyed it. The suspense, the madness, everything. I read a lot of Russian literature after this and only one ever came close and it was Hero of our Time by Lermontov.

My favourite book always changes but this year it would be a draw between The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. I found these books to be very complementary and was glad I read both. Ayn Rand is very inspirational and these books are nothing short of absolute epics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

My favourite book of all time is the Golden Pages although the way the recession is going it won't be relevant by Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

ibh wrote: »
    I haven't actually read many other Sharpe books. I think he wrote the Wilt books.
    I'll have to look out for Blot on the Landscape.

Find and read Indecent Exposure and Riotous Assembly by Tom Sharpe. You'll nearly die laughing, and you'll also know why he was thrown out of South Africa. Then read Porterhouse Blue - a really funny book.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

It's a very tough question but I'd have to go with either:

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
    or
    Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

I don't think I could possibly choose.

As a kid I remember my favourite books were His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman and I guess I still have a soft spot for them over the other 2 which I've only read in the past year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Oliverdog wrote: »
    Find and read Indecent Exposure and Riotous Assembly by Tom Sharpe. You'll nearly die laughing, and you'll also know why he was thrown out of South Africa. Then read Porterhouse Blue - a really funny book.

I haven't read Riotous Assembly, I think, but I heartily second the other two. Oh, and for what it's worth, I didn't like the couple of Wilt books I read at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I can't help loving Slaughterhouse 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Book of the moment is Cry the beloved country by Alan Paton, but am gonna look for those Sharpe books...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

My 3 favourite books would be

1.The World According to Garp - John Irving
    2.East of Eden - John Steinbeck
    3.Trinity - Leon Uris

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Sean Templar

All things are lights by Robert Shea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

Amongst Women by John McGahern
    Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee
    Timbuktu by Paul Auster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭finalfantasist

I have a good few books I've greatly enjoyed.

Three books I really enjoy are:

The Princess Bride
    The Neverending Story
    Reaper Man

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
    The Brendan Voyage - Tim Severin
    Travels with Herodotus - Ryszard Kapuscinski

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Its a toss between Les Miserables and Lord of the Rings. A rare combination but there you go. I have always like the contrasts of almost extreme virtue and vice (Or reform) which both do very well.

Advertisement