Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone tried astral projection.

Options
  • 14-09-2008 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

I listened to a friends tape as a curiousity. it involves deep relaxation and the middle pillar exercise seeing light flow thorugh the chakras. At the end I saw a bright light and felt a pull towards but then woke up. A bit scary to be honest.

Strangely I noticed people treated me different in the following days. They were a lot more chatty and open, people who had not spoken to me before suddenly did

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭LCDeelite

I have never tried astral projection simply because I don't know how. Like you said though, there are tapes whose sounds can induce the physical and mental states conducive to leaving your physical body. Out of interest, where did your friend get that tape? I know you can buy those online but I would have my doubts about the efficacy of each and every one of them.

But what you experienced sounds cool. Did it take much effort to 'get back to reality'? My only concern would be coming down to earth again- back to the real world and such. It's probably best (when you're inexperienced) to conduct that sort of thing in the company of someone you trust.

I find it interesting how people around you seemed to be more receptive to you in the days following the astral projection. I'm not totally convinced about blocked chakras, open chakras and the like, but maybe you had cleared some of your main seven chakras through the projection?

They say that the clearer your chakras are, the stronger and brighter your aura is, making other people more comfortable with you. It also means that you're less susceptible to illnesses (physical and/or mental) and stress in general, being that a strong aura acts as an impenetrable shield for you.

Spiritual leaders like the Dalai Lama are reputed to have energy bodies (auras, whatever) that can extend for hundreds of metres in length. As opposed to the average person's aura that tends to stay quite close to the body- particularly when fear is aroused in them.

Well, it's all hugely interesting in theory but none of this is conclusive yet. Plants and animals (including humans) do have energy fields, though. It ties in with physics. As far its correlation with reiki and the like, I don't know..

I read an intriguing story once about 'The Sleeping Prophet', Edgar Cayce (now deceased). Whether it's true or not, I still find it fascinating..

Edgar Cayce recounted how he was once waiting for an elevator/lift in a building to take him downstairs. When the lift opened, he saw that there were several people in it but that there were no 'lights' surrounding their heads.

Their auras were almost black. 'Lights' circling their heads would have been the norm for living persons, according to him. He was taken aback by this so he refused to step into the lift, opting to use the stairs instead.

A short while later, he heard that all of those people in that lift (the one he was considering using) had plummeted to their deaths. There had been some technical fault in the lift..

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

LCDeelite wrote: »
    Out of interest, where did your friend get that tape? I
    I don't know but i do know it is by Dick Sutphen
    But what you experienced sounds cool. Did it take much effort to 'get back to reality'?
    .Well I jerked back as i wrote not sure if i got out completely
    I find it interesting how people around you seemed to be more receptive to you in the days following the astral projection. I'm not totally convinced about blocked chakras, open chakras and the like, but maybe you had cleared some of your main seven chakras through the projection?
    very weird and i am not really convinced re clearing chakras either ,maybe co incidence
    Edgar Cayce recounted how he was once waiting for an elevator/lift in a building to take him downstairs.
    :eek:
    I read that story too

Okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It happens to me automatically when ever I do a chakra meditation, starts at my feet and works it way up along my body, when it gets to my chest I always get palpitations and that usually stops the projection from progressing any further.
    If you're really into trying it, there's a book by a guy called Opheil. "The Art & Practice of Astral Projection" very good book. He describes Five main methods of acheiving Astral Projection.
    The Christos Method is apparently the most used method.
    http://www.astralrealms.com/blog/2007/04/astral-projuection-using-christos.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What I always think as soon as I hear the term Astral Projection is; How can you know its not just a lucid dream where you think you're leaving your body?

It'd be very easy to test, like leaving a random playing card on top of the fridge and see if you can see it, and then check later.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    What I always think as soon as I hear the term Astral Projection is; How can you know its not just a lucid dream where you think you're leaving your body?

It'd be very easy to test, like leaving a random playing card on top of the fridge and see if you can see it, and then check later.

Yeah, it'd be worthwhile to conduct an experiment on this with some controls in place.. Obviously, the whole idea of experiencing astral projection to begin with is very subjective for the person experiencing it.. :cool:

Would it be possible to induce that state in someone if they're fully aware of it being an experiment? I mean, would they still be able to descend into that state of mind despite any distractions?

It would be worth a go anyway. Anyone willing to try it in the presence of other, scientifically-minded boardsies??

LCDeelite wrote: »

Yeah, it'd be worthwhile to conduct an experiment on this with some controls in place.. Obviously, the whole idea of experiencing astral projection to begin with is very subjective for the person experiencing it.. :cool:

Would it be possible to induce that state in someone if they're fully aware of it being an experiment? I mean, would they still be able to descend into that state of mind despite any distractions?

It would be worth a go anyway. Anyone willing to try it in the presence of other, scientifically-minded boardsies??
    My understanding of Astral Projection is that you have to be aware/awake, otherwise you're Lucid Dreaming. When it happens to me I'm always fully aware of what's happening and never asleep or even close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

tallus wrote: »
    My understanding of Astral Projection is that you have to be aware/awake, otherwise you're Lucid Dreaming. When it happens to me I'm always fully aware of what's happening and never asleep or even close to it.

Then why don't you do as I suggested? Find a very high shelf in your house, or the top of a door or something, pick a random playing card from a deck, and without looking at it put it up there facing up. Then, next time you go astral traveling see what the card is and later, after you're back, look at the card with your normal eyes and see if you got it right.

Also, in regard to lucid dreaming, there's no reason a person couldn't use meditation to go straight from awake to lucid dreaming, as opposed to the more typical awake -> sleep -> lucid dreaming.

I have tried it in the past, I memorised certain areas around the house, and visualised them while trying to project, haven't actually managed to project yet tho as I get panickey when it starts to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

I get Sleep paralysis alot which in turn led me to read about certain things, astral projection being one of them.It's a funny subject.

• Advertisement
Advertisement